AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-04-25, 19:16   Link #21
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
The infection route is most probably migrating birds with Avian flu from the north came in close contact with a pig farm where the virus mutated and jumped species to pigs then further mutated becoming contagious to human.
This is a fairly popular theory amoungst pathologist and we can find some basis to this theory with the genetic make-up of this virus sharing traits of avian, swine and human flu viruses.

=EDIT=

Here is the latest update.

UPDATE 2-WHO chief says swine flu has pandemic potential

Quote:
The new H1N1 flu strain -- a mixture of swine, human and avian flu viruses which has killed up to 68 people among 1,004 suspected cases in Mexico and infected eight in the United States -- is still poorly understood and the situation is evolving quickly, Chan said.

There were currently no indications of similar outbreaks elsewhere in the world, she said.

Last edited by Tri-ring; 2009-04-25 at 22:03. Reason: Up date
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 22:35   Link #22
Shadow Kira01

The reason why there will be more infected individuals and deaths is that like every other type of flu, it is capable of mutation meaning that even if vaccines are developed and can prevent or cure the swine flu, there is always the chance that the mutated swine flu will be immune to any type of vaccine. It takes forever for the medical research to come up with cures and preventions yet for flu to transform itself, it can be either a second or whenever it occurs. Generally, when these types of pandemics occur, it is best to avoid contact with the region, wouldn't want it to spread.

I am currently expecting the numbers of deaths to increase but hopefully, this swine flu will remain as swine flu and when mutate to something else. If I am correct, there should be a vaccine that can cure this swine flu but for the ones who use the seasonal flu shots, they are un-protected. Nonetheless, this is quite a global concern considering that two nations: Mexico and the United States are currently hit by it.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 22:52   Link #23
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
Hopefully a vaccine can be made as quickly as possible before the virus spreads to more countries.
Vaccines take many months to create, prototype, test, and produce in quantity -- each year a team gets together and *predicts* the 3 most likely strains. The yearly vaccine is produced from that. Mostly they guess right -- once in a while they guess wrong.

This strain is popping up in the spring when the flu season should be *over*.... the production line isn't really set up to handle this sort of unexpected situation. So isolation, quarantine, and good hygiene is the best plan at the moment.
Old 2009-04-25, 23:32   Link #24
sa547
*Author

The most frightening thing about this situation is that it's a scenario straight out of 12 Monkeys. Here, a few months ago the health department managed to contain a swine variant of Ebola, and banning imported poultry products.
Old 2009-04-26, 00:41   Link #25
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

No more deseases were reported on the last 24 hours on the city of Mexico.

Although, there was one desease in Snt. Luis Potosi.
Old 2009-04-26, 00:48   Link #26
Chronosphere EXIA

Yikes! That's a deadly thing there. I mean, health care should be established in that area for Health is Wealth.
Chronosphere EXIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 01:24   Link #27
Tri-ring

I heard from a recent report here in Japan that the death count climbed to 80 with reported number of infected rising as well.
Old 2009-04-26, 02:32   Link #28
Shadow Kira01

Mexico Declares Emergency on Swine Flu as Death Toll Climbs

As of an hour ago, there are 81 casualties over swine flu.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 03:40   Link #29
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
Mexico Declares Emergency on Swine Flu as Death Toll Climbs

As of an hour ago, there are 81 casualties over swine flu.
Reading the article, I fear it is going to become much more serious.

Quote:
The first case was seen in Mexico on April 13.
Old 2009-04-26, 09:53   Link #30
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Just heard on the morning news a minute ago that the first death related to swine flu has been confirmed in my city. >_<
Old 2009-04-26, 10:45   Link #31
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
In my country, they would dare

True but back there in 1918 the preventions and medicine were not advanced, although it is true that it killed more people than the World War 1. But conciderate that it wasn't controled mostly beacsue of the state of the cities.
there is also huge difference i travel between 1918 and 2009. Hop on a plane and you are in another country 1000 miles away in a day. the 2009 ver could spread a lot faster then 1918 ver and thereby kill more people and do more damage.
Old 2009-04-26, 11:32   Link #32
Jill Valentine

Ehh it allready riched there, oh god hope it stops soon
Jill Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 11:49   Link #33
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
there is also huge difference i travel between 1918 and 2009. Hop on a plane and you are in another country 1000 miles away in a day. the 2009 ver could spread a lot faster then 1918 ver and thereby kill more people and do more damage.
While it is true it can spread faster, once the virus is fully understood, information on its spread can be disseminated in minutes and thus its spread can be contained or limited very quickly and effectively.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 12:03   Link #34
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
While it is true it can spread faster, once the virus is fully understood, information on its spread can be disseminated in minutes and thus its spread can be contained or limited very quickly and effectively.
only if the country in question has the infascture in place and only if the virus itself hasn't spread into the general pop that much.
Old 2009-04-26, 12:47   Link #35
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Well, certainly it is a little unnerving that all of my family, friends and acquaitances are over there, but so far no one seems to have been affected. We are currently on a 'wait and see' scenario. In any case the general attitude among those I've talked to is that it is best not to panic till more information is available since apparently a lot of disinformation was initially spread (like people inflating the death toll and whatnot).
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 12:48   Link #36
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Acording to the latest news, mostly of the people infected and deseased are people without strong defenses in their organism, mostly because of the diet and the hygiene, it's very important to watch this 2 aspects, you know? Eat more fruit, avoid "snakc" food and most important, wash our hands constantly, it reduices in a 40% the risk of infection, even more.
Old 2009-04-26, 13:15   Link #37
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

It seems there is no real case here in France but there is 4 suspect. And yes having a good diet is very important
Old 2009-04-26, 13:17   Link #38
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I am worried, since it have spread to New Jersey... I suspect, but not much because I'm pretty healthy and have good hygiene and not likely to get infected...

Hopefully, this will get contained quickly like in the past.
Old 2009-04-26, 14:09   Link #39
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
I am worried, since it have spread to New Jersey... I suspect, but not much because I'm pretty healthy and have good hygiene and not likely to get infected...

Hopefully, this will get contained quickly like in the past.
Fortunely, no one of my friends, family or related has been reported to be sick (take in concideration we live in the focus of the epidemy). I'm very thanfull to Gof for this.
Old 2009-04-26, 14:37   Link #40
blue skies
noch einmal?

I'm really confused about why this is killing so many people in Mexico, yet all the cases here in the States have been relatively mild and everyone has recovered or is expected to recover. Apparently Canada has confirmed four cases of swine flu as well, and it's the same thing -- all of them are described as very mild cases.

The U.S. declared a public health emergency today to deal with the disease and make arrangements to hopefully minimize the impact an outbreak could have. Good to see the government's at least trying to be prepared, and I'm glad Mexico has taken as many steps to contain and control it as they have. I'm not about to leap out the nearest window or anything, but I'll definitely pay close attention to this. It's scary, and I hope this is over soon.
blue skies is offline   Reply With Quote