AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-04-26, 15:07   Link #41
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Well, all the people I've talked to in Mexico say the news coverage are making more of a deal out of this that it actually is, but I guess it never hurts to be careful.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 16:02   Link #42
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
only if the country in question has the infascture in place and only if the virus itself hasn't spread into the general pop that much.
While the former is true, the latter is of no consequence with modern infection control. (Especially with the incubation and possible non-contagious period.) Since people already know to watch out, they will semi-isolate themselves to begin with. People who are fringe exposed will have their immune systems already running antibody production which will further slow the spread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue skies View Post
I'm really confused about why this is killing so many people in Mexico, yet all the cases here in the States have been relatively mild and everyone has recovered or is expected to recover. Apparently Canada has confirmed four cases of swine flu as well, and it's the same thing -- all of them are described as very mild cases.
Probably has to do with cultural differences, differences in standards of care, as well as a few differences in those who were infected.
Quote:
City Health Secretary Armando Ahued said most of the fatalities involve victims who only sought medical help after the disease was well advanced
Asked why there were so many deaths in Mexico, and none so far among the U.S. cases, Cordova noted that the U.S. cases involved children — who haven't been among the fatal cases in Mexico, either.

"There are immune factors that are giving children some sort of defense, that is the only explanation we have," he said.*

Another factor may be that some Mexican patients may have delayed seeking medical help too long, Cordova said.

Others are forced to work and leave their homes despite health concerns.
[Source]

*Andromeda strain anyone?
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 19:44   Link #43
Shadow Kira01

I feel.. Are we over-reacting here?

Its just a swine flu, there is no way it would spread that quickly or that it will become something more serious.

On the other hand, I guess being cautious won't hurt either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
I am worried, since it have spread to New Jersey... I suspect, but not much because I'm pretty healthy and have good hygiene and not likely to get infected...

Hopefully, this will get contained quickly like in the past.
I suggest getting one of those expensive surgical masks but I guess it is kind of weird to be wearing one in America though. However, that will most likely ensure your healthy well-being to be everlasting. Also, keep in mind.. Anybody with cold symptoms nearby, try to avoid them. It is better to be cautious, then not to be in times of a pandemic.

Wish your luck!! (^_^)

Last edited by Shadow Kira01; 2009-04-26 at 19:50. Reason: just a thought..
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 22:39   Link #44
Tri-ring

Latest report in Reuters japan states that fatalities count went up to 103 with 1600 possible patients in which 400 are hospitilaized.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 01:51   Link #45
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

President Felipe Calderon gave a speech a couple of hours ago.

He said that yes, Mexico is under the siege of a dangerous new virus but that it is able to be healed if it is detected on time, form the 1600 cases a 67% is alredy healed and back to their homes, as for the deseases, he said that it's not sure if all the deseases were because of the flew, the city will be "shut down" until May 6th, he added.
Old 2009-04-27, 02:52   Link #46
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
I feel.. Are we over-reacting here?

Its just a swine flu, there is no way it would spread that quickly or that it will become something more serious.

On the other hand, I guess being cautious won't hurt either.
It being a swine flu isn't the problem. What's really the problem is that it now infects across humans, nobody is vaccinated for this because it literally didn't exist, and it heavily affects young people who are supposed to be good against the flu.

People have been reported to be in hospitals dying of similar symptoms for about a week before it became public knowledge, so it could get very serious within a week as the incubation period ends and real symptoms start to show.

I'd rather people be really, really scared. Making everyone overcautious does help curb the infections.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 05:49   Link #47
Coruja

The virus has spread to Spain, apparently.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/world/04/...onfirmed-spain
Coruja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 08:59   Link #48
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Disease outbreak is more deadly with the increased migration and labor outsourcing these days. I think it's good that everyone be more aware about it and take precaution especially when it happen to Mexico which relies on labour export (foreign worker).

Remember, disease dont differentiate nationality or skin color.
Old 2009-04-27, 09:06   Link #49
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

The disease has spread like crazy in only a matter of days.

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Throne Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 09:15   Link #50
Jill Valentine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Well, all the people I've talked to in Mexico say the news coverage are making more of a deal out of this that it actually is, but I guess it never hurts to be careful.
They are just saying that so that ppl won't freak out, they wan't to keep it low as allways hiding from ppl stuff like that
Jill Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 10:44   Link #51
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue skies View Post
I'm really confused about why this is killing so many people in Mexico, yet all the cases here in the States have been relatively mild and everyone has recovered or is expected to recover. Apparently Canada has confirmed four cases of swine flu as well, and it's the same thing -- all of them are described as very mild cases.
Could be a regional factor, like the virus circulating in Mexico is slightly different, or the population is less well adapted to this particular strain.
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 12:56   Link #52
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

There is four new supsect case in France, 10 in Denmark and Sweden and 2 in England. Some people think that the flu is a good way to forget some controversial reform...
Old 2009-04-27, 13:23   Link #53
Shadow Kira01

Almighty Attack?

Suspected swine flu deaths climb to 149 in Mexico
Spain confirms 1st swine flu case in Europe
10 people in swine flu alert in Denmark and Sweden

It seems that the swine flu is spreading as quickly as I had thought it would. This appears to be very serious. Originally, I thought this would not be possible because it was pretty much contained in Mexico, how will it spread to other parts of the world? And thus, I thought my posts on the issue a few days ago was a mere over-reaction yet this is no longer the case. However, when it comes to pandemic, it is better to be over-cautious and get laughed at than to regret after getting infected and possibly die as a result of ignorance.

For just a mere few days, the death toll in Mexico has rised over the double mark. It had spread to the United States, Canada, Spain, Denmark, Sweden, and there are some suspected cases in Germany, not mentioning that cases in other nations will start to appear soon enough.

Currently, it appears that there are no cure and neither is there a medicine that can delay the rates of fatality. There appears to be a few methods to avoid contacting the swine flu. If your region has cases spotted, it is best to wear surgical masks such as the N95 ones. However, people who have asthma issues should not wear the N95 as it could worsen your ability to breathe. On the contrary, this is where the problem rises. Simply, there are no alternatives. Always wash your hands and keep your hygiene good and it should be safe. More importantly, it is best to avoid contact with anybody who appears to have cold symptoms because the swine symptoms are very similar to that of common colds and it is difficult to tell the differences initially.

Depending on the nation infected and regional area of infection, the possibility of wearing surgical masks may not be a good idea because it might cause people to think you are weird since nobody else wears it. Thus, I guess this is pretty much dependent on your luck as to whether you will avoid the swine flu or not. However, I doubt the cases of swine flu will start to disappear now; if I am correct, there will be many more cases of swine flu to come.. More nations will be infected and the death toll will continue to rise.. Perhaps, this will also give the medical research teams around the world enough time to create a cure.

Update: New possibly infected nations include New Zealand, Italy, France, Britain, and Switzerland.

Last edited by Shadow Kira01; 2009-04-27 at 14:05. Reason: more suspected cases..
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 13:41   Link #54
Proto

Quote:
Health Minister Jose Angel Cordova said on Monday that 149 people - all aged between 20 and 50 - had now died of suspected swine flu and that number was expected to continue to rise.

He said only 20 of the deaths had been confirmed to be from swine flu and test results were due on the rest.

As he spoke, Mexico City - where the outbreak is centred - was rocked by a 6.0-magnitude earthquake. It shook tall buildings and led to evacuations.
LOL... just what we needed. An eathquake
Old 2009-04-27, 13:43   Link #55
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
EVACUATIONS omg. That is going to worsen the spread of the virus.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 13:44   Link #56
Jill Valentine

Quote:
Not enough the flu and now earthquake i heard it was about 5 points, didn't hear if anyone has died
Old 2009-04-27, 13:47   Link #57
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuppy Cake View Post
Not enough the flu and now earthquake i heard it was about 5 points, didn't hear if anyone has died
5.6, though it was labeled as a 6.0 in the beginning.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090427/...ico_earthquake
Old 2009-04-27, 13:49   Link #58
Proto

Quote:
Structurally Mexico City's buildings have been built to deal with anything short of 9 degrees earthquakes (we learned from our 8 earthquake in the 80's when a good part of the city was destroyed), so there's no problem on that respect but I worry about the increased stress this will cause.

Last edited by Proto; 2009-04-27 at 14:45.
Old 2009-04-27, 13:49   Link #59
Jill Valentine

Do you know if you catch the infection what will you start having? they said you will start to have a fever but i wanna be sure

[edit] oh god this is geting worse read this article climate is going to rise http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090427/...climate_change

is the world really ending?

Last edited by xris; 2009-04-27 at 14:24.
Old 2009-04-27, 13:58   Link #60
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuppy Cake View Post
Do you know if you catch the infection what will you start having? they said you will start to have a fever but i wanna be sure

[edit] oh god this is geting worse read this article climate is going to rise http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090427/...climate_change

is the world really ending?
I wish people would stop writing "world end" No matter what the climate change, the world won't end. There will be changes to the environment and the human species might go extinct but the world will continue and in few million years nature will fill whatever niche in the new environment.