AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2017-03-03, 00:37   Link #21
Verso Sciolto
Banned

The film received another award and round-about praise from Takeshi, who used its qualities as a lesson for Live Action film creators. According to ANN: Beat Takeshi Discusses In This Corner of the World's Tokyo Sports Film Award Win.

Over 1.66 million tickets had already been sold, by that time, and it had maintained a position, landing on #9, for its fifteenth consecutive week, in the Eiga.com top 10, before dropping out of this ranking for the domestic market, last weekend. For the last entry in the top ten, Feb. 20, it was noted that the number of screens had, by then, been increased to 301, compared to 68 at the time of its premiere.

Add: Animation of the Year, 2017, at the 40th Annual Japan Academy Prize

Edit. Posted April 8, 2017:
Seven Seas Proudly Presents IN THIS CORNER OF THE WORLD Manga Omnibus. To be released in the Fall of 2017.
Probably a print edition.

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2017-04-07 at 23:21.
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-19, 01:58   Link #22
l.kostas

Shout! Factory, Funimation to Screen In This Corner Of The World in U.S. Theaters.

Interview: In This Corner of the World Director Sunao Katabuchi

Last edited by l.kostas; 2017-05-19 at 06:35.
l.kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-19, 03:40   Link #23
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Oh ho? Good news indeed!
Old 2017-05-27, 00:55   Link #24
Verso Sciolto
Banned

... also heads up that the film will screen in competition at this year's Annecy.

First showing on Monday, 12 June:
https://www.annecy.org/programme:2017-06-12
https://www.annecy.org/programme:en/index:film-20170938
Old 2017-05-31, 22:49   Link #25
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Discs, September 15, 2017
Old 2017-05-31, 23:18   Link #26
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

That's even better news than the news of screenings So, the standard Edition Blu-Ray is probably the most economical, at 4800 yen: the ultimate edition is 9800 yen, and the DVDs are 3800 yen.
Old 2017-06-01, 03:38   Link #27
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
That's even better news than the news of screenings So, the standard Edition Blu-Ray is probably the most economical, at 4800 yen: the ultimate edition is 9800 yen, and the DVDs are 3800 yen.
... and all versions of the main film on these physical media come with Japanese close captioning for the hearing impaired (Probably "standard" Japanese rather than text approximations of the local dialects' phonetics) as well as English subtitles.
Old 2017-06-02, 00:52   Link #28
l.kostas

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/dai...titles/.116879
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
The special-edition two-disc Blu-ray Disc release will include a case with illustration by assistant director Chie Uratani, special inner jacket, and 100-page booklet for 9,800 yen (about US$88). The main disc will feature the film with Japanese and English subtitles, pilot film, crowdfunding supporter event's "Fuyu no Kioku" episode, promotional videos, and "Suzu no Arigatō." The bonus disc will include 240 minutes of extra content, including making-of, "Non, Suzu ni Naru" interview and making-of, soundtrack live event, Nerima Anime Carnival 2015 talk event, Kure City Museum talk event, premium preview event, release talk event, and stage greeting videos.
Old 2017-06-14, 10:34   Link #29
l.kostas

In This Corner of the World Film's English-Subtitled Trailer Streamed

Old 2017-06-16, 22:04   Link #30
Verso Sciolto
Banned

The good news keeps on coming, for this production. In This Corner of the World Anime Film Sells 2 Million Tickets in Japan. Another milestone. Congratulations to the creators.

Perhaps a bit of interesting trivia to mention here too. Since last week, the manga is being re-serialised by Hiroshima based newspaper Chugoku Shimbun. Printed in its supplemental morning edition Select, PDF (Links are for Select subscription advertisements with images and a brief intro.) Image of the print paper as posted on Twitter by a reader.
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Hiroden bus with film poster "wraps" on the side and back, from another Twitter feed.

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2017-06-16 at 22:41.
Old 2017-06-16, 22:39   Link #31
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by l.kostas View Post
In This Corner of the World Film's English-Subtitled Trailer Streamed

Gotta admit - the trailer looked really good!

Anticipating the movie quite a bit here....
Old 2017-06-18, 01:19   Link #32
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Yes, the trailer was nice! I got to admit, however, that movies from that era is painful to watch. I know I was crying my eyes out when I watched Grave of the Fireflies and stayed sad for days.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-18, 02:04   Link #33
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Yes, the trailer was nice! I got to admit, however, that movies from that era is painful to watch. I know I was crying my eyes out when I watched Grave of the Fireflies and stayed sad for days.
I've been impressed with how little of the content has been revealed in trailers beyond the broad scope of the project and also impressed with how little of the actual story had been discussed in this thread ahead of broader release outside Japan and outside a few overseas festivals and plane rides. By now everyone with an interest in the film knows the historical background and also the current Japanese climate in which this film was created. To belabour a point... and aware of the figure of speech.. the subtitled trailer not only looks good but, as important, sounds good too. This really is a film better seen with the original sound of the recreated ordinary voices from a specific time and place... imo. A place and time best not revisited except though a medium like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso Sciolto View Post
... also heads up that the film will screen in competition at this year's Annecy...
... where it picked up a Jury Award.
https://www.annecy.org/festival/awards

Premature archive link, for future reference:
https://www.annecy.org/about/archive.../award-winners

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2017-06-18 at 08:59.
Old 2017-06-30, 19:07   Link #34
Ulin

Today was the premier in Spain and the movie was as good as I hoped. Suzu is a wonderful character and her VA, although at the beginning was a bit strange as she didn't seem like a child, in the important scenes does a very good job.
Ulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-06, 17:02   Link #35
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Duly noted. I've wanted to see this one a lot. Sadly it seems it won't have any screening in Australia at all until someone decides to pick it up for DVD/BD release. Pity since we got Your Name very quickly compared to most countries and also had a run for A Silent Voice.

Oh well, until September, I guess.
Old 2017-07-09, 11:36   Link #36
abc0716

Watched it at cinema on yesterday afternoon. Quite a rare WW2-based media on Imperial Japan's POV.

Decided to watched this movie ahead of new Spiderman movie since it has lesser screenings & being screen at fewer cinemas..
abc0716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-10, 18:54   Link #37
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc0716 View Post
Watched it at cinema on yesterday afternoon. Quite a rare WW2-based media on Imperial Japan's POV.
... with the perspective on offer one of the interesting bigger picture aspects of this film.
Old 2017-08-05, 18:15   Link #38
Verso Sciolto
Banned

At 08:12 the film was included in the broadcast for the commemoration on August 6, 2017.

黙祷 終わり
Old 2017-10-27, 17:41   Link #39
Dop
Mmmm....

The UK Blu-Ray came out this week and I've just watched it. What a beautiful film. If I were to compare it with other anime movies i've seen set in the same period, it's not a grotesque like "Barefoot Gen", and it's far from a despair-fest like "Grave of the Fireflies".

Not so much about the war as such, but more about the ordinary people left 'back home', especially the women. While the story, considering its setting, has very much a cloud hanging over it, I'd describe it as being very much a 'keep calm and carry on' kind of story.

Do yourself a favour and watch it.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-24, 16:30   Link #40
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Holy crap, why did I ever delay watching this film? What an emotional and beautiful film.

It was a strangely intensive yet engaging watch. The pace is very slow but very very deliberate. It felt like the film lasted an eternity and it's probably the best feeling of eternity I've ever felt. If the story had even the slightest hiccups in any of its multiple skits then it would've been boring but the quality of the storytelling is just sublime from start to finish.

Spoiler for spoilers:
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote