Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2022-04-06, 12:07   Link #21
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Good for them, whoever they are. I was pointing out my personal beef with the show though.
Oh. You don't like Misfit Demon King I take it?

That series shows that an ultra-confident OP MC can work if s/he has enough charisma.
Old 2022-04-06, 12:26   Link #22
Tenzen12

I don't think charisma was in mile radius of studio when Misfit Maou were made. I would understand if you chose Accelerator, Daimaou or Kaze no Stigma, but you just have to choose that epitome of boredom

But yes OP protagonist can indeed work if done right. I agree on that.
Old 2022-04-06, 12:31   Link #23
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Oh. You don't like Misfit Demon King I take it?
I've no clue what you're talking about. I don't watch that show or whatnot. I don't even know what that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
But yes OP protagonist can indeed work if done right.
I like OP protagonists when they don't come across as obnoxious or boring. That's pretty subjective, mind you.
Old 2022-04-06, 12:39   Link #24
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
I don't think charisma was in mile radius of studio when Misfit Maou were made. I would understand if you chose Accelerator, Daimaou or Kaze no Stigma, but you just have to choose that epitome of boredom
"Epitome of boredom" is certainly not the sentiment that is shared by the masses though considering the show is getting Season 2 soon partly due to the major following after Season 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I've no clue what you're talking about. I don't watch that show or whatnot. I don't even know what that is.
Too bad.
Old 2022-04-06, 13:43   Link #25
Dop
Mmmm....

I love it. It's ludicrously over the top, tries to make golf look exciting and somehow succeeds, and then just adds sugar on the top with the musical interlude, the wild BGM and the Dezaki-style postcard moments. What's not to like?
If it can keep up this level of barmy it may well be my anime of the season!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-06, 14:55   Link #26
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

Another sports anime and it's centered around golf. Kind of a weird premise where the MC has a power shot with a name (and only 3 clubs), but hey, at least it made it interesting for me.

Best scenes for me were the Gunpla scenes. Poor girl, only she has that particular hobby haha, not even the Japanese golfer knew what it was.

I hope it's not going to be a brute force move all the time. I'm interested in learning why golf for money is the premise (to feed themselves and those kids?). Will follow the anime for a bit.
magnumcyclonex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-06, 15:15   Link #27
ryllharu

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumcyclonex View Post
Another sports anime and it's centered around golf. Kind of a weird premise where the MC has a power shot with a name (and only 3 clubs), but hey, at least it made it interesting for me.

Best scenes for me were the Gunpla scenes. Poor girl, only she has that particular hobby haha, not even the Japanese golfer knew what it was.
The series feels like an unlicensed adaptation of Everybody's Golf/Hot Shots Golf (blue bullet...) and crossed with Happy Gilmore. Eve's perfectly straight low drives and trick shots, and her motivation (at least so far) to be in it for the money.

Aoi comes off incredibly sheltered but possessing phenomenal technique, and we can only assume the two leads will constantly change their style and attitude throughout the series in order to catch up to the other respectively.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-06, 15:46   Link #28
leongsh
Daijoubu!

I suppose if you want a parody of the sports in question with physics defying moves (like what Prince of Tennis did to tennis), then this is up your alley. It's also very fan-servicey to guys. Just like Prince of Tennis was but for the girls. I suspect that there will be matches where the fate of the known world hangs on the outcome of the matches, just like Prince of Tennis. Whether it will have a large adoring fan base like Prince of Tennis has is up in the air though.

Personally, this is just trashy sports anime, like what I deem Prince of Tennis. Not going to bother with this show after watching the 1st episode. If this show floats your boat, good for you then.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-06, 18:36   Link #29
bakato

This oddly reminds me of Megalobox in terms of how the plot is shaping up. Poor, but talented street dog born in the underbelly of society begins a journey to challenge the top.

And are we just not going to talk about the cryptocurrency ads?
Old 2022-04-06, 18:44   Link #30
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was pretty dumb, but the good kind of dumb. I was absolutely not expecting the whole Mission Impossible mask thing, it gets bonus points in ridiculousness for Eve's skin color (arms and legs) changing back to white as soon as she took it off

Okay, if you ignore the ridiculous aspects, this premiere actually reminded me a lot of another show: One Outs. Both MCs are extremely talented people who live in the "underworld" and use a sport to gamble hefty sums of money. I suspect it will play out exactly the same: the bet with Aoi will be that if she can beat Eve, Eve has to become a professional golfer.

Anyway, I'll be honest. I'm watching it for Amuro and Char and all the Gundam references.
Old 2022-04-06, 21:38   Link #31
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Wow. I didn't expect this to be so intense when I started up the episode . The situation being a rather serious one for the main character. She's darn good. But her situation has somewhat impacted the ability to love what she does. More just getting kicks and thrills out of it.

The presence of Aoi really helped. Having Eve being OP and overpowering her opponents could be fun for a show. But I like the idea of a rival appearing that can actually pressure her. And have it be someone who is coming at the sport from a different perspective. And the way she's going to lure her into the match is fun too. Not with pure cash, but I presume with putting a club on the line. Eve is still good even just using 3 clubs. But for whatever reasons she doesn't seem to end up using the money she wins on actually buying more clubs. Adding another one to her collection would improve her options.

Honestly this show looks to be way more fun than I expected. The right kind of ridiculous.
Old 2022-04-06, 22:06   Link #32
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Brings back memories of having done golf growing up in Asia. Don't do much anymore since I have different priorities (including the moving to another country/doing Masters priority).

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-07, 03:29   Link #33
Dawnstorm

I'm here for the Pacman golfball. I didn't read up on this show at all and expected a golf anime... silly me. I enjoyed it overall, but someone should take down a Eve a notch.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-07, 08:04   Link #34
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

By the way, I think there was also a Scryed reference (also made by Sunrise). Eve's "attack" names sounded familiar with the "shogeki" and the "bullets", and as I fell asleep last night I remembered the MC of Scryed yelled the same thing. I'd totally be down for the show being filled with references to past Sunrise shows.
Old 2022-04-07, 08:10   Link #35
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
The first episode somehow gave me vibes of illegal betting in golf.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-07, 16:43   Link #36
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I kinda feel sorry for the junior champ. She worked hard, became a champion, but it's not even enough to make her the rival.

Then again, I guess the pro has it even worse.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-08, 12:46   Link #37
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I've written here from time to time about the appeal of an anime about womens' golf. Sorairo Utility wasn't it, nor is Birdie Wing.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-08, 18:53   Link #38
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I've written here from time to time about the appeal of an anime about womens' golf. Sorairo Utility wasn't it, nor is Birdie Wing.
But If those two are the only options, I'd pick Sorairo Utility. At least they aren't trying to be the Captain Tsubasa of golf.
Old 2022-04-08, 20:49   Link #39
moridin84
Custom User Title

I thought the show was a bit boring and I don't really like the MC. I bet she is going to be going on and on about her Rainbow Bullet the entire season too.

The fanservice was pretty clean so I don't see why anyone would complain about it being too much.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-09, 01:08   Link #40
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

This lost me the moment they expect people to believe a mask and a wig is all you need to impersonate someone. The internet would have exposed this once a sudden reversal of form occurred long-term. Were they even that similar in physique?

As for the characters, a pretentious spoiled rich brat and an utterly pragmatic gambler. The sport is merely a platform for shenanigans - there isn't going to be any respect or details about the game, the way it's going. One Outs worked because it had a lead, that while arrogant and gambling, had a respect for the game, a code of honor and utilised mental & psychological aspects to make up for his physical limits. Also showing the final details of the game. Hanebado had its babyface and heel, both with struggles that evoked sympathy and had a rivalry that worked because despite some of the negatives of the main duo, they felt like people you would encounter in sport and deserving of eventual triumph.

This feels more in the vein of Kakegurui. As well as having two leads that are naturally OP in a sport that is already relatively elitist, for the sake of relieving their bordeom or money urges. They can take their trust fund/underworld and shove it.

Tags
golf, sports