AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2022-04-09, 18:59   Link #21
ryllharu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Izumi is pretty okay for now, I just hope he lays off the "my girlfriend is too awesome" thing. The MC of Tonikaku Kawaii constantly thinking to himself how cute his wife was nearly killed the series for me, I in fact struggled to finish it and wanted to strangle him near the end (it certainly didn't help the premise is completely retarded).
I found myself souring on Tonikaku Kawaii after a while for the same reasons.

Shikimori and Izumi feel much more balanced and grounded. Their dynamic has similar aspects but works itself out differently because both of them have flaws.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-09, 19:35   Link #22
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryllharu View Post
What's nice about this first episode is while Shikimori is pretty amazing, and very, very cool, she has imperfections that keep the series a little more grounded compared to say, Tonikaku Kawaii.

She's just as hopelessly in love with her unlucky-but-unerringly-kind boyfriend as he is with her.

Her power level is still very exaggerated, but it feels more realistic because of her attitudes and the little details like refusing to wear her glasses outside of class.
Even she admits that she can be petty when she has to drive it home to those boys not to insult her man, and that she's torn between whether to be cute and whether to be cool...but of course she doesn't want to look bad when her guy is rooting for her .

It seems like in the Opening that she was in fights as a child, so I wonder if that's why she's so strong ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
Oonishi Saori as protective girlfriend is something I didn't know I needed. Nice art direction.
I think this might be the first time Onishi has actually won in a romcom anime, and it's within the first episode .
Quote:
Totally not expecting they really pick Okamoto to voiced Inuzuka, did they aware of how readers called him 'local Bakugo'?

I just really want to see the staff looking at his character design and going "Okay, we totally need to have Okamoto voice this guy" .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Although I'm actually debating whether he has the worst luck or the best. On one hand, he could get hurt or die at any moment. On the other, he scored an incredible girlfriend like Shikimori who defends him from any danger. Yeah, at the end of the day, I'd say the good outweighs the bad.
Perfectly balanced, as all things should be .

Gods need to throw him some kind of bone...for his own safety .
Quote:
Izumi is pretty okay for now, I just hope he lays off the "my girlfriend is too awesome" thing. The MC of Tonikaku Kawaii constantly thinking to himself how cute his wife was nearly killed the series for me, I in fact struggled to finish it and wanted to strangle him near the end (it certainly didn't help the premise is completely retarded).
Nasa was just being honest .
Old 2022-04-09, 19:52   Link #23
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I am astounded. It has to take skill for art to be that bad. Those eyes could melt the moon, the hair looks like it just came out of a grease tub, the backgrounds are bush-league. And then there's the 'gags' which have about 5 mins setup time and then fall flat...

Is this trying to be the babyface of bully girl romcoms or something?
Old 2022-04-09, 20:10   Link #24
grecefar

Pretty cute as expected but it was the opening that got me interested, there's seem to be some flashback on shikimori that I want to see.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-09, 20:16   Link #25
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
Pretty cute as expected but it was the opening that got me interested, there's seem to be some flashback on shikimori that I want to see.
That opening was just fire. I pray the whole covid doesn't affect production too much.
Old 2022-04-09, 20:33   Link #26
Wandering Soul

Can't decide whether Izumi should be considered unlucky because of the coincidences around him or lucky for having a girlfriend like Shikimori. I'll just go and consider him lucky.
Old 2022-04-09, 20:36   Link #27
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep1:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-10, 04:33   Link #28
magnuskn

Hm, kinda hard to see where this series is going by the OP and then the episode. On the one hand the OP makes it seems like the two MC's are going on some kind of adventure at times, but the plot of the first episode is all high school romance shenanigans.

Well, we'll see, I guess. I'll keep up with it for a few more episodes. Just seeing Shikimore be cool ain't enough to pick this up for the entire season.
Old 2022-04-10, 08:46   Link #29
larethian

Randomly blindly browsing shows and intro & first line of OP caught my interest. I'm probably overthinking, but last interaction sort of made me wonder ever whether Izumi's misfortune and Shikimori's seemingly supernatural physical prowess are more than just mangka-like exaggeration. Seems more interesting than Tonikaku regardless.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-10, 11:01   Link #30
Chosen_Hero

... yeah, no thanks, the dude ruins this, I like a strong female character and all, but when her counter part is this pathetic I just can't get into it.
Old 2022-04-10, 11:06   Link #31
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
... yeah, no thanks, the dude ruins this, I like a strong female character and all, but when her counter part is this pathetic I just can't get into it.
I thought he was kind of cute too...
Old 2022-04-10, 12:32   Link #32
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
They really wanted to hit home in the opening minutes that Shikimori's boyfriend is just all kinds of sad. Guy can't even leave his own home without injury. Even before getting to the main draw of the show this guy is threatening to derail the whole series .

If we're (for some reason) making comparisons...Tonikaku Kawaii was way better. Tsukasa is no less awesome or cute than Shikimori. But their respective partners couldn't be any further apart in quality. Nasa is just a way better character. Even if he's over the top in highlighting how cute Tsukasa is...he's right! The guy was also capable of living independently and pulled off some awesome feats in the first episode alone. This guy isn't likely to make it out of high school alive. The Earth will randomly open up and swallow him whole at some point.

Maybe the show is about an off-duty superhero or something. Would explain her supernatural abilities and ability to save this guy from every random occurrence going on. Heck, having someone that offers easy opportunities to save the day without global catastrophe being at stake might be pretty enjoyable for her.

Definitely don't want to hammer on the show any more than already have. But was one of the weaker first episodes of the season for me. Not super interesting. Shikimori is just generally nice. That she's flawed is good for her overall balance of a character. But Izumi is too heavily imbalanced and the one thing I'm not sure is whether she's strong enough to carry this show completely by herself.
Old 2022-04-10, 14:42   Link #33
Frontier

I must be one of the few people who enjoyed the premier and didn't immediately compare it to Tonikawa. Maybe it helps that I read the manga .
Old 2022-04-10, 15:59   Link #34
Decel

Dropping this, not enough stuff happening and potato-kun is being ultra-veggie.

The highlight of the episode was the whole meta of Shikimori preventing a patrolling Truck-kun from turning her BF into the next isekai protagonist.
Old 2022-04-10, 16:15   Link #35
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decel View Post
Dropping this, not enough stuff happening and potato-kun is being ultra-veggie.

The highlight of the episode was the whole meta of Shikimori preventing a patrolling Truck-kun from turning her BF into the next isekai protagonist.
She'd probably follow him to the other world to protect him there.
Old 2022-04-10, 17:07   Link #36
Magewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Like Fantasy Bishoujo Juniku.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-10, 17:35   Link #37
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing .
Old 2022-04-10, 17:43   Link #38
Lex79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I must be one of the few people who enjoyed the premier and didn't immediately compare it to Tonikawa. Maybe it helps that I read the manga .
I guess it depends if one is looking for a balanced relationship or is fine with the fantasy of having a superhero girlfriend.
Personally I'm not fond of the premises of the series and I probably wouldn't have followed it had not Shikimori been shown as hopelessly head over heels for Izumi.
Old 2022-04-10, 23:40   Link #39
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex79 View Post
I guess it depends if one is looking for a balanced relationship or is fine with the fantasy of having a superhero girlfriend.
Personally I'm not fond of the premises of the series and I probably wouldn't have followed it had not Shikimori been shown as hopelessly head over heels for Izumi.
I mean, it's a fluffy romcom relying on the cute interaction and relationship of the leads...I think it's as simple as that .
Old 2022-04-11, 01:56   Link #40
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Well, I myself surprised with the "Izumi is not like protagonist I knew from story with similar premise thus he's bad male lead".

As if we're going to take route similar to comparing every action protagonist with Goku or wondering if they can defeat Goku, for a light-hearted rom-com.
Izumi got his own circumstances and even with that he got his own circle of friends. Shikimori as well. I'm not an expert in relationship but I think things worked balanced enough looking at how Izumi accepted Shikimori for who she is (her super confident victory smile equates to super cute attitude for Izumi) and concerned about her well-being after each of her heroic moment rather than being hype man for a super girlfriend or good-looking girl that strikes his taste.