AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2022-07-07, 17:37   Link #21
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
^Mint yeah, but definitely not Ichigo. When I saw gifs of her henshin, I was like

"...did they just put B-cups on a 13-year-old?"

"No, she's 15 now."

"....oh....that's a little better."
I sometimes forget the cast from Accel World were in middle school. Especially the 2nd female lead .
Old 2022-07-07, 23:49   Link #22
Alchemist007
*Author

Feels a bit like a Precure in beat, though I suppose the original work precedes that.
Old 2022-07-12, 11:33   Link #23
Frontier

It's a magical girl tale as old as time...become a Superhero to fight for justice and save the world, find the rest of your team, all the while juggling going to school .

Ichigo has probably had more physical and close contact with hot guys in this single day than she has her entire life. Even if Ryo's personality leaves a lot to be desired .

Now Ichigo is unconsciously acting like and turning into a cat because of the fused DNA. I actually want to see the other girls act like their respective animals too .

So not only has Ichigo been roped into being a Superhero, but now she also has to work in the service industry...well, the maid uniform is cute and there's free sweets involved, so not the worst thing .

Lettuce is your typical shy, withdrawn, girl who is desperate for friends but hasn't found the right friends for her, and luckily she stumbles into Ichigo .

We get a better feel for Mint's character and she's a fairly haughty oujousama who doesn't think too highly of Ichigo, but even she gives her some credit by the end of the episode .

I like how Ichigo is actually surprisingly good at being a maid waitress and only acts klutzy when she deliberately wanted to throw some sweets in Lettuce's "friends" .

Mew Mint's transformation! It's as elegant as you would expect from Mint's character. I guess they're saving Lettuce's transformation sequence for the next episode since she wasn't really a hero in this one .

That's a change of pace. The threat of the week isn't actually a Chimera Anima but the actual Mew herself, to the point where she actually attacks her fellow Mew's. But of course in the end it all comes down to the power of friendship and self-care winning the day thanks to Ichigo getting through to Lettuce .

Oh, and just in case you forgot about the Aliens the Mews are fighting against, here's our first general voiced by Nobuhiko Okamoto .
Old 2022-07-12, 17:01   Link #24
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Gawd....I said it before but these dull ass colors really bother me.
I'm definitely going to see if I like the old show better; it's been a while since I watched it but ughhhhhhhhh.

Compare the way this anime looks to something like Delicious PreCure...like....it's just sad. And the animation suffered this ep too; way too many frames of the characters looking derpy.
(yeah I know 2002's has animation errors too but the color palette wasn't crap and the character art was better)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Even if Ryo's personality leaves a lot to be desired .
Hey, at least he's got one.

Quote:
Oh, and just in case you forgot about the Aliens the Mews are fighting against, here's our first general voiced by Nobuhiko Okamoto .
OH SHIT; YOU SERIOUS.

Well, now I'm totally defenseless.

Last edited by Chiibi; 2022-07-12 at 17:12.
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-12, 19:10   Link #25
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well they cornered Ichigo pretty well. Hard to say "how dare you mess with my genetic makeup and force me to fight aliens" after basically saying "there's got to be something we can do for the animals" . Good old days where rich people could turn people into bio-weapons and there isn't much complaining about it .

Not sure if I'm more amazed by the strategy of running a cafe being considered a good way to draw intel...or that it actually worked. Good enough excuse to throw them into those outfits though.

Lettuce recruitment was fine. Nothing too wild even considering the torrential water powers. At least she's getting friends out of this whole deal.

And kind of waiting for a reveal that Mint hasn't truly awakened her powers yet. Hasn't really made much impact despite being the first to gain her powers.
Old 2022-07-12, 19:27   Link #26
Frontier

Quote:
Gawd....I said it before but these dull ass colors really bother me.
I'm definitely going to see if I like the old show better; it's been a while since I watched it but ughhhhhhhhh.

Compare the way this anime looks to something like Delicious PreCure...like....it's just sad. And the animation suffered this ep too; way too many frames of the characters looking derpy.
I actually like the colors! It's not as bright as PreCure but I think it works well .
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Not sure if I'm more amazed by the strategy of running a cafe being considered a good way to draw intel...or that it actually worked. Good enough excuse to throw them into those outfits though.
Relying on the power of women's gossip .
Old 2022-07-12, 20:17   Link #27
Chiibi

Holy crap.....I just watched episode 01 of 2002's version and

This remake sucks.

Things 2002 does better:

Coloring
Directing
Character art
Expressions
Music
Voice Acting
Writing
Comedy

I'm sorry; this feels like Sailor Moon Crystal all over again. This new anime is embarrassing.

If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

I'll give this remake one more episode (for Quiche) but if I don't enjoy it, I'm so dropping this. ....so you don't have to put up with my bitching every week, okay
Old 2022-07-12, 20:28   Link #28
Shadow5YA

Quote:

Things 2002 does better:

Coloring
Directing
Character art
Expressions
Music
Voice Acting
Writing
Comedy

I'm sorry; this feels like Sailor Moon Crystal all over again. This new anime is embarrassing.

I never watched Sailor Moon Crystal, but from the from the trailers the art looked closer to the manga compared to the 1990s anime to me.

This is the opposite.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-12, 20:35   Link #29
Frontier

Quote:
Holy crap.....I just watched episode 01 of 2002's version and

This remake sucks.

Things 2002 does better:

Coloring
Directing
Character art
Expressions
Music
Voice Acting
Writing
Comedy

I'll give this remake one more episode (for Quiche) but if I don't enjoy it, I'm so dropping this. ....so you don't have to put up with my bitching every week, okay
I dunno, I'm actually enjoying those elements in this adaption, personally .
Old 2022-07-12, 20:46   Link #30
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
I never watched Sailor Moon Crystal, but from the from the trailers the art looked closer to the manga compared to the 1990s anime to me.

The art was definitely closer to the manga, yes.

That did not make it good. It was totally lifeless, poorly animated, poorly directed, and poorly written.

Also the manga art is....well, it's not the best, actually. It is elegant but it's kinda weird to see it on screen. The proportions are so goofy.
Sailor Moon should be 9 ft tall because she is 5 ft of just leg. At least in the 90s version, she looked closer to a human being.

Spoiler:

Top is a fan edit, middle is manga and bottom is official; see how badly it sucks?

@Frontier

If you don't mind my asking...did you watch 2002's episodes recently?

Here's an example of a writing change I don't like:

2002: Ichigo and Masaya are already dating; he mentions that she should stretch out on the grass, she falls asleep and he waits for her for THREE HOURS. Then they laugh about it after she apologizes. He is attacked when looking for her at school the next day.

2022: Ichigo decides she likes Masaya cause everyone else does; she barely even knows him; they talk about animals on the date, fall on each other, then he gets attacked and is unconscious for the rest of the episode.

Which writing choice sounds better to you?

Last edited by Chiibi; 2022-07-12 at 22:02.
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-12, 20:48   Link #31
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well here comes Lettuce she really just a shy girl but boy she really unleashed her powers there

Well that is a detail leave out that Ichigo will act a little like a cat
Old 2022-07-12, 22:17   Link #32
Frontier

Quote:
@Frontier

If you don't mind my asking...did you watch 2002's episodes recently?

2002: Ichigo and Masaya are already dating; he mentions that she should stretch out on the grass, she falls asleep and he waits for her for THREE HOURS. Then they laugh about it after she apologizes. He is attacked when looking for her at school the next day.

2022: Ichigo decides she likes Masaya cause everyone else does; she barely even knows him; they talk about animals on the date, fall on each other, then he gets attacked and is unconscious for the rest of the episode.

I think both work in their own right. With 2022, I think it's starting off as your typical schoolgirl crush and we'll see it develop into more .
Old 2022-07-13, 00:32   Link #33
Chiibi

Eugh, good for you then.

.......I also dislike the girly eyelashes on the 2022 boys; that looks very weird too.
Old 2022-07-13, 01:08   Link #34
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

To be fair 00's got 50 episodes. More than enough time to solidify stuffs through filler.

I don't think 22's will be able to get more than 24 episodes. S1 for forming group, S2 for big boss reveal + ending.
Old 2022-07-17, 11:59   Link #35
alex_drian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
And kind of waiting for a reveal that Mint hasn't truly awakened her powers yet. Hasn't really made much impact despite being the first to gain her powers.
Mint is the designated jober.

Quote:
The art was definitely closer to the manga, yes.

That did not make it good. It was totally lifeless, poorly animated, poorly directed, and poorly written.

Also the manga art is....well, it's not the best, actually. It is elegant but it's kinda weird to see it on screen. The proportions are so goofy.
Sailor Moon should be 9 ft tall because she is 5 ft of just leg. At least in the 90s version, she looked closer to a human being.

There is cases where follow the manga is not always better choice. Such are cases like these of Kodomo-Shoujo mangas, heck the ones in Nakayoshi have this problem. They aren't specially long, less than 50 chapters, are straight to the point, but not allow for much freedom. Anime of these mangas tends to have 50+ episodes that makes wonders for the story and characters, original filler or not.

Sailor Moon suffer of this (being fair didn't watched it all because a character ruined it for me), Shugo Chara suffer of this and Tokyo Mew Mew suffer of this (if something there is like...two things that I like more about the manga plot, but all else I feel is abysmally inferior).

Normally I don't pay much attention to animation quality unless is very noticeable for good or bad (I'm looking at you Biscuit Hammer!) and personally I haven't watched many remakes that look better than their original, if any, like, they are a product of their time.
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-19, 11:37   Link #36
Frontier

Lettuce doesn't take to maid work as easily as Ichigo did, but at least Mint is willing to get off her butt to help clean up .

An exhibit for endangered animals isn't the most conventional date spot, but a visit to the zoo is perfect spot for a makeup date for Ichigo and Aoyama, especially as she develops her budding feelings for him and starts to work her way into his stoic, coolheaded, personality to the point that it seems like he's genuinely returning her feelings .

Bu-Ling is...wild and crazy, and probably the most comedic and energetic of the Mew's so far. Also not often a teammate offers you an aphrodisiac .

Well, I guess if anyone was going to find out about your secret identity, at least it's your fellow Mew .

Kish makes his proper debut and wastes no time stealing a kiss from Ichigo, not that she's happy about it one bit. Nobody wants some random dude forcing a kiss on them, least of all one of their enemies. She doesn't seem to appreciate his attention one bit

Nice teamwork by all the girls to take out multiple Chimera Anima .

Poor Lettuce still doesn't get a transformation sequence even when the newbie does, although Mew Pudding's Metamorphoze was pretty fun and cute with all the acrobatics .

Acrobatics + chakrams + pudding is the kind of interesting combination I would expect from a girl like Bu-Ling .

Only this show could make giving a girl a cat bell to replace her choker genuinely romantic .
Old 2022-07-19, 12:37   Link #37
Chiibi

Still not really invested in this version. But the original one exists so I'm just gonna watch that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Nobody wants some random dude forcing a kiss on them,
Let me give my input as a woman: That depends on how hot he is.

@alex_drian

Yeah, you are not wrong. Which Sailor Moon character ruined it for you? let me guess; it was an evil-looking pink thing that's annoying af
Old 2022-07-19, 20:46   Link #38
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well going on a zoo date and Aoyama just look so out of it

Dont know why they let Bu-Ling jump into the monkey cage
Old 2022-07-26, 07:36   Link #39
alex_drian

Quote:
Still not really invested in this version. But the original one exists so I'm just gonna watch that.

@alex_drian

Yeah, you are not wrong. Which Sailor Moon character ruined it for you? let me guess; it was an evil-looking pink thing that's annoying af
Yes, that is.

I think I'm gonna drop here. I never was very appretiative of the manga and original kinda fix more of the problems so I liked that one better. I like 3 characters here but even for them is not worth it week to week. Maybe after is complete I can marathon it so is easy to digest.
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-26, 11:30   Link #40
Frontier

Aoyama has a lot of girls flocking him, but none can actually say they've been literally collared and become his kitty like Ichigo can .

Well, you have to admire Bu-Ling's enthusiasm at work, if nothing else...but poor Ichigo is left the only one who rein in her teammates/co-workers and their issues while Mint barely lifts a finger, as always .

Ryo's personality may be lacking, but his abs and smile are definitely winners, as Ichigo discovers .

So Zakura is the oldest girl in this blossoming team and has the best sex appeal of the girls, as well as being a bit of an over-achiever as both a successful model, idol, and the Onee-sama Goddess that Mint worships .

Ichigo playing a cat, Lettuce using actual lettuce, and Mint showing off her high class ballet skills during the audition to meet Zakuro...you can't say the girls didn't play to their strengths .

Before we can find out if these girls can really pull off a musical acting performance (Lettuce was really selling herself as a rock, I have to say), Bu-Ling hijacks the performance and then Zakura hijacks it so she can do a solo music video. I mean, everyone seemed pleased by it, but it was so random .

Poor Lettuce still doesn't get a transformation sequence, but Zakuro's was definitely short and to the point .

I guess it makes sense the girl who has the DNA of a wolf would be a lone wolf who doesn't seek any companions, and the Mew Mews themselves seem to barely have functioning teamwork as it is, although I feel like what Zakuro's lacking will end up being the comrades she's currently shunning .

I get that it really hurts Mint that the woman she idolizes and looks up to finds her annoying, but Mints' been so pompous and fixated on Zakura that it was actually kind of satisfying .

Looks like next week is going to be Mints' first proper focus episode .

Tags
magic girl, remake