AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-03-30, 21:19   Link #41
Frontier

I legitimately feel proud in saying I've watched every anime iteration of the Yu-Gi-Oh! Franchise .
Old 2014-03-30, 22:20   Link #42
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I legitimately feel proud in saying I've watched every anime iteration of the Yu-Gi-Oh! Franchise .
Now that you said that, I have a question: between 5D’s & Zexal, which one has better story and which one has more enjoyable battles?

I’ve watched only some random episodes of 5D’s and haven’t seen Zexal at all.
Old 2014-03-30, 22:24   Link #43
Frontier

5D's by far .
Old 2014-03-31, 02:30   Link #44
BassGSnewtype
The Sword of Darkness

Agreed, the riding duels made the whole thing really interesting.
Old 2014-03-31, 09:32   Link #45
justavisitor

haven't seen zexal, but the earthbound immortal arc in 5D (the first 70 episodes) is awesome!!

Conflict of ideals, Conflict of social classes/status (which I bet you won't expect that in a card game anime), the apocalypse feeling with the appearance of earthbound immortals (They don't only absorb soul from the duelist, but everyone around the duel!!) and an extra dimension provided from the turbo duel which you won't find in a normal duel. Sure it's a bit weird at first, but once you get used to it, it's fun
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-31, 09:38   Link #46
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
5D's by far .
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassGSnewtype View Post
Agreed, the riding duels made the whole thing really interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
haven't seen zexal, but the earthbound immortal arc in 5D (the first 70 episodes) is awesome!!

Conflict of ideals, Conflict of social classes/status (which I bet you won't expect that in a card game anime), the apocalypse feeling with the appearance of earthbound immortals (They don't only absorb soul from the duelist, but everyone around the duel!!) and an extra dimension provided from the turbo duel which you won't find in a normal duel. Sure it's a bit weird at first, but once you get used to it, it's fun
Ah, I see. Thanks for the answers, guys!
Old 2014-03-31, 23:24   Link #47
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post

Is the extra dimension you mention here 5D's version of the Shadow Realm? (To be totally honest, despite what could happen there, the Shadow Realm Duels were my favorite part of the original series, just because everything became real in that world)

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-01, 00:27   Link #48
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Now that you said that, I have a question: between 5D’s & Zexal, which one has better story and which one has more enjoyable battles?

I have to agreed with everybody here that 5D's was much more enjoyable then Zexal and a little bit of GX (I didn't like Jaden at all)

But the one thing i wish that 5Ds could have done to make that series number one for all of the Yugioh series was
Spoiler for End of 5Ds:
Old 2014-04-01, 04:32   Link #49
Gundamx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialFlameGod8190 View Post
Michael I was dead serious a female protag would be more interesting. But this one looks awful and the main reason I got turned off was that pig.
the problem is most fan = young male
female lead will make most of them leave
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-01, 21:03   Link #50
justavisitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
Is the extra dimension you mention here 5D's version of the Shadow Realm? (To be totally honest, despite what could happen there, the Shadow Realm Duels were my favorite part of the original series, just because everything became real in that world)
I actually mean speed after you watch turbo duel for more than 100 episodes I find the normal duel boring in zexal and that's one of the reasons I drop the zexal series.

But 5D's shadow realm in earthbound immortal arc is quite thrilling....how they could come up the idea of forming a race track using those earthbound immortals is beyond me
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-01, 21:21   Link #51
Frontier

I think Zexal genuinely gets better over time... well, over a long period of time, but 5D's is all round a much more competent and entertaining series in terms of story and Duels, and I think Yusei is far and away a better protagonist than Yuma even if I actually do sometimes like the latter .

Y'know, speaking of 5D's, it looks like we have another Dragon ace monster. One that looks like the possible love child of Stardust Dragon and Red-Dragon Archfiend .
Old 2014-04-01, 21:56   Link #52
BW95
Banned

Quote:
I think Zexal genuinely gets better over time... well, over a long period of time, but 5D's is all round a much more competent and entertaining series in terms of story and Duels, and I think Yusei is far and away a better protagonist than Yuma even if I actually do sometimes like the latter .

Y'know, speaking of 5D's, it looks like we have another Dragon ace monster. One that looks like the possible love child of Stardust Dragon and Red-Dragon Archfiend .
I wish. I was actually excited thinking it might be some cool dragon like Stardust, but this thing looks like a chicken. Odd-Eyes Dragon. Its two wingmen are pretty cool though.
BW95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 15:04   Link #53
II Maestro

Well to me 5Ds is definitely the best seeing how they do a riding duel and how the monsters looks so cool & amazing especially my favorite Red Nova Dragon. Rather than having a riding duel the MC of this series is instead riding a Hippo.

Seriously this Arc-V seeing his deck is made of circus looking monster and his ace monster is a chicken dragon? comparing to previews Yu-Gi-Oh series ace monster Dark Magician, E-Hero Neos, & Stardust Dragon(since I didn't watch Zexal I don't know the name of the MC's ace monster) those look more amazing.
Old 2014-04-06, 15:06   Link #54
BW95
Banned

Well, I just watched the raw and maybe its the video quality, but I like what I'm seeing. Our MC isn't some insufferable brat like Yuuma. Oh, yeah. I really dug those cheerleaders.

Last edited by BW95; 2014-04-06 at 17:54.
Old 2014-04-06, 20:29   Link #55
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post

Honestly, I only liked 5D's up until near the end of the Earthbound God Arc. After that, it REALLY went downhill for me.

Yusei became one of the most Gary Stu Duelists I've ever seen, even more so than Yugi/Atem with the "Heart of the Cards", with so many of the asspull wins he was given (especially after the Earthbound God Arc) and he has never legitimately lost any Duels unlike Yugi/Atem and Judai, partly BECAUSE of those asspull coupled with otherwise extremely situational cards that he had virtually NO use for in ANY other Duel. Sure, Yugi/Atem and Judai had those moments too, but hardly SO many times in a row (even in the SAME Duel a number of times) like Yusei did.

I must be in a very tiny minority of people who actually did enjoy (at least half of) GX and ZeXal though. They were both breaths of fresh air from otherwise mostly doom and gloom series' like Duel Monsters and 5D's. The main characters being more lighthearted individuals and actually enjoyed Dueling for the sake of Dueling and not constantly having "fate of the world" scenarios and such thrown at them (making them more relatable).

Unfortunately, more viewers were way too addicted to ones like Atem and Yusei (the "dark(er)" characters) that GX and ZeXal ended up falling more into the "dark" pit about halfway through. GX's plot ended up full of holes (while never answering previous questions) and character 180s and "disappearances" (as in most side characters who actually played roles in the first couple seasons suddenly were barely doing anything at all outside of 1-2 minor Duels) while ZeXal became little more than Special Summon spam into Xyzs vs. other Xyzs in a total repetitive fashion up until the end.

I'm hoping Arc-V could not end up like that. I do worry that the whole "Action Cards" bit in the Action Duels could potentially just become convenient miracle "saves" for Yuya as demonstrated in the first episode; Normal Magic Cards that can be found throughout the field and used as Quickplay Magic Cards. Seriously, even one of the cards was CALLED "Miracle".
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 20:33   Link #56
BW95
Banned

Oh. So that's what they were. That's BS.
Old 2014-04-06, 20:50   Link #57
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW95 View Post
Oh. So that's what they were. That's BS.
An Action Duel, is a new type of Dueling in the Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V series.

An Action Duel occurs with the help of "touchable Solid Visions". These Solid Visions surround the entire field and the Duel takes place in the entire area. Unlike previous Yu-Gi-Oh! series, the monsters Summoned during these Duels are real enough to let Duelists interact with them, as seen when Yuya rode on "Entermate Discover Hippo".

In an Action Duel, a Field Spell Card is activated before the Duel starts. Action Cards are scattered throughout the field, to which a Duelist is supposed to find them to aid them. When an Action Card is found, it is placed in the hand and can be use right away as if it was a Quick-Play Spell Card. When a card is activated, a player can find and use the Action Cards they found to pay the cost if necessary as shown when Yuya played "Wonder Balloon" and discarded the Action Cards he found to pay the cost

An Action Card exists inside Action Duels on the Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V anime.

When an Action Duel begins, Action Cards are spread all over the Dueling Field. While they Duel, the Duelists search for them, and once they find an Action Card, they can add it to their hand or activate it. So far, all revealed Action Cards are Spell Cards.
Old 2014-04-06, 21:00   Link #58
Frontier

Zexal was pretty much always Xyzs spamming, with Yuma always being Utopia/Hope ad nauseam even though he has like a bajillion other Numbers .

Yusei also spammed Stardust a lot in the later period of 5D's but I tend to give him a pass for that, as well as his extensive win streak, because he's Yusei .

At least I think Yusei still pretty much made good use of his Junk cards as well as Stardust, which is more than I can say for Yuma. That said, Utopia and his subsequent evolutions were cool enough to where it never ruined Zexal for me at the very least .

I think some people had less of a problem with Zexal's lighter tone and more with Yuma's personality and incredibly terrible dueling skills .

Action Duels sound like the true evolution of Riding Duels, what with the duelists apparently riding their monsters across the field and the Duel beginning with a field spell.
Old 2014-04-06, 21:17   Link #59
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Quote:
Zexal was pretty much always Xyzs spamming, with Yuma always being Utopia/Hope ad nauseam even though he has like a bajillion other Numbers .
It wasn't really spamming early on. Sure an Xyz Monster (usually a No. monster) would show up and finish things or as an "ultimate obstacle", and up until then, there was action from other monsters and effects at least. By the Barian World Arcs, it's Xyzs everywhere and truly spam.

Quote:
Yusei also spammed Stardust a lot in the later period of 5D's but I tend to give him a pass for that, as well as his extensive win streak, because he's Yusei .
Unfortunately, so did a lot of people.

Quote:
At least I think Yusei still pretty much made good use of his Junk cards as well as Stardust, which is more than I can say for Yuma. That said, Utopia and his subsequent evolutions were cool enough to where it never ruined Zexal for me at the very least .
Early on and at the VERY end of the last Duel against Jack, Yusei did make good use of his Junk stuff. Much like how Yuma made use of smaller monsters and even other Xyzs at times. It starts similar with Yuma too, but then became all about Hope.

Quote:
I think some people had less of a problem with Zexal's lighter tone and more with Yuma's personality and incredibly terrible dueling skills .
I liked Judai and Yuma's more upbeat personalities, and the terrible Dueling skill actually made him more unique and gave plenty of room to truly improve (which he did).
Old 2014-04-06, 21:22   Link #60
BW95
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
An Action Duel, is a new type of Dueling in the Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V series.

An Action Duel occurs with the help of "touchable Solid Visions". These Solid Visions surround the entire field and the Duel takes place in the entire area. Unlike previous Yu-Gi-Oh! series, the monsters Summoned during these Duels are real enough to let Duelists interact with them, as seen when Yuya rode on "Entermate Discover Hippo".

In an Action Duel, a Field Spell Card is activated before the Duel starts. Action Cards are scattered throughout the field, to which a Duelist is supposed to find them to aid them. When an Action Card is found, it is placed in the hand and can be use right away as if it was a Quick-Play Spell Card. When a card is activated, a player can find and use the Action Cards they found to pay the cost if necessary as shown when Yuya played "Wonder Balloon" and discarded the Action Cards he found to pay the cost

An Action Card exists inside Action Duels on the Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V anime.

When an Action Duel begins, Action Cards are spread all over the Dueling Field. While they Duel, the Duelists search for them, and once they find an Action Card, they can add it to their hand or activate it. So far, all revealed Action Cards are Spell Cards.
Well, I can't hate that. Now it doesn't sound so bad.