Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2014-01-21, 00:13   Link #41
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
From the looks of it, this guy was a REMF, in a posting far away from combat. Such things are possible (especially if his track wasn't as a line officer, like an Intel or Public Affairs billet).
Right, but again, you're speaking from a realistic situation.

Not half of Earth taken over, human race on its last stand, backed to a corner where even maintaining a civil democracy is questionable, and they pretty much have to give everything they got against the enemy or be extinct. That's why someone who should be in school still is drafted, every able body is needed for the war. You guys keep bringing up wars in our world, which was NEVER and I stress NEVER, let me reiterate NEVER on this scale.
Did I mention NEVER?

I'm sure you need people on the logistics side, but if you've been in a military for 20-30 something years, while the ENTIRE EARTH is being buttraped by aliens bent on eliminating the human race, the chances of you never seeing combat or seeing the aliens with your own eyes is rather slim. Can I remind you guys that this war has been going on for quite a while, with humans losing the whole time? Able bodies would naturally go to the frontline, and non-able bodies (elderly, injured, young men/women who didn't pass the physicals, etc) would be relegated to logistical and homeland duties.

We're not talking about any war. We're talking about Starship Troopers / Gun Parade March / Blue Gender / MuvLuv Alternative level of war. Unless the movie drastically changed the setting, but I doubt it.

I know y'all are trying to justify the setting of the movie, which changed the setting of the protagonist from the book, which obviously doesn't reflect the intention of the author. I mean, seriously, it doesn't. The original book made a lot more sense.

Last edited by aohige; 2014-01-21 at 01:47.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-21, 01:41   Link #42
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Is this how they'll made Akira and Bleach?
Say wut? ...
Old 2014-01-22, 04:20   Link #43
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
...I should probably rephrase "booted into the infantry" to "booted into being an exo-suit infantry rifleman".
Still has the same life expectancy.

Quote:
Which again brings up the question of how he went from being a REMF POG officer to being dropped into the first wave with infantry.

I'm guessing they'll have Cruise be some smug asshole who gets himself into trouble, or they'll play him more virtuously and some convoluted situation will occur that will require him to stand up for all that is right and all that lame stuff, and as punishment, get assigned to be a grunt.
Probably.

To be honest, that's part of the problem of having Cruise, but at least he can act- Top Gun, Jack Reacher, Oblivion, etc. People were bitching about the Jack Reacher movie but he made it work. (Helped that he was also a fan of the books, it turned out...)

But then I don't have much hope in a bunch of young actors to pull it off. You think Shia LaBeouf could handle it?

Yeah, I didn't think so either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Right, but again, you're speaking from a realistic situation.

*snip*

We're not talking about any war. We're talking about Starship Troopers / Gun Parade March / Blue Gender / MuvLuv Alternative level of war. Unless the movie drastically changed the setting, but I doubt it.
Oh, I'm not really trying to justify anything (well, not very hard). Just pointing out that it might not be as bad as you're saying.

Having said that, I agree to an extent that in a total war situation you should be seeing more people on the front lines, but again, it does depend on what role these people are playing. This verse also doesn't seem as heavily militarised as Starship Troopers (where the OCS instructors were all retired or medically discharged and came back to teach, and where the Colonel commanding the school was actually a famous retired General who reactivated his commission as a Colonel to be OCS Commandant).

Quote:
I know y'all are trying to justify the setting of the movie, which changed the setting of the protagonist from the book, which obviously doesn't reflect the intention of the author. I mean, seriously, it doesn't. The original book made a lot more sense.
Like I said, I have my doubts as to the young actors of today as to whether they could pull it off. Besides, might be an entertaining watch anyway.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-22, 23:04   Link #44
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Still has the same life expectancy.
Yeah, cause nobody seemed to realize the benefits of armoring the guys in the power suits better.

Quote:
I'm sure you need people on the logistics side, but if you've been in a military for 20-30 something years, while the ENTIRE EARTH is being buttraped by aliens bent on eliminating the human race, the chances of you never seeing combat or seeing the aliens with your own eyes is rather slim.
If humanity has been fighting for decades the chances are pretty high actually. If the front line guys can't consistently keep SOME rear-echelon areas/infrastructure/logistics/industry safe, then organized resistance to the aliens would collapse. If you don't have a body of POGs who can do their job relatively securely, then you don't have an army. You have a disorganized mob very quickly running out of ammo.
Quote:
Can I remind you guys that this war has been going on for quite a while, with humans losing the whole time? Able bodies would naturally go to the frontline, and non-able bodies (elderly, injured, young men/women who didn't pass the physicals, etc) would be relegated to logistical and homeland duties.
Except you can't just replace an experienced Lt. Colonel serving as a staff officer for 10-15 years with any random person whose missing a leg. Logistics needs to retain experienced personal if they're going to keep the combat elements supplied in any meaningful manner. While it would be harder for able bodied soldiers to get into rear line duties when the war started, it's not like logistics wouldn't retain able bodied personal on the basis that they had vital skills.

Besides...is it really such a good idea to take a rear line logistics officer who doesn't have a combat oriented operations specialization or training and put him in charge of a tank or infantry battalion? Wouldn't it make more sense to promote someone who had actual experience? And keep that experienced major/Lt. Colonel running that supply depot?

Quote:
Having said that, I agree to an extent that in a total war situation you should be seeing more people on the front lines
By the same token, a bigger front-line army requires an even bigger rear line army to support it.

I think it'd help for people to keep in mind that humanity at this point is merely LOSING the war. They haven't lost it. So things haven't gotten to Untergang level bad for humanity yet on the whole (though it likely has in some parts of the planet).
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2014-01-22 at 23:19.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-25, 16:49   Link #45
Mach Sperion

Mach Sperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-26, 23:45   Link #46
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

looks good. i greatly enjoyed Cruise in Oblivion, hopefully his game stays up for this.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-13, 14:11   Link #47
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2014-05-13, 17:25   Link #48
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

^^ now things are making sense.

so i've caught up on all the scanlated manga as well. my anticipation for this movie is increasing.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.

Last edited by germanturkey; 2014-05-13 at 22:40.
Old 2014-05-28, 10:47   Link #49
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

so this movie is getting a lot better reviews than i thought it'd be getting. its currently sitting at 93% on RT with an average review score of 8.2. well done.

i've now read the book, and i'm really interested in how they'll do the ending of the movie. watching the featurette, i can put the pieces in place as to what happens. its going to be so good. and dang, blond Emily Blunt (who is cut for this movie) is smoking!!

especially, i'm interested in how much of Rita's back story they're going to put in. it makes things make soooooo much more sense if they flesh that out.

Last edited by germanturkey; 2014-05-28 at 11:16.
Old 2014-05-28, 17:49   Link #50
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I'm both surprised & glad that Edge of Tomorrow is getting rave reviews even from some of the harshest critics. It's refreshing to see an (Hollywood) adaptation of a Japanese literature or manga with good quality. Though I still have some gripes with the "whitewashing", apparently they get the theme of the story right, and for that I thank the scriptwriters & director.

This year has been fantastic so far. It's been a march of good popcorn movies. From The Raid 2 & Amazing Spidey 2 which are huge improvement of the first, to the (finally) decent Godzilla since 1954 and the truly great X-Men DOFP. And now it seems we get another standout.

Oh hey, I didn't know that you quoted me, Mr. Hat...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Say wut? ...
Yes, Hollywood is planning on adapting Bleach. Although right now it's still in development hell.
Old 2014-06-02, 12:23   Link #51
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Okay, I've just seen the movie and here is my two cents. Note that I've also read the entirety of the manga but not the LN so I don't know how faithful the two are.

The movie has the "spirit" of the original but not the story. Like what most people have mentioned already the fact that the MC is not a teenager but a full grown adult makes a big difference in terms of how we see the character. Also due to the fact that it is a movie with a limited amount of time there are certain things that won't be covered like the backstory of Rita. Then again the story have been changed a lot so its debatable what is needed. The original isn't very Hollywood-esque either so don't expect much more than the basic premise being used.

You can tell the scriptwriter tried to leave in little stuff that original fans would enjoy like Keiji=Cage and mentioning Hendricks off-handedly. Of course the gimmickly stuff like the giant battleaxe and the fanservice characters were left out but I guess you have to expect that from a western production.

For those people that are comparing this movie to other adaptations note that this story is A LOT easier to translate. Keiji is the only character of importance that is Japanese so using a mainly foreign cast is justified. Also the story isn't riddled with cultural references so there wouldn't be a big cultural wall to break through.

In conclusion it's an okay movie and if you go in with the knowledge that it's only gonna use 30% of the original material you won't go full weeaboo too hard.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-02, 13:25   Link #52
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

As long as the movie's story works well on its own but still retain the theme of the original story (like I said previously), I’m game. And so far my main gripe is Hollywood not only “whitewashed” the Japanese MC but also alter his age drastically. But if Tom is capable of carrying the role well, I can forgive it. And hell, it’s not everyday you see a H-wood adaptation of a Japanese sci-fi novel that get so many great reviews. I’d be crazy not to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
In conclusion it's an okay movie and if you go in with the knowledge that it's only gonna use 30% of the original material you won't go full weeaboo too hard.
I don't wanna judge before seeing it, but a good 30% sounds a lot better than rubbish 70% *coughdragonballevolutioncough*.
Old 2014-06-07, 10:43   Link #53
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

So i just saw the movie yesterday and it was great.

After that, i started reading the current scanlated chapters of the All You Need is Kill Manga and notice the changes and several shout outs to the manga/novel in the movie.

Spoiler for Difference from the movie and manga i noticed:
Old 2014-06-07, 12:33   Link #54
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Missed the first 15 mins, maybe it gave some hint. But i don't understand the ending....
Old 2014-06-07, 12:47   Link #55
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

The ending...
Spoiler:

Last edited by Renegade334; 2014-06-07 at 13:12.
Renegade334 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-07, 13:17   Link #56
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
The ending...
Spoiler:
Spoiler for Ending:
Old 2014-06-07, 13:29   Link #57
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Spoiler for Not really spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Human beings
Spoiler:

Last edited by Renegade334; 2014-06-07 at 13:43.
Renegade334 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-07, 13:30   Link #58
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Spoiler for Ending:
Spoiler for The first 15 mins:
Old 2014-06-07, 13:40   Link #59
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Thank guys.

Some of my friends actually said they will prefer if the movie ends 5 minutes earlier, which i kinda agree with. What's about you guys?
Old 2014-06-07, 13:47   Link #60
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for spoiler:
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote