Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-03-14, 16:27   Link #21
Chuixupu
Shikachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamato_D
wait, zoro can't cut steel at will. if he could, kaku and the rest of cp9 would be pretty much defeated by now. it was only during that near-death state that he could be in the right trance to cut mr.1.
I don't think that he HAS to be in a near-death state to cut steel, that's just the state he was in at the moment in which he learned it. And that has nothing to do with whether or not he's been able to defeat CP9 by now. He has to be able to land blows on them first., which he hasn't been able to do yet.
Old 2006-03-14, 16:44   Link #22
Slayerx

Actually he did land a blow against Luchi, but it was blocked by tekkai
And he was trading blows with Kaku's swords

Zoro can cut steel at will, he just can't do it casually
Zoro's normal sword attacks can't cut steal... to cut steal Zoro needs to use an actual technique and needs a high level of focus and consentration... ofcourse this is hard to do in a active battle against someone... Hence why he hasn't slashed broken Kaku's swords
To break Kaku's swords he would have to used a strong focused attack... and there is no way kaku's gonna give him the chance to use an attack like that
Old 2006-03-14, 16:58   Link #23
Chuixupu
Shikachu

Yes, he does have plan the attack and have the time to focus, same with a lot of his other attacks, although over time and practice he seems to be able to do some of them much quicker (i.e. the 180-pound canon). The agility of the CP9 agents hasn't allowed him to stand still enough to concentrate on such a move. But he doesn't need to be near death or in some sort of trance.
Old 2006-03-14, 17:28   Link #24
yamato_D
Nazo no Tenshi

that seems to make sense. he may just need to concentrate more or pull off a special move to do so.
oh, and does tekkai make the cp9 members' bodies as hard as iron or steel? cause in japanese tetsu is iron and hagane is steel. iron seems to fit the word a bit more.
Old 2006-03-14, 17:28   Link #25
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx
Actually he did land a blow against Luchi, but it was blocked by tekkai
And he was trading blows with Kaku's swords

Zoro can cut steel at will, he just can't do it casually
Zoro's normal sword attacks can't cut steal... to cut steal Zoro needs to use an actual technique and needs a high level of focus and consentration... ofcourse this is hard to do in a active battle against someone... Hence why he hasn't slashed broken Kaku's swords
To break Kaku's swords he would have to used a strong focused attack... and there is no way kaku's gonna give him the chance to use an attack like that
Wasn't the Iron Cloud of Omu's sword pretty much something was supposed to be uncuttable yet Zoro was able to do so with the usage of 180 Pound Cannon? But yeah I guess Zoro needs to reach a certain amount of concentration and focus to be able to cut through steel.
Old 2006-03-14, 18:09   Link #26
Spectral

It's 108 Pound cannon 3x36=108 And he did get to pull of the 72 Pound (Passion) cannon off.

Is it safe to assume that Multiple use of Gear 2 causing child like status effects and will this effect Luffy if he doesn't turn back to normal?
Old 2006-03-14, 19:25   Link #27
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral
It's 108 Pound cannon 3x36=108 And he did get to pull of the 72 Pound (Passion) cannon off.
It's called a typo. My bad for being human.
Quote:
Is it safe to assume that Multiple use of Gear 2 causing child like status effects and will this effect Luffy if he doesn't turn back to normal?
Why would it be assumed that 2nd Gear causes a chibi effect since the effect in question only occured after the usage of 3rd Gear?
Old 2006-03-14, 20:29   Link #28
Spectral

how do you know it was 3rd gear to me it was assumed to be 2nd gear, and don't take offense to the 108 thing I was just clearing it up since a few were saying 180.
Old 2006-03-14, 20:44   Link #29
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

Luffy said 3rd Gear with this being followed with him being chibied. What more could you want?
Old 2006-03-14, 20:47   Link #30
Spectral

Sorry I didn't see it in the manga scan I read.
Old 2006-03-14, 20:54   Link #31
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

Both translation and MQ scan have the occurence of Luffy making clear he used 3rd Gear to break the gate with it being followed with Luffy being chibied.

EDIT: And the raw itself has gear in katakana followed by the showing of the arabic form of the number 3.
Old 2006-03-14, 21:07   Link #32
Spectral

alright settle down I probably just missed it then so then would multiple use of Gear cause chibifying Luffy, how long ago was it that Luffy used Gear 2? I think it was rather stupid using Gear 3 to open a door though.
Old 2006-03-14, 21:15   Link #33
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral
alright settle down I probably just missed it then so then would multiple use of Gear cause chibifying Luffy, how long ago was it that Luffy used Gear 2?
I would say that no more than even 30 minutes has probably passed since he last used it. Much less that Luffy only commented on it making him feel tired without him turning into a chibi till after using 3rd Gear.

But what most likely happened was that you looked at the LQ that happened to only have gear listed for the edited translation.
Quote:
I think it was rather stupid using Gear 3 to open a door though.
How so? Time is of the essence and he isn't going to get anymore chances to at least try it out before facing off against Lucchi.
Old 2006-03-14, 21:29   Link #34
Phenomenal
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Phenomenal
Quote:
How so? Time is of the essence and he isn't going to get anymore chances to at least try it out before facing off against Lucchi.
You are correct Neodrag. Luffy said it himself that this steel door is tough, and he had to use Gear 3.
Old 2006-03-15, 02:08   Link #35
Dual247

i feel like he's probably capable of destroying the door even at gear 2. a jet bazooka might do the trick just seem like oda wants to show gear 3, because the fans are unsettled after hearing of it at the end of the blueno battle. all this teasing w/o actually showing gear 3 will just make the fanboys and girls salivate for a couple months or longer
Old 2006-03-15, 04:54   Link #36
Anguille

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamato_D
luffy looks rather calm after becoming chibi doesn't he? i mean i think it's a result of using gear 3, but where and when the hell did he learn the gear techniques? i assume that it was on the sea train, but i don't think luffy can learn THAT fast. i mean i'll give him credit for being an excellent fighter, but come on.
i wanna sea how franky beats fukurou though. i suppose he could try to beat him out of commission with his fists, but i kinda wanna see more of franky's clever gadgets.
I think gear 2 is just compressed rubber, and gear 3 is super compressed rubber. He probably learned gear three while he was being compressed between those two buildings after the CP9 fight.
Old 2006-03-15, 07:58   Link #37
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dual247
i feel like he's probably capable of destroying the door even at gear 2. a jet bazooka might do the trick just seem like oda wants to show gear 3, because the fans are unsettled after hearing of it at the end of the blueno battle. all this teasing w/o actually showing gear 3 will just make the fanboys and girls salivate for a couple months or longer
Yet it seems that the door in question was quite foritified when it's destruction causes an entire building to shake as much as it did. Much less that with 2nd Gear it was a matter of making a focused attacked on the body of a person.

And like I said Luffy doesn't have that much time left to hold back on things much less it wouldn't hurt to use 3rd Gear at least once before facing Lucchi. And we never actually got to really see 3rd Gear in entirety either.
Old 2006-03-15, 14:37   Link #38
Dual247

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodrag38
And we never actually got to really see 3rd Gear in entirety either.
that's what i meant, oda is teasing us, letting us know that there's a gear 3, but just not showing us. who knows when we'll actually SEE 3 in action. it could be later down the line in the arc after next for all we know. since its obvious that luffy can't seem to control 3 very much, going chibi and all. and don't tell me that luffy is gonna fight lucchi in super-chibi-mode, though it'll be funny but going by past battles, there's always a sense of seriously and importance in the battles. i can't see having a chibi luffy fight a full leopard-mode lucchi would make us take the battle seriously.

and i have heard plenty about the rubber compression idea. at the point, definitely the most likely. i mean what can you really do to rubber anyway? just not sure what that whole thumb-biting thing is about curiouser and curiouser
Old 2006-03-15, 16:20   Link #39
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dual247
that's what i meant, oda is teasing us, letting us know that there's a gear 3, but just not showing us.
I'm guessing when Luffy actually fights Lucchi we'll see it. Seriously, that happening is pretty much a given. Especially when Luffy isn't just gonna hold back on doing it if necessary, especially when Lucchi should be stronger than Blueno where Luffy nearly used it against Blueno. And we still don't even know if Luffy can actually switch out of the chibi form as he so chooses.
Quote:
who knows when we'll actually SEE 3 in action. it could be later down the line in the arc after next for all we know. since its obvious that luffy can't seem to control 3 very much, going chibi and all. and don't tell me that luffy is gonna fight lucchi in super-chibi-mode, though it'll be funny but going by past battles, there's always a sense of seriously and importance in the battles. i can't see having a chibi luffy fight a full leopard-mode lucchi would make us take the battle seriously.
Or it can just simply happen during this arc. And it still isn't a fact that him being in 3rd Gear is also him being in chibi mode throughtout all of its usage.
Quote:
and i have heard plenty about the rubber compression idea. at the point, definitely the most likely. i mean what can you really do to rubber anyway? just not sure what that whole thumb-biting thing is about curiouser and curiouser
I guess we'll see. Though you still haven't specified why exactly is it that Luffy wouldn't use something that he clearly was willing to use in combat, though Blueno was knocked out before he got a taste.
Old 2006-03-15, 17:53   Link #40
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

One notiable advantage of Gear 3 will be the fact that he'll be a much smaller target, thus making him not only harder to hit, but more powerful in his attacks since, as someone already mentioned, his powers are considerably more compressed now. Concentration equals an increase in power since it's not as spread out as it used to be.
Closed Thread