1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.47%
Voters: 430. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-08-08, 15:12   Link #61
mist2123
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mist2123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icey View Post
Well this aint going anywhere so let this be the last one.

1st
Who are you talking about, could be both of them

2nd
Well, when he geass pople to answer his questions he ask them several questions not just one... then he should be able to give 2 diffrent comands to.

3rd
Nope i dont, i've already said that that was a diffrence

4rd
I dont, and probaly he dont, but to be honerst that dosent really matter, what i meant about the similar ending was the way
Spoiler:

5th
Well their goals are the same (even here they are useing kind of exactly the same line.)
Spoiler:

Noting more need to be said

6th
Spoiler:

I say it once again: They are similar, in what grade is a matter of oppinion. But still they are two completely diffrent Animes and one of the reasons ive gave it 7/10 was beacuarse i saw to much death note in it.
uhh... you guys are in the wrong forum this isnt the discussion thread
mist2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 17:53   Link #62
ElecNinja

Eh, kind of made that post in a hurry.
Oh well.
Bias? I actually liked both Light and Lulu. Unless it was something else.
But I still see the two characters quite differently. Some similar things, but not too many that you can say Light=Lulu.
ElecNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 18:21   Link #63
Ky-66
Nuclear Trance

While I like both Geass and Deathnote a lot I still think they are very different. To say that Geass is Death note with mechs is just wrong. I do see the comparison of the geass and the death note as plot devices and the way both characters control the people around them, but the characters themselves still have different goals and motivation(nunally and a meritocracy, vs the more unrealistic goal of a utopia and wanting to be god) and personalities(lulu has friends, people he cares about and that care about him, light doesnt really care about individuals all that much just the ideal) and situations(brittanian prince and student vs. just a student, light doesnt have any problems to begin with, while lulu is always thrust into different situations[contract or his own death, killing euphie wasnt his idea, his mothers death and his exile to japan])

Also besides the comparison between lulu and light and possibly C.C. and Ryuk(the relationship each of those have with their respective main character is completely different in my opinion), I see no other similar characters.

With that said, I dont mind people comparing death note to code geass, just when people say that their basically the same show(which is what started this whole mess)
Ky-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 18:32   Link #64
Echoes

The reason so many people compare the two is pretty much always based on the similarities of the protagonists, Light and Lelouch. There's really no other parallels I'd draw between the two. If you like one, you might like the other, but I don't think it's a given. Code Geass has a more childish touch, so I reckon younger people are inclined to like it better.

They're both excellent animes, though.
Old 2007-08-08, 18:48   Link #65
Icey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-66 View Post
While I like both Geass and Deathnote a lot I still think they are very different. To say that Geass is Death note with mechs is just wrong. I do see the comparison of the geass and the death note as plot devices and the way both characters control the people around them, but the characters themselves still have different goals and motivation(nunally and a meritocracy, vs the more unrealistic goal of a utopia and wanting to be god) and personalities(lulu has friends, people he cares about and that care about him, light doesnt really care about individuals all that much just the ideal) and situations(brittanian prince and student vs. just a student, light doesnt have any problems to begin with, while lulu is always thrust into different situations[contract or his own death, killing euphie wasnt his idea, his mothers death and his exile to japan])

Also besides the comparison between lulu and light and possibly C.C. and Ryuk(the relationship each of those have with their respective main character is completely different in my opinion), I see no other similar characters.

With that said, I dont mind people comparing death note to code geass, just when people say that their basically the same show(which is what started this whole mess)
Fine, after reading this i think ill have to give up.
But, to sort some things out, from the beginning i did not say that lulu=Light.
And a mecha version of death note is a good way to decibe this show in short, I think atleast.
The reasons: Geass and death note power is quite alike (dont bring up diffrence again please) and the main plot of trying to make a better world useing it (and please, dont bring up new stuffs that that isnt the main plot in CG, it might be nor, but in my eyes it is)
Icey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 19:27   Link #66
Ky-66
Nuclear Trance

Quote:
And a mecha version of death note is a good way to decibe this show in short, I think atleast.

The reasons: Geass and death note power is quite alike (dont bring up diffrence again please) and the main plot of trying to make a better world useing it (and please, dont bring up new stuffs that that isnt the main plot in CG, it might be nor, but in my eyes it is)
See, the reason I dont think it is a good way to describe the show is because your reasons leave way too much unsaid. I think that making the world a better place is just a smaller part of the big picture. Furthermore, even without counting whether each show has mechs, the setting for both shows is still completely different. And although the main character have a similarity because there are no other similar characters the character in influenced differently by the different characters leading to a completely different plot. So basically since everything else is different IMO the show doesnt have enough similarities to be just classified as death note with mechs.

but then again i think weve reached a stalemate.
Old 2007-08-08, 19:28   Link #67
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Spoiler for On the comparison debate:

Overall series impressions from both is that DN accomplished it's goal IMO, and Code Geass has yet to accomplish it's goal...I look forward to CG having as much content as it had in S1, but I find it kind of tuff to believe based upon the events of ep 26..Great series but I don't think it capitalized as much as it could setting up the next season with the whole "Who shot JR"-esque moment...Thought that was a bit too cliché for my taste...DN's ending (which can't really be compared because it's a true-ending) didn't end cliché at all IMO and actually shattered my thinking on various levels in a good way...
Old 2007-08-08, 19:33   Link #68
Ky-66
Nuclear Trance

i agree with nearly everything you said.

your location is K-ville? Where i go to college is abreviated as k-ville too. lol

edit: oh and I think that theyll pull a new plot twist no one has seen coming when they explain this final scene, considering how often this show has surprised me in its plot developtment.
Old 2007-08-08, 19:38   Link #69
Juvyniled

While I'm not overly concerned about the cliche ending, what does bother me is where the episode leaves off. I'm assuming since this whole series began in Japan and has stayed in Japan, it will end in Japan. I have nothing against the Japanese or their country but it just doesn't resolve how the next 25 episodes will portray the collapse of Britannian Empire (unless they're trying to foreshadow the continued existence of it). I can hardly believe that the emperor and the whole army and what not will shift their entire regimen to Japan (maybe the emperor's sanctuary, forgot what it was called, is located in Japan).

... but since the plot has progressed this far without shifting to any other nation, I suppose that is how it will be played out.
Juvyniled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 19:55   Link #70
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-66 View Post
i agree with nearly everything you said.

your location is K-ville? Where i go to college is abreviated as k-ville too. lol
Well I live in New Orleans, and K-VILLE (Katrina-ville) is a new series coming to the FOX network this fall about the NO Police department starring Transformers' Anthony Anderson...If you keep your eyes open and watch ep 2, I'm bar patron #2 wearing blue-shades...LMAO, yeah I was an extra last week on the show^^...Anyways never heard of K-VILLE university ^o^...

Quote:
edit: oh and I think that theyll pull a new plot twist no one has seen coming when they explain this final scene, considering how often this show has surprised me in its plot developtment
They better, because there's no way they can get 5 episodes let-alone 25 out of this war-scenerio...It's like ep 26 did everything but end the series, not leaving much for you to take with you as you wait for the next series other than the fact we all know neither Lulu or the White Kinght will be killed by that shot...That's why I found it a tad bit too cliche for setting up a new season...We all know neither of them will die..I would have perfered a bloody MS battle between the two instead if it was gonna end like that....
Old 2007-08-08, 20:01   Link #71
Ky-66
Nuclear Trance

Quote:
Well I live in New Orleans, and K-VILLE (Katrina-ville) is a new series coming to the FOX network this fall about the NO Police department starring Transformers' Anthony Anderson...If you keep your eyes open and watch ep 2, I'm bar patron #2 wearing blue-shades...LMAO, yeah I was an extra last week on the show^^...Anyways never heard of K-VILLE university ^o^...
lol i'll watch that show and look for you

Truman state university, in kirksville missouri. Time magazine called it the "Harvard of the Midwest", which i think must have been a really bad joke considering some of the people that go to school there and how easy most of the classes are.
Old 2007-08-08, 20:11   Link #72
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Fun imaginative and very creative series. The character development for just about everyone in the series was great. I found CG very easy to follow and very easy to become addicted to. The questions of might makes right was a source of heated debates in the thread but that what makes the series wonderful. I Think we could all identify with the 2 males leads Lulu and Suzaku even if you hated either of them. The gorgeous animation and mech designs only added to the potential of the series. I Hope season 2 keeps up the pace. IF anything i learned from CG is the world is not fair pick you allies carefully and there is always some freaky science chick out there ready to make a bomb. a 10 it is in my book
Old 2007-08-08, 20:28   Link #73
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvyniled View Post
... but since the plot has progressed this far without shifting to any other nation, I suppose that is how it will be played out.
I can see why you say that but... god, I hope it won't stay in Japan. I don't put it past Japanese animators to make their country the center of the world again, and Lulu's goal really is to drag out the emperor, but the Chinese (and to some small degree the EU) are already somewhat involved (and will get more involved by the looks of it), and C.C. did say that Lelouch is up against the whole world. He won't win the world by sitting on his ass in the Tokyo Settlement (the thought elevators are scattered all over the globe, too), so I hope/think he will move out of Japan soon and take the fight to his enemies. That's assuming that the series does not shift in a radically different direction thanks to the Geass stuff or due to Nunnally getting involved.

Spoiler for potential season 2 spoilers:
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 21:09   Link #74
Var
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
Spoiler for potential season 2 spoilers:
I'd frame that to go with the other bit of info we have about more romantic developments in Season 2. So it could mean that some sort of love triangle, rectangle, or dodecagon might form. I would honestly love to see a love-dodecagon, sure would make Lelouch's life 'interesting' to say the least ... that and I've never seen it.
Var is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 21:34   Link #75
Blue_Mercy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Var View Post
I'd frame that to go with the other bit of info we have about more romantic developments in Season 2. So it could mean that some sort of love triangle, rectangle, or dodecagon might form. I would honestly love to see a love-dodecagon, sure would make Lelouch's life 'interesting' to say the least ... that and I've never seen it.
At least from Kallen's point of view you always got this sense of jealously whenever C.C. was around, actually I expected it even more when C.C. became the co-pilot of Gawain. Of course that was before she knew Zero was Lelouch, but if she remembers what she said to Zero in 13 and that Japan will get free assuming Lelouch can turn the tables, we might actually get to see that love triangle come into play. Like I've said before though if Kallen switches sides and fights with Suzaku, it will not only be unoriginal writing because of GS(i.e. CagallixAthrun), but the throwing away of a great character and alot of people's favorite character.
Blue_Mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 21:43   Link #76
Var
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Mercy View Post
At least from Kallen's point of view you always got this sense of jealously whenever C.C. was around, actually I expected it even more when C.C. became the co-pilot of Gawain. Of course that was before she knew Zero was Lelouch, but if she remembers what she said to Zero in 13 and that Japan will get free assuming Lelouch can turn the tables, we might actually get to see that love triangle come into play. Like I've said before though if Kallen switches sides and fights with Suzaku, it will not only be unoriginal writing because of GS(i.e. CagallixAthrun), but the throwing away of a great character and alot of people's favorite character.
I don't care for the character as much as I care about the the plot problems a GS move would make. In this story it just can't happen unless its forced in a way that will probably be very obvious. They would need to throw out some key parts of past episodes (13 as the most blaring) and values of war in order to pull the GS. It's sunrise... who knows.

I still want my love dodecagon.
Var is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 21:47   Link #77
Juvyniled

I've gotta snicker at the fact that Kallen's potential has reduced to nothing more than a love interest.

Your posts belong on the romance thread.
Juvyniled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-10, 19:55   Link #78
4Tran

I find Code Geass to be a bit of a mixed bag; it tackles a subject that I'm interested in, but I find its execution to be lacking lacking in places.

Main Good points:
- Lelouch as the main character. Ambiguous characters as the protagonist isn't all that common in anime, and it's done in an interesting manner here. Lelouch allows the story to be told in a bunch of innovative ways, and innovation is always good.

- C.C. as Lelouch's confidante. In many ways, C.C. acts as Lelouch's foil, and their interplay is quite interesting. C.C. may need Lelouch for her purposes (whatever they happen to be), but she's the only character who refuses to put up with his nonsense. Even their dialogue is quite decent.

- Emphasis on ideas rather than mecha. I find it refreshing to see mecha used almost as an afterthought compared to the rest of the story.

- Thematic diversity. While Code Geass is a fairly serious show, it doesn't take itself too seriously, and is willing to have a fun episode from time to time. I find that this mixes up the mood quite well, and gives the more dramatic story points more impact.

Main Bad points:
- Lelouch as the main character. I feel that Code Geass is trying fairly hard to present him as the "good guy", but his actions indicate that he's far from that.

- Suzaku as the rival. I don't really mind Suzaku, but I hate the way the creators are trying to build up the man-a-mano rivalry between him and Lelouch. I generally think that such rivalries are silly, and it detracts from the rest of the show.

- Storytelling cowardice. With the way the creators set up Euphemia, they opened up plenty of fresh storytelling opportunities. However, they decided to chicken out, and brought the story back into well-trodden territory. I find this to be very disappointing.

- Britannia. While I can see why the show needs Britannia to be the villain, it could certainly have been handled better. Instead, we get Britannians all but saying "Look at how evil I can be! RAR!" It's awkward, it's clumsy, and it's bad writing.

- Mecha combat. For the most part, I find most mecha combat in anime to be uninspired and uninteresting - Code Geass is no exception.

- Super powers. The show would have been much more interesting if there weren't any super powers. It would mean that the creators will have to rely on clever ideas to tell the story rather than plot-convenient powers. Technically, the is less a negative than it is a missed opportunity.

In the final tally, I find that Code Geass is a good show (about a 7 if I were inclined to vote), but that there's lots of current shows that appeal to me more.
Old 2007-08-11, 02:13   Link #79
Archer

Hmm.

Characterization: 5

As some people have noted here, Code Geass had a lot of possibilities for its characters. Unfortunately, it also squandered a lot of these said possibilities and left many of their characters in the dust. The Japanese were depicted as a proud, independent, and capable people, though in the end they became pretty much nothing without Zero's capabilities. Kallen is the worst offender; she turned from a headstrong rebel to a mindless buffoon that followed Zero religiously (although things may change in the next season, but eh). We also have Mao, who I think served absolutely no purpose in the story aside from Lelouch wasted a geass on himself and Shirley (which is something that bugs me too, but I'll get back to that). Britannia's the best of the lot, although we still know very little about the actual empire.

Suzaku's a walking deus ex machina. Lelouch was depicted as intelligent and cunning individual (well, as intelligent as any idiot moving the king first in the game in the first episode) who could've been just as well off if he hadn't had the Geass, but now he's practically putting his entire life on it as if it's the only asset he has. (Which is probably true, as all of Lelouch's plans thus far revolved primarily on the Geass. I don't think he even had any other kind of plans.)

Scripting: 4

Dropped three points just for the Mao arc alone. Really, what did that actually accomplish? Barely any kind of character development and in the end everybody goes back to being normal. Then take away another point for concluding basically none of the plotlines introduced in the series (I think that Japan should at least be liberated at this point). Oh, and the worst offender of the lot: Euphinator.

Come on, people. It just so happens that you make a joke of horrible taste (which was already bad enough at that point), but your Geass somehow manages to go off at the same time, AND you're in the vicinity of the most important person there at the moment. Oh, and she just happens to be the only person that wouldn't do something like that. How terribly (in)convenient. This isn't a plot twist, this is a plot contortion just to get the story moving.

Animation: 7

If you have several extra months to air the final episodes, at least try to make them look somewhat better than the quality of the original series? The battle sequences were lol-worthy.

Music: 7

Eh, decent, but man the second opening sucked.

If I had to give an average, I would say 4.5. It's on the level of Destiny, storytelling and character-wise. Code Geass relies so heavily upon the drama aspects of the show that the actual comedy and drama parts have become indistinguishable. Really, it's actually kinda sad. Sunrise lost its touch a long time ago.

And the director used to be good, too.

Last edited by Archer; 2007-08-11 at 02:24.
Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-11, 15:53   Link #80
Niar

9/10
I loved the anime i had a good feeling by watching it, and that is what it should be important. Not many animes got me by those feelings, but CG did it even thought it have flaws which doesn't matter for me.

(For DN: i was bored/ nearly annoyed by watching it)

(sry for my English in advance)
Niar is offline   Reply With Quote