AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2023-01-27, 11:32   Link #541
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
So rather than Ivar, it seems like Styrx may be rhe real problem in Thorfinn's side. Thorfinn clearly won't accept anyone's death, but I do have to wonder how they can deal with Styrx and pacify him.
I can see Thorfinn pulling a Thors or Askeladd to get what he wants: sacrificing himself to pacify Styrx and the Natives. But I'm not sure what the overall situation is going to be where Thorfinn can pull it off.
Old 2023-01-27, 12:08   Link #542
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Something that makes it harder to predict this is that this part of Thorfinn's life is loosely based on the original one. Thorfinn apparently committed some crimes before leaving Vinland and his family apparently lived peacefully. I mean, when Gudrid apppeared for the first time everybody already knew she wouldn't be killed unlike other characters because she is another real character who had a child with Thorfinn.
Old 2023-01-28, 07:02   Link #543
Amarantine

It was interesting how this chapter, the first since season 2 of the anime started airing, had so many references to the Farmland arc being currently animated. Thorfinn and Einar farming together and having a heart-to-heart (the first in what feels like ages), the reference to Arnheid, and even them remembering the old man and his advice on wealth. Wonder if that was somewhat intentional on Yukimura's part.

Quote:
So rather than Ivar, it seems like Styrx may be rhe real problem in Thorfinn's side. Thorfinn clearly won't accept anyone's death, but I do have to wonder how they can deal with Styrx and pacify him.
Yeah, Ivar, for all his faults (and they are many) genuinely believed he was doing the right thing for the right reasons, but Styrx was just plainly deceiving everyone (including his friend) for social gain. So he may indeed be the more problematic of the two.

Also, I gotta wonder what Hild's long term plan is here. After she killed these guys, what was she planning to do or expecting to happen when the other settlers found out they were missing/dead? Most natural outcome would be for them to suspect the natives did it, which would only exacerbate the tensions.

And of course, if she tells them that no, she was the one who killed them, then there's no way that would go over well either. I dunno, I just don't see how this sounded like a reasonable plan to a character like her who is supposed to be rather smart. Maybe she's just wholly blinded by rage and not thinking clearly, I suppose.
Amarantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-06, 07:07   Link #544
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Einar questioning the peace of Vinland might the biggest green light I've seen to chaos. This is the guy from the farm who felt hope for the first time when Thorfinn mentioned his ideals for Vinland. Then again, ever since the prologue Askeladd and Canute have also been dealing with the ideals of a perfect utopia.
Old 2023-02-24, 12:15   Link #545
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Another break. Yukimura has been taking some lately and mentioned some months ago that he is worried about the ending.
Old 2023-02-24, 16:34   Link #546
Blaat

You'd think he would have had an ending planned since the start, but I guess not or maybe he's having doubts about it.
Old 2023-02-25, 07:54   Link #547
Amarantine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
You'd think he would have had an ending planned since the start, but I guess not or maybe he's having doubts about it.
Yeah, especially since IIRC he's said that the part of the saga that he's wanted to write all along was the Vinland stuff.

It is worrying that he seems so worried and indecisive about how to develop this final arc and conclude the story. I already think the manga has already lost the level of quality it had in the first two arcs, but I still wish it could finish on a high.
Old 2023-02-25, 19:24   Link #548
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Given how real life Thorfinn's venture into Vinland ended, I can understand him being reluctant to draw that.
Old 2023-03-26, 02:41   Link #549
Blaat

Spoiler for chapter 200:
Old 2023-03-26, 11:59   Link #550
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Spoiler for chapter 200:
Since he's isolated himself right now, she could get rid of him without anyone finding out. But of course it's not going to be that simple. Someone will catch her in the act and she will be the cause of war.
Old 2023-03-27, 10:55   Link #551
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

I don't know if there will be war but I keep thinking that Thorfinn will remember his father's ideals and realize there are no legit enemies. The fact that Einar is already having doubts might imply that Thorfinn will realize that his ideals are unrealistic as both natives, people from Iceland and now Hild leading a conflict
Old 2023-03-27, 17:36   Link #552
Wandering Soul

Hild's plan to go after Ivar was foolish enough, but her going after the old native guy will definitely start something.
Old 2023-04-24, 14:17   Link #553
Blaat

Yukimura pretty much admitted he's struggling on how to end the series on twitter and could only produced 8 pages this month.

Spoiler for 201:

Last edited by Blaat; 2023-04-25 at 10:55.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-24, 18:28   Link #554
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Only 8 pages this time around Yukimura pretty much admitted he's struggling on how to end the series on twitter and could only produced 8 pages this month.

Spoiler for 201:
I think so. The thing is, there's no way for this to have a happy ending if he wants to remain historically accurate. Sure, he's taken tons of liberties, but letting a Viking colony thrive and eventually influence Natives in America? That's too big. Thorfinn's dream will be crushed one way or another, and it's something he must not want.
Old 2023-04-24, 20:25   Link #555
Wandering Soul

Guess this is our historical reminder that one of the biggest threats to the two cultures integrating is disease and the animals that carry them.
Old 2023-04-25, 06:33   Link #556
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

I don't know about the real Thorfinn but I know the real Gudrid managed to properly give birth to her child. Now, the upcoming chaos might lead Thorfinn to judge his own values until the eventual give up of his utopia.
Old 2023-05-26, 11:36   Link #557
Blaat

Spoiler for chapter 202:
Old 2023-05-26, 18:37   Link #558
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I kinda thought Canute would never appear in the manga again. He wondered how Thorfinn would handle an epidemic and the answer is that he probably wouldn't be able to handle it. Back then there weren't a lot of solutions to this problem. Couldn't exactly tell people to stay locked up in their homes and watch Netflix all day.
Old 2023-05-26, 19:58   Link #559
Wandering Soul

Looks like we're adding an epidemic to the plate of issues Thorfinn is dealing with.

It also loks like Thorfinn may truly be on his own when it comes to his views of violence. Even Einar admits he at least understands Canute and thinks violence may be necessary at times.
Old 2023-05-28, 14:14   Link #560
Amarantine

I was surprised to see Canute again as well. Wonder if this was a one-off or if he will make more appearances in the future (and whether Thorkell will ever show up again as well).

Quote:
It also loks like Thorfinn may truly be on his own when it comes to his views of violence. Even Einar admits he at least understands Canute and thinks violence may be necessary at times.
Thorfinn didn't seem to have any problem resorting to it either when he knocked Garm's lights out with a headbutt and left him with a bloodied and probably broken nose. I'd say that counts as violence.

Tags
historical