AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2006-04-23, 11:05   Link #61
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Divx4 never really caught on and xvid pretty much stole divx5's momentum. A lot of groups stuck with good old fashioned SBC divx 3.11a until 2003 (I know I did.)

So none of the really old timers frequent this forum, huh? I'm curious what it was like in early 2000.

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-23, 13:53   Link #62
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph
Ah, I also remember the era of when TextSub plug was still new to everyone. I don't recall, but it might've been an effect on the op/ed that seemed humanly impossible to do in one of HnK releases, and I went on the holy grail quest to find out how it was done. Then I wrote a FAQ, but no one read it... heh. I also tried to teach others how karaoking is done, but no one read that either.
I've mentioned this in another thread I believe, but our early experiments with a pre-release version of TextSub began with PitaTen episode 3. Jasconius had obtained it and was messing around with it to see what it could do, and the result is a flashy karaoke opening that is now completely uncharacteristic of us. =p (I like to think that our effects even back then weren't the over-the-top flashy "we're more important than the opening!" crap you see all too often now.)

I've been around a -long- time, but not in digisubbing... I have memories of, very long ago, re-encoding PlayStation video game openings to Indeo. The release of VirtualDub and DivX3 were an incredible breakthrough. (Keep in mind these were not the VDub and DivX of today - VDub was incredibly crash prone to the point that you would often have to start an encode over up to three times because it would bring up that core dump error dialog for no apparent reason late into the encode, and DivX itself had all sorts of strange visual errors, even worse than the ones that still persist in 3.11alpha. I later actually began encoding with a simple patch of the original MS MPEG-4 V3 codec to get around these issues.) But before these came out, I don't think digisubbing was really feasible, and it was far more common to see analog captures of VHS fansubs released as ASF or RM. (Thankfully VIVO was on its way out and I never had to deal with it.)

My first real involvement with a subtitling group was actually HQA - I started by helping edit a few of the early Hand Maid May episodes (the first true digisub I ever watched was their episode 1, encoded in VDub with the old Enforcer subtitle plugin). I believe my only significant contribution to the group was my share of the work on releasing the Zone of the Enders 2167 Idolo OVA. I was around for a few of the Noir and Iketeru Futari releases, but in May of 2001 we parted ways due to some significant differences in opinion. (We'll just leave it at that.) This is actually the date that I attribute as HnK's formation, as I took a few of my personal projects with me as I left. Unfortunately, none of these ever came to fruition.

As for the network HnK was located on - we started out with having an EFnet and DALnet presence. The EFnet presence was a given - it was the IRC network I had been with for many years at that point, and I was still running a fairly decently-sized channel administration botnet at the time (the type that existed in sheer numbers of bots only to prevent mass deop and netsplit hack attacks), so holding a channel in a network without services was not an issue. I don't entirely recall why we had a second channel in DALnet - but it was empty and unused to the point that it really served no purpose, even before the mass group exodus to EnterTheGame. It was shortly before our first release of a full episode (Final Fantasy: Unlimited episode 1) in October 2001 that we decided to set up a channel there as well. After a while, it was clear that most users were in ETG and that spreading our IRC fserve-based distribution between three networks was unwise, so we ended up moving everything to ETG, and we've been there ever since.
Old 2006-04-23, 14:12   Link #63
Thelastguardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
Huh? They are talking about asf as a container format. Not divx3.11a.
Which is why I said ASF+Divx -_- .

Quote:
Wait what? E-F never switched to Divx4. Infact, only a handful of groups were stupid enough to switch to it. (Bakamx, Ishin are the only two I can remember though I know there were more. The majority still used divx3.11a until divx5 and xvid appeared.) Divx5 v1 first appeared the same year divx4 did. Now, that was a bandwagon people joined.
My mistake then. Probably D5.
Old 2006-04-23, 19:55   Link #64
Asura Zanmaden
A-E Timer/Slacker

Send a message via AIM to Asura Zanmaden Send a message via Yahoo to Asura Zanmaden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei
I had access to it. One of BakaMX's co-founders (dk_dusk) was a fairly influential korean on their anime trading scene and gave me a login. It was an incredible site. Leaps and bounds better than anything we even have today.

Imagine a web site with unlimited bandwidth and every episode of anime that airs, with really HQ raws, up for download mere hours after airing and with timed translation files (always .smi) up less than 24 hrs. This was before bit torrent, these were direct links.

This was where a lot of groups got their start from. BakaMX was one. This was also partially responsible for AnimeJunkies being able to sub so fast. If you saw an ep of theirs that said "Timed by Killshok" that meant "timing stolen from the korean release".

You'd be shocked at some of the shows that were being subbed that were actually Japanese -> korean -> English translations. A proper translator, with a knowledge of some Japanese, could do an excellent job. Korean and Japanese are, linguistically speaking, very close. Also, the culture references are more similar than compared to Western societies. Lastly, there are loads of Japanese-Korean bilinguals, and they tend to have an extremely high proficiency with the language, so the initial translations were very high quality.

Anyone remember FiveStar? I think he was an early korean fansubber as well as kevp.

Oh, I found this list too. Has some of the earlier groups and their networks:

a-e Anime-Empire #Anime-Empire DALnet/EFnet
a-f Anime-Fansubs #Anime-Fansubs EFnet
a-h Anime-Heaven #Anime-Heaven ANIverse
a-k Anime-Kissaten #Anime-Kissaten EFnet
a-v Anime-Videos #Anime-Videos DALnet
ac AnimeCo #AnimeCo
ad Anime Daisuki #Anime_Daisuki DALnet
adx Anime DivX #AnimeDivX EFnet
af AnimeFactory #AnimeFactory DALnet
ai AnimeInc #AnimeInc ETG
am AnimeMedia #AnimeMedia NewsNet
ampeg AmpegFansubs #animeMPEG DALnet
ani-net anime-network #anime-network DALnet / irc.synfuse.net
ap Anime Papaya #Anime-Papaya
ap AnimeParty #AnimeParty DALnet
ar AnimeRevolution #AnimeRevolution DALnet
as AnimeStation #AnimeStation WebChat
as AnimeSync #AnimeSync EFnet
au AnimeUnion #AnimeUnion WebChat
av AnimeVortex #AnimeVortex EFnet
avn AnimeVision #AnimeVision EFnet
bakamx bakaMX #bakaMX ETG
chiz ChiZeTo #ChiZeTo ETG
cf Choco Fansubs http://chocofansubs.cjb.net
cs Clear Shadow
e-f Elite-Fansubs #Elite-Fansubs ETG
fsf FanSubFiles
fivestar Fivestar
hnk Hikari no Kiseki #HikarinoKiseki DALnet/EFnet
ia Ishin Anime #Ishin-Digital ETG
ishin Ishin Digital #Ishin-Digital ETG
jd JDrama #JDrama EFnet
le LiveEvil
n-ef "Not EF"
nla New Life Anime #NewLife ETG
o-a Omega Anime Anime
p-a Psychlo-Anime #Psychlo-Anime DALnet
solar Solar #Solar ETG
soldats Soldats #Soldats ETG
ssx ssXanime #ssXanime WebChat
super5 Super5 #Super5 EFnet

-Tofu

Yeah... P-A and SSX weren't fansubbers. They were DVD rippers. Trust me on that.

After looking at that list and realizing I was around during that time, especially before the big 'avi craze'... Good lord, I've been in the scene way to long.

Hopefully after my last project, no more of this...

Wait a minute, I said the exact same thing last year... and the year before...
Asura Zanmaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-23, 22:32   Link #65
Morph

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCreator
I've mentioned this in another thread I believe, but our early experiments with a pre-release version of TextSub began with PitaTen episode 3.
I just did a search and am surprised that "textsub" on Google brought up the old FAQ I wrote on the plugin! In the example section, I cited the Pita-Ten opening
Code:
1) -- Hikari no Kiseki: Pita-Ten Episode 04 Opening --

Features:
1) Line changes to a lighter color to create a feel of fade away.
2) Line  fades away "word by word" from left to right instead of the whole thing fades away at once.

How it is done:
1) Via {\t(<t1>,<t2>,\1c&H????&)} from the original style/color
2) Via multiple {\t(<t1>,<t2>,\clip(<x1>,<y1>,<x2>,<y2>)} for each line.  The box shrinks after each segment is deleted, since the words within the box are preserved, if the box shrinks from the left to the right, the appearance of fading from left to right is created.

Done First By: Jasconius (Before 5/07/2002)
I never did find out how you guys did the fading of word for word from left to right! But I suppose it's common knowledge now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCreator
I've been around a -long- time...
And I'm glad you're still around and working on Aria the Natural Keep up the good work!
Morph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 01:19   Link #66
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

I should note that the effect is -much- simpler than you made it out to be. o.O I think a \t was used to get rid of the outline, but a simple \K was all it took to accomplish the wipe (with the target karaoke color having a transparent alpha value).

I should also note that I actually referenced your FAQ extensively as I worked on the last few eps of PitaTen, as neither Jasconius nor oishii were available to finish the remainder of the styling work. I've probably forgotten everything I've learned from it by now, but your work certainly came in handy. =p
Old 2006-04-24, 11:50   Link #67
Access

Quote:
Anyone remember FiveStar? I think he was an early korean fansubber as well as kevp.
I remember his subbing of Baby Love, back when everyone else was doing only shounen stuff.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 20:51   Link #68
Tofusensei

devilray flipping out after "not E-F" releases vandread season 2 before E-F"

This oughta bring back memories

-Tofu
Old 2006-04-24, 22:14   Link #69
Frostbiteh2o
old school leecher
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Frostbiteh2o
I remember back in 2000 or 2001 when e-f and animeco were still on elite-orbit and the server died. That's when animeco went to etg and e-f went to efnet. This was around the time animeco was stubbing tales of .... can't remember the name but around then.
Frostbiteh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 22:28   Link #70
Tofusensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbiteh2o
I remember back in 2000 or 2001 when e-f and animeco were still on elite-orbit and the server died. That's when animeco went to etg and e-f went to efnet. This was around the time animeco was stubbing tales of .... can't remember the name but around then.
Tales of Eternia?

-Tofu
Old 2006-04-25, 05:36   Link #71
Akirasuto.

Remember those extra comments on ToE? ^.^
Akirasuto. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 09:50   Link #72
Frostbiteh2o
old school leecher
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Frostbiteh2o
no not really... so long ago
Old 2006-05-05, 07:53   Link #73
Nozomu

I can probably give a bit of a different perspective here, at the risk of bringing back a topic no one has had anything to say about in a week or so. Tofu will probably appriciate this, unless I'm confusing him with someone else.

My memories of the formations of digisubbing are quite different. I started fansubbing in 97 or 98, and did a few releases, most notably a little Wedding Peach and most of Sailor Moon R, neither of which I can stand to watch today (they stand out, if you've seen them, because I used a really big font rather buy than new glasses, because I bought a used genlock from someone in Hooseki for $300).

Digisubbing changed everything, and it lead to a renewed debate in our little world on the ethics and morality of fansubbing. We were a tight little community, and I'd estimate maybe a third of the old-school fansubbers were present, some big names, some small. So this debate raged on. Endlessly. We were old and set in our ways, so a lot of us didn't like this new technology at all. Some people embraced it and trasitioned from doing VHS fansubs with genlocks to doing digital subs. Some of us thought it was akin to blasphemy, and that fansubs and warez would become the same thing in the eyes of the public. Some of us (and this is the camp I fell under) just thought the debate was better left to people more interested in arguing it at that point, we thought "hey, when we started this, we were watching 11th generation fuzzy VHS copies of Kimagure Orange Road, now they're going to release it on DVD, so let's pat ourselves on the back and go try to get laid for a change." There were rifts, fights, and uncertainty everywhere. Groups dissolved left and right, the genlocks that we had centered our lives on were unceremoniously dumped in closets or tossed out with old pcs (mine is shoved under my dresser with my dreamcast and PS1), pet projects were abandonded (Though right now, today, a big thank you to those first digisubbers for saving me something like $1500 on the Minky Momo and Miracle Girls LDs I was going to buy, paid for a semester in college), and tapes and scripts got chucked a few at a time all over.

A lot of people moved on to different things. As I understand it, one former fansubber now makes a very good living selling sex toys after giving up fansubs because of digisubs. Of course, he was always a pervert.

But one thing is for sure, digisubbing changed everything. And a LOT more people watch anime today then did 10 years ago, so I'd have to say it's been for the better. And it brought a lot of new blood into the hobby. It removed the entry barriers. Instead of hundred or thousands of dollars being spent just to get into fansubbing, you can use free programs and download tv rips or dvd rips and do all the work on your existing hardware. Which is a great thing. Also, I don't see anyone shelling out cash to translators, which was a pretty common practice back in the day that always irked me.

I may be going off topic a bit here, and I may sound like and old fart, but you guys have great toys to play with now. I've been playing with Miyu recently, and it is leaps and bounds above anything I had when I was a fansubber. Karaoke effects and the seemless graphics for things like signs never cease to amaze me. It's just a great thing.

So that's my contribution to the history of digisubs, the end of VHS subbing. In the end, our time was over, and your time was (and really, is) just starting. And even with all the politics and drama and everything (and don't let anyone tell you it's anything new), you've expanded the hobby. In a lot of ways, us old-timers created the hobby you came into, and in a lot of ways, you have far surpassed us.

And sorry if I went on a bit, just suddenly got all nostalgic.
Nozomu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-05, 16:29   Link #74
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozomu
Groups dissolved left and right, the genlocks that we had centered our lives on were unceremoniously dumped in closets or tossed out with old pcs (mine is shoved under my dresser with my dreamcast and PS1), pet projects were abandonded (Though right now, today, a big thank you to those
You guys were using PCs? The club I was in was mostly Amigas and JACOsub. I think toward the end, one guy had a PC with Sub Station Alpha running but that's it. There was a convertor for going between JACO and SSA, so format wasn't that big of a deal.

I remember when digisubs first started coming out, we weren't at all interested since it was all the standard shounen stuff like Vandread and Love Hina, plus the quality (translations, video, etc.) was poor, too poor to show at a club meeting. Most people loved the idea of online distro since it kept the subs truly free, rather than the crooked distros of the time ($44. for 6 VHS tapes), and online distro was nothing new, it had been around since 1997 or so with sites like lunaarts and animedownload.net. Once a 'new batch' of groups like HnK and AnimeCo appeared, groups that weren't just subbing popular shounen stuff, people were more willing to accept it. For a while, some of us were swapping / trading scripts with digisubbers, so they could distro our stuff online and we could show their stuff at our meetings.

I don't remember any big holy wars or debates, most of the subbers in the club were technical people to begin with, understanding that technology changes and you either change with it or get left behind.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-05, 20:02   Link #75
Nozomu

I used a PC (And on my very last VHS sub, a mac), I forget which group used which equipment, though. There was a mix of PC and Amiga that favoered Amiga.

And the free idea of online distribution stopping crooked distro did come up. There was always the rumor that one group who shall remain nameless had bought a house by fansubbing Kenshin. So there was a lot of debate at the time about that versus the impact of digital distribution on the North American market. We eventually came to the conclusion that, for the most part, we don't care anymore, it wasn't our problem now.
Nozomu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-06, 02:37   Link #76
jhcl

Quote:

Those were the days
If i recall correctly the encoder for not E-F was held only in a slightly higher regard to devilray.

not E-F never finished releasing it did they? I seem to recall them making it up to 10 or 11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirasuto.
Remember those extra comments on ToE? ^.^
They only appeared on the last ep right? I still have that on CD somewhere
My memory is probably fuzzy on that one too but it was the encoder who added those comments in and i heard later that they got given quite a bit of flak for doing it. Or I could be wrong... it's been so long
jhcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-06, 08:30   Link #77
Tofusensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhcl
Those were the days
If i recall correctly the encoder for not E-F was held only in a slightly higher regard to devilray.
I am not sure who you are talking about but I know JediNight wasn't really despised in the circles I was in. Maybe they had another encoder?

-Tofu
Old 2006-05-06, 11:04   Link #78
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

Quote:
I am not sure who you are talking about but I know JediNight wasn't really despised in the circles I was in. Maybe they had another encoder?

-Tofu
I still give JediNight a lot of credit for helping me improve my DivX 3 SBC encodings a great deal back when that was still the norm. No animosity from me there.
Old 2006-05-07, 10:30   Link #79
jhcl

Quote:

-Tofu
I'm definitely not talking about JediNight.

Maybe I got it wrong then but i always thought the encoder was someone who went by the name of Himura? I'm pretty sure he was an encoder too or was he just distro for this particular project. It's been along time ^^;;
jhcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-07, 13:30   Link #80
Asura Zanmaden
A-E Timer/Slacker

Send a message via AIM to Asura Zanmaden Send a message via Yahoo to Asura Zanmaden
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhcl
I'm definitely not talking about JediNight.

Maybe I got it wrong then but i always thought the encoder was someone who went by the name of Himura? I'm pretty sure he was an encoder too or was he just distro for this particular project. It's been along time ^^;;
Wasn't Himura from AnimeINC? I think him and Sai-Jin were good buddies.

I know devy hated Himura and practically everyone from AI and most efnet groups with a passion.
Asura Zanmaden is offline   Reply With Quote