AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-07-20, 11:29   Link #41
james0246

^Wow, what a great interview. I never knew Dileep Rao was so well versed in acting and narrative structure. I do not necessarily agree with all that he said, but his interpretation definitely adds to the discussion.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-20, 14:50   Link #42
Nosauz

Wow just got back from this since I generally like to watch my movies with lots of leg room and places to spread my arms around. Holy hell, this movie is literally the best movie out of hollywood since the dark knight. Levitt's job in this movie has cemented my opinions about him, and the fact that he is a great actor. Overall this is a must see of summer, and the true idea of a summer blockbuster, honestly I might go see it again, it was that good. I mean District 9 wow'd me and I was pleasantly entertained by shutter island, but even though I knew the meaning of the openening scene, and most of the "twists" were very clear to me, the way the story moved and how it was acted out was just superb, thank god for Christopher Nolan.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-20, 16:52   Link #43
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility

The movie was, at an intellectual and logical level, extremely well implemented and absolutely was fantastic. The special effects and music complimented very well a movie that required immersing the audience in a dream-like world.

However, I find it hard, in the end, to be invested in the movie beyond that. My brain tells me it's a good movie, but I just didn't have that same emotional "OH MAN THAT MOVIE WAS AWESOME" sort of reaction.
Kylaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 11:07   Link #44
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

This film was brilliant. I personally thought it was emotional in that he finally managed to move on despite everything ... and it was just really brilliant.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 11:46   Link #45
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylaran View Post
The movie was, at an intellectual and logical level, extremely well implemented and absolutely was fantastic. The special effects and music complimented very well a movie that required immersing the audience in a dream-like world.

However, I find it hard, in the end, to be invested in the movie beyond that. My brain tells me it's a good movie, but I just didn't have that same emotional "OH MAN THAT MOVIE WAS AWESOME" sort of reaction.
Heh, well that's a relief, because I was starting to think that I'm the only one who feels that way.

I watched the movie last Friday. I liked how it unfolded, was mildly piqued by its sci-fi premise (despite some loopholes; for example, why is dream time necessarily linear?) but, like you, I wasn't "amazed" in the slightest, at least not in the same way as I was when watching The Dark Knight. The movie didn't click for me, sorry to say. I've kept my mouth shut thus far, as I didn't want to rain on everyone else's parade.

The concept of a dream within a dream hardly feels novel to me, having grown up with The Sandman comics as I did. And I might, perhaps, have felt more emotionally engaged if the movie was more than just an elaborate heist story. Meaning, I would have liked it a whole lot more if the ethical issues behind messing with someone's mind were explored more fully.

The Dark Knight worked for me not just because it was a phenomenal action-hero movie, but also because it presented the case of good versus evil in such stark cinematic terms — it was an issue that just couldn't be ignored in that movie while, in Inception, I was just sitting back, allowing myself to be carried along for a wild roller-coaster ride.

As a result, I left the cinema satisfied that my money was well-spent while ready, at the same time, to instantly shrug off the show as just another summer blockbuster soon to be forgotten.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 11:52   Link #46
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
I think this guy nailed it when he explained the ending (no spoilers)

Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 13:21   Link #47
Nosauz

I mean the biggest flaw in the movie is definitely Page's character, she's a college student that is wise beyond her years. Also the confrontation with the wife was less climatic then it should have been. We were promised some sort of violent confrontation and all we got was some very limp acting from the characters. It's like lighting a mortar firework and getting a sparkler, especially with the build up of wife and Leo's conflict. Still I was amazed, like Gordon-Levitt's Fight scene with the guys in the hotel brought some reminiscent feelings about the Matrix and the feeling I got from watching this movie even though Page's character made little to no sense was one of great satisfaction, especially when motifs or riffs from other movies were used.
Old 2010-07-21, 15:23   Link #48
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Heh, well that's a relief, because I was starting to think that I'm the only one who feels that way.
I rated the movie a 4/5 so while I definitely enjoyed it a lot I also didn't think it was the most amazing thing ever that some people do. I also agree that they should have dealt more with the moral issues of messing with someone's mind they did sort of
Spoiler:
but I didn't think it was enough. I also felt I couldn't emotionally connect to any of the characters. Most of them while being fun characters (and a great cast) were not much beyond that.

That being said I did enjoy the heist aspect, maybe it's because I just like heist films. I also really liked the ending of the movie.

I also personally really liked Ellen Page's character. It's nice to see a female character have a voice in a sci-fi film
Spoiler:
Old 2010-07-22, 03:13   Link #49
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Here are my thoughts on the film. Nothing really major, just that I agree with a lot of people around me that
Spoiler:

Does anyone think the music was awesome?
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-22, 13:33   Link #50
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
Does anyone think the music was awesome?
Actually I found myself getting completely enthralled by the music, honestly this is probably the one soundtrack that I'd love to have of a movie, it's brooding and it's not, I really think the music is just superb in the movie.
Old 2010-07-22, 13:35   Link #51
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Hmm...maybe I should watch this looks interesting enough and the special effects are great. Freddy Krugger though might go in the dream world. lol
Old 2010-07-22, 22:21   Link #52
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
Hmm...maybe I should watch this looks interesting enough and the special effects are great. Freddy Krugger though might go in the dream world. lol
I don't think Freddie can match a trained subconscious, and especially when everyone can do w/e the hell they want in a dream...everyone's got Freddie powers.
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 02:38   Link #53
saya_leviathan

Bloody Monday Manga Creators Draw Inception Film Poster

I find this hilarious. And it's really similar to the original poster
Spoiler for bloody monday x inception pic:

Spoiler for original poster:
saya_leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 10:02   Link #54
KaoruLia

^ That's awesome! I'm a big fan of Bloody Monday myself; so seeing this collaboration is a treat XD
KaoruLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 16:42   Link #55
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Going to see it tomorrow X3
parents are getting crazy cause I remind them of it every 4 hours or so for the past 4 days
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-24, 00:09   Link #56
Tom Bombadil

I feel the script is written by a programmer.

Quote:
Function I
Quote:
Function II
Quote:
Function III
Quote:
Function IV
Return 0
Return 0
Return 0
Return 0
Old 2010-07-24, 11:34   Link #57
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Just watched this today... This film is amazing!!

Haven't seen such good movie for a while

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2010-07-24 at 14:06.
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-24, 12:40   Link #58
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

the multilayer aspect of the dreams and synching everything was genius.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-24, 14:52   Link #59
zette

Just came back from watching Inception a few hours ago.

I'm a huge fan of Nolan and loved the film, but for me it wasn't as thought-provoking as Memento was or as amazing as The Dark Knight was. Don't get me wrong -- it was certainly an interesting story with solid acting throughout, but it just isn't the masterpiece that many people are making it out to be. I think Kylaran and TinyRedLeaf articulated my thoughts perfectly in their posts here and here. Basically, it was worth every cent I paid to see it, but it did not leave the type of long-lasting impression that differentiates a good film from an excellent film.

The music, on the other hand, was just all kinds of awesome. I hope Zimmer composes the music for the next Nolan film as well.
Old 2010-07-24, 16:12   Link #60
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by zette View Post
Just came back from watching Inception a few hours ago.

I'm a huge fan of Nolan and loved the film, but for me it wasn't as thought-provoking as Memento was or as amazing as The Dark Knight was. Don't get me wrong -- it was certainly an interesting story with solid acting throughout, but it just isn't the masterpiece that many people are making it out to be. I think Kylaran and TinyRedLeaf articulated my thoughts perfectly in their posts here and here. Basically, it was worth every cent I paid to see it, but it did not leave the type of long-lasting impression that differentiates a good film from an excellent film.
I'd still put the dark knight as my favorite Nolan film, but Inception would be a close second as it currently stands in my mind. As for Inception not being as thought provoking as Memento I must disagree. I find them to be about on the same level and are just presented in different ways.

Under all the layers of action there is plenty of thought provoking material (often very subtle) throughout the film. What makes me love Inception so much is it's perfect blend of action and philisophical thought. It's a combination made in heaven for someone like me and I rarely find movies that pull it off well.

Memento looked at memory and how one comes to understand and make sense of the world and the people around oneself; Inception digs deeper and looks at the many layers of the subconscious mind (reality being much more complex and not as clear-cut as many hope for it to be).
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote