AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: How often do you drop a series?
Never! No Retreat, No Surrender 9 7.20%
Rarely, unless the anime gives me actual pain 35 28.00%
I try not to 24 19.20%
Sometimes 19 15.20%
Often 16 12.80%
I don't care if it's the first or last episode, I'll drop it 17 13.60%
Always, anime sucks and I'm only here to emo about it 2 1.60%
I hate polls! They try to simplify everything in a manner too shallow for my hipster needs 3 2.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-03-14, 22:04   Link #61
Dr. Casey

One time when I was really drunk a scene in Code Geass where Lelouch is rude to Shirley (He hung up the phone on her or something because he was in the midst of a battle) made me delete all the episodes I'd downloaded up to that point in a fit of rage, but that's about it. I usually stick with any show I watch.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-14, 22:16   Link #62
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
One time when I was really drunk a scene in Code Geass where Lelouch is rude to Shirley (He hung up the phone on her or something because he was in the midst of a battle) made me delete all the episodes I'd downloaded up to that point in a fit of rage, but that's about it. I usually stick with any show I watch.
Please tell me you finished Code Geass afterwards.
Old 2012-03-14, 22:22   Link #63
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Please tell me you finished Code Geass afterwards.
Definitely made sure to, I love Code Geass. The next morning I was confused whenever I saw that my episodes were all gone and thought maybe my computer contracted a virus or something, but then I remembered what happened the night before, went 'Oh yeah', and found the episode again.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 02:05   Link #64
amatakamata
4koma and web manga fan

Let's see, according to MAL, I have 999 completed and 32 dropped, If I narrowed it to TV series only, it will became 611 completed and 32 dropped. So it's around 1 show dropped every 20 shows.

But then again, most of the shows on my dropped list (with an exception like insanely long running shows and some that I truly dropped like Tsubasa Chronicle 2 and Kurokami) is more like put on-hold, it's just that I was too lazy to get the next episodes, if someone I know happens to have it, I will leech it from them and usually finishes the show when I have time. So "rarely" I guess.
Old 2012-03-16, 08:04   Link #65
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

I dropped Ouran High School Host Club after 6 episodes. I made a right decision there.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 12:53   Link #66
Stealther

I do some very short research about all new animes, like images, creators, plot summary etc. But it usually takes a blatant ecchi show or something really immature for me to not even start a series.

So, I start a lot of animes, since watching the actual episodes gives me a more correct impression. Needless to say I drop a lot within 1-3 episodes. But if I decide to watch more than 3 episodes, I rarely ever drop anything. I think I've dropped/stalled 10 of 700 completed animes according to my AniDB list.
Stealther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 15:44   Link #67
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

The poll choices are entertaining.

I rarely drop them. I never drop them after I have watched a few episodes though, because it is hard to judge a series unless you have watched it to the end.
Plus, you aren't very convincing if you don't watch the entire thing before you judge it.
I might drop a show at the very beginning though, like in one episode or less, if it makes me want to just turn my head in disgust. Can't really say it happened much though. Out of memory, just Boku no Tomodachi ha Sukunai? An otaku on 2ch-level.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 17:52   Link #68
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Well when I pick up series for myself it's pretty rare for me to drop something, the majority of my drops come from my anime club trying or picking up something I just don't care about or was never really interested in. In the last year the only shows I dropped myself was Sengoku Otome: Momoiro Paradox, I think.

So I'd say a try not to, I mean somehow I am still watching BRS despite how bad it was at some points, in hopes of a decent or atleast amusing ending .
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 21:41   Link #69
gsilver

Continuing to watch shows that you don't like is a fool's errand. I readily drop shows if I'm not getting into it.
Old 2012-03-17, 03:46   Link #70
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

NO RETREAT, NO SURRENDER! WE FIGHT TO THE LAST MAN!

Nah, just kidding. I almost never drop series, but I have before. Instead, I just don't watch the ones that don't immediately seem interesting at all, unless I'm given enough outside input from other fans for me to have reason enough to pick it up. I could probably count the number of series I've dropped on one hand, though I can't actually remember when they would have been. Thus, I conclude it couldn't have been many, since I can't even remember which ones.
Old 2012-03-17, 03:55   Link #71
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

I don't think I have watched a single TV anime to its conclusion since Moyashimon aired (fall 2007); at least I can't remember any. I drop series after ten seconds. I drop series after ten minutes. I drop series after ten episodes. I even drop some serious offenders (Madoka Magica) at the very last episode, that's how hardcore I am (although to be fair I livestreamed that episode before deciding I didn't really want to watch it subbed).

When summaries and opinions are just a few button clicks away, there are absolutely no reasons to keep watching something in the hope that it will get better. It usually won't, and if it does people will blog so much about it that it'll be impossible to miss. If you're not enjoying your entertainment, why are you insisting on attempting to entertain yourself with it?
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read

Last edited by TheFluff; 2012-03-17 at 04:08.
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-17, 06:29   Link #72
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled

Send a message via AIM to FLCL
Guilty Crown
FLCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-17, 09:02   Link #73
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

ummm just drop it. the reason you like anime is because you like it right? so if you aren't particularly drawn to some anime then drop it.
Old 2012-03-17, 10:17   Link #74
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I give any show one episode, regardless of who directs, writes or produces it. Any show should be judged on its own merits, not on track record/past glories. If that episode had enough, I continue but reserve the right to drop it if it doesn't deliver on the promise. If there wasn't enough in the 1st episode to make me want to continue, I drop it. I've got a list of around 70 shows to still look into and I'm sure there's others, so I'm not wasting time on something I am 99% sure I won't like. Experience from several hundred shows has shown me it;s a near certainty a show I didn't like earlier didn't become something I like. Steins;Gate is the only exception to that rule for me - but I still struggled to watch it.

At present I've dropped about 1/3 shows I've tried.
Old 2012-03-17, 10:17   Link #75
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I rarely drop shows because I'm very selective about what I choose to watch. I usually watch no more than 3-4 shows per season and generally complete the ones I select. I think the last series I didn't watch to its conclusion was Hakuoki Shinsengumi Kitan. Even the estimable Kuwashima Houko couldn't keep me attached to that.

The overall decline in the quality of noitaminA offerings over the past few seasons has put a big dent in my viewing.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 02:42   Link #76
Tiran86

I'll drop a series at any point if its not entertaining me. I watch anime to be entertained. I generally watch stuff after its finished airing, and if a series doesn't hook me, or loses me along the way I'll stop watching it. Generally I watch stuff that sounds interesting, but sometimes I try the first episode just to see if I want to watch it. There's a lot of shows I've tried the first episode of that I have no interest in watching.

Also, when I drop a series I may go back and watch it at some later point. I dropped Fullmetal panic the second raid on episode 10 a couple of years ago, but I just recently went back and finished it. I've attempted to sit through Junni Kokki twice now, and while I enjoyed the first arc both times, I've never really had the desire to watch anymore than that.
Tiran86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 20:15   Link #77
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

I don't pick up much anime, so I rarely drop. I only drop it when I can't work up the motivation to watch anymore, which only really happens with really boring series (like Shana III).

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 06:44   Link #78
Aqua Knight

^
Me too, I don't pick many anime series at a time. I am very picky when choosing something to watch, and I am now kinda lazy to do a complex searches in order to find what I like.

Series I've dropped that many like:
1) Kaze no Stigma
2) Ao no Exorcist
3) Reborn
and a couple of romance/ ecchi series
Old 2012-03-21, 12:00   Link #79
warita
Dai-Youkai

I do a lot of research before watching a show..... nevertheless, synopsies can be misleading and I have high standards.

I started watching anime back in 2006 and there was so much to chose from and if not from the currently airing batch, there was always some old shows to fall back on. But then anime industry started declining and I already finished watching all the good stuff from the past and I was only left with whats currently airing ..... and well, I dont like ecchi, moe, harem.

The offer is slim. I no longer ditch a series, just because it sounds stupid.... and experience taught me, that some shows have a really dumb sounding synopsis, but are a hidden jewel.

So what I do know is I simply watch everything that sounds remotely acceptable and drop everything that turns out to be a mistake. Sigh, it isnt easy to be an anime fan wih high standards.
warita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 18:28   Link #80
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I never drop anything, except if it's really really really plain boring And by boring I don't mean bad. Bad shows are often entertaining to watch just to see how much worse they can get (boy, was I not disappointed on that front this year) so I never drop them no matter how horrible they may be. Terrible or mediocre shows also help me appreciate the better ones even more.