AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2022-04-09, 19:23   Link #21
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

It was reasonable. The art turned out better than I thought it would, given certain moments in the manga gave me issues. The VA for our dear spy guy feels like he had barely moved on from Hachiman, suiting the clinical nature of the character. Anya having to feign what she really is has some amusement.

A couple of things irked me though during this and by the end of the ep, it occurred to me. How much this scenario has been done ever since The Professional. The spy/assassin taking on a girl that somewhat humanises them. Heck, I even remember a manga from a few years back with a blind assassin and a girl that could foresee the future. In the end, the main/unique hook is Anya. She will win over the hearts of many and be a merch boon (heck, there were already pre-orders for figures of her before the first ep aired).

You will have to be constantly into her making Loid's life hard and keeping up the premise of what she really is. Probably helping him live at some point. It will mainly be about the spoofs and less about the spying. Heck, when they switched back to an action scene late that episode, it almost feel out of place. Then I realised why. I was bored. And I don't think that flat jazz playing all episode helped.

It's an easily digestible pill that's very marketable and will win people over relatively easily. But it feels like a lot of empty calories. I'd rather have the sour-tasting pill with a burning sensation after that leaves me fulfilled.

Good luck to it but I won't be continuing with it. Not that it needs it - this is a shallow season.
Old 2022-04-09, 19:29   Link #22
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rye View Post
"How should I make a child in 7 days?!"
Seriously that agency is messed up to give Twilight such a short-notice task. XD
Without Franky stealing the questions there is no way Anya would have gotten in, just look how many candidates there were. No wonder Twilight dropped dead after that was done. Really cute how Anya cuddled with her papa on the couch. <3

Vibrant colors, fluid movement, amazing voice acting, all around very great first episode. You can see that they put a lot of money and care into the series.
Loid didn't count on law of dramatic irony hitting him so soon .

I love how they way he said it made it sound like he was thinking of doing it in the...organic way .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Anya is even cuter animated! The way she actually speaks in Japanese makes her sound more childish than the English translation does. I was a bit surprised as a long time manga reader.
Atsumi Tanezaki is great .
Old 2022-04-09, 20:19   Link #23
bakato

Quote:
"How should I make a child in 7 days?!"
Seriously that agency is messed up to give Twilight such a short-notice task. XD
Without Franky stealing the questions there is no way Anya would have gotten in, just look how many candidates there were. No wonder Twilight dropped dead after that was done. Really cute how Anya cuddled with her papa on the couch. <3

Vibrant colors, fluid movement, amazing voice acting, all around very great first episode. You can see that they put a lot of money and care into the series.
What's messed up is that the agency to support the agent. If this mission is so important they would've screened and provided a candidate child themselves rather than tell Lloyd at the last minute.
Old 2022-04-09, 20:29   Link #24
Wandering Soul

Excellent first episode to an anime of a great manga. Everything was pretty much perfect. Hell, Anya was even cuter than in the manga
Old 2022-04-10, 00:56   Link #25
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep1:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-10, 01:17   Link #26
HandofFate

I like that even though she can read minds, she is still mentally, just a child
Old 2022-04-10, 01:49   Link #27
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Error 404: Mother Not Found.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-10, 02:05   Link #28
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
It is kind of refreshing. She's a kid with telepathy. Not simply a telepath that happens to be a child. Lets her be childish while also having a useful ability that can impact events.
Old 2022-04-10, 02:22   Link #29
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
What's messed up is that the agency to support the agent. If this mission is so important they would've screened and provided a candidate child themselves rather than tell Lloyd at the last minute.
It was not explained yet, but the agency is heavily understaffed because Ostanian counterpart caught a lot of their agents recently. It should be addressed later at least regarding the wife candidate.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-10, 03:04   Link #30
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
She's not even all that smart, really - not dumb, but kind of a normal kid in intellectual terms. And I do think that's a key component of why she works as a character.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-10, 03:33   Link #31
James Rye

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
It looks very promising, it was funny, has action, fluffy family even if papa is a liar lol.

Anya is a treasure and her faces were so funny. It looks like the next chapter is going to be even more funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Loid didn't count on law of dramatic irony hitting him so soon .

I love how they way he said it made it sound like he was thinking of doing it in the...organic way .

Atsumi Tanezaki is great .
Anya's expressions are one of the best things, maybe even the best thing, in the manga series. Whenever there is a new chapter release, people online crop all the Anya expressions they can find. Like there was even an official poll for best Anya expression with huge numbers of participation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
It was not explained yet, but the agency is heavily understaffed because Ostanian counterpart caught a lot of their agents recently. It should be addressed later at least regarding the wife candidate.
Yeah, the spy message in the news paper could have explained that in 1-2 sentences as that they got no female agent and no child ready for this mission because too many agents got busted, so he has to deal with all that himself and good luck with that. xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
She's not even all that smart, really - not dumb, but kind of a normal kid in intellectual terms. And I do think that's a key component of why she works as a character.
Her brain is peanut-shaped for a reason. But it is not her intellect I like but her hyper and sensitive personality. We already saw her vulnerable side with her memory of her past as test/experiment subject and how much she years for a family and adventure. And ofc how much stock she puts into her power just to realize in the test itself that it is useless to read other children minds if they don't know anything either. But good thing her memory worked well enough after that obviously harsh training by Twilight/Loid.^^
Old 2022-04-10, 03:57   Link #32
ryllharu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Yes, her age-appropriate intellect paired with her personality is a nice deviation from the "Esper and also a genius" trope. There's also the fact that she's almost certainly lying about her age. Twilight thought she looked like she was four or at most five, and they mostly established that he's very good with details like that.

But in order to get adopted, Anya immediately lied to him that she was six.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-10, 04:03   Link #33
magnuskn

Damn, this was good. So far easily my favorite "anime which is not a sequel" of this season. And I didn't even planned to watch it initially.
Old 2022-04-10, 04:17   Link #34
Tenzen12

Quote:

Yeah, the spy message in the news paper could have explained that in 1-2 sentences as that they got no female agent and no child ready for this mission because too many agents got busted, so he has to deal with all that himself and good luck with that. xD
Don't know about that. He is ace spy, so he probably aware about agency situation and that secret message was unecessary long already. It should be better wait for more appropriate and natural opportunity for exposition.
Old 2022-04-10, 14:51   Link #35
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

One banger after another, I'm very tempted to pick this up right now, but I'm waiting until we get the mother
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-10, 14:54   Link #36
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Have you watched the preview? She will be there next ep. Also, one of the most memorable manga scenes incoming.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-10, 15:02   Link #37
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
Have you watched the preview?
I have now
Old 2022-04-10, 18:32   Link #38
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Really enjoyed this premiere =03. I've been reading Shounen no Abyss, and after reading such a quality story, none of the comedic/semi-comedic shows have been doing it for me this season, but this hit home in just the right way. Ofc spy Hachiman is good, but I just love Anya's personality. It's great when little girls/boys act like their age, but I guess its fun even if they try to act like adults. I'm still fresh off of Kotaro Lives Alone(need to watch the last 3 eps D0=), so that feeling of adults interacting with a kid is still fresh. Glad I get a weekly version of that now . Hopefully the mother can have the same level of charisma as Loid and Anya did in this episode.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-10, 19:02   Link #39
Dextro
He Without a Title

Outstanding first episode. Great production values and the voice casting seems to be spot on so far. Anya's VA is reaching WMD levels of cuteness with her performance (as are the animators and the rest of the staff).

I'm really looking forward to next week so we can finally meet the mom as well. So far it seems like this show might just live up to the hype. Fingers crossed on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Rollin Hand (Martin Landau) provided technical assistance on mask creation for this show.

I'm probably the only one here old enough to have watched the original Mission Impossible TV series as it aired. Appointment viewing in our house at the time.

Plus Landau had the very good fortune to be married to Barbara Bain (who played femme fatale Cinnamon in the show).

I may not be old enough to have watched it at release but I did grow up with the re-runs and am still a big fan today. So at least you've for one person here who also did the same immediate connection
Old 2022-04-10, 20:46   Link #40
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Rollin Hand (Martin Landau) provided technical assistance on mask creation for this show.

I'm probably the only one here old enough to have watched the original Mission Impossible TV series as it aired. Appointment viewing in our house at the time.

Plus Landau had the very good fortune to be married to Barbara Bain (who played femme fatale Cinnamon in the show).
Good afternoon Mr. Phelps

I intentionally downloaded full seasons of this show years back when I saw an episode of it on a local cable channel. I might not have seen it when it originally ran since I wasn't born yet but I just want you to know that you're not the only one on here who's a fan of the show

This message will self-destruct in 10 seconds, good luck Jim

Tags
action, bondman, comedy, espionage, james bond, secret agency