kiak666

Revice Magazine Leaks:

Spoiler for Future Contents:
kiak666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-22, 07:39   Link #3662
B214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
So uh... I happened to catch an episode of Revice a little whole ago- maybe episode 9 or 10? Anyways, I'm not completely new to KR; my first full intro was Amazons (and at least the first season was AMAZING... I heard S2 goes downhill FAST). Yet I find myself tuning in on Japanese TV every Sunday morning for a new episode- funnily enough, I haven't gone to other places on the net for English subs.

Now, these crossover events look pretty cool (though I suppose the reviews say otherwise)... but I'm not nearly well-versed in KR to understand the references. I've heard that either W or 000 are the best places to start (even though I've seen Amazons), so I want to ask y'all... outside of W or 000, what are the best series worth watching?

Yes, I do realize this is arguably a landmine, considering fanboy nature.
Hmm Kamen Rider Blade, Kamen Rider Build.
If you want some comedy, you can watch Kamen Rider Den-O.
B214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-22, 07:59   Link #3663
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
so I want to ask y'all... outside of W or 000, what are the best series worth watching?

If you can tolerate dated/bad CGI and really really want to experience the quintessential Heisei Kamen Rider, you can watch the following 3 KR shows in release/chronological order and witness how the franchise evolved: KR Kuuga (2000) -> KR Agito (2001) -> KR Ryuki (2002)

After experiencing those three, you can freely watch any KR shows that catch your interest.
Old 2021-12-22, 08:37   Link #3664
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
So uh... I happened to catch an episode of Revice a little whole ago- maybe episode 9 or 10? Anyways, I'm not completely new to KR; my first full intro was Amazons (and at least the first season was AMAZING... I heard S2 goes downhill FAST). Yet I find myself tuning in on Japanese TV every Sunday morning for a new episode- funnily enough, I haven't gone to other places on the net for English subs.

Now, these crossover events look pretty cool (though I suppose the reviews say otherwise)... but I'm not nearly well-versed in KR to understand the references. I've heard that either W or 000 are the best places to start (even though I've seen Amazons), so I want to ask y'all... outside of W or 000, what are the best series worth watching?

Agito, Ryuki, Blade, Gaim, Ex-aid, Build.
Fourze and Den-O for more comedy oriented series.

Top three would be Build, Blade and Ryuki for me (W right behind).

The one to avoid at all cost: Ghost.

Don't expect anything like Amazons though, that one was specifically made for an older audience. And yes, the second season was total shit.
Old 2021-12-22, 12:05   Link #3665
justavisitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Agito, Ryuki, Blade, Gaim, Ex-aid, Build.
Fourze and Den-O for more comedy oriented series.
Basically this, and I will expand more and add some description (just imo, may not be accurate to others)

Doesn't need toys to henshin and has serious, coherent story:
Kuuga, Agito

Battle Royale:
Ryuki

Drama, crazy misunderstanding, and more drama:
Faiz

Bond between 4 men:
Blade

Apocalypse:
Gaim (small scale?) Build (Big Scale), oh and how the characters in Build make fun of themselves and others in the main story and narrative is just pure gold XD

Romance: (somewhat)
Drive

No filler, focus on the story from Ep 1 till the very end:
Ex-aid

Special mention of my childhood riders
Black and Black rx

They are the shows in the 80s. So it's very different from what we have right now. But I would argue, the quality of insert songs and bgm, how they use the insert songs and bgm, the fight cinematography, they are still second to none (huge bias here because they are the first two rider shows to me)

And seriously, why not just start with revice. It's not bad, and this show basically represents the natural progression of the KR series.

And we KR fans are very civilized in here. Ppl who like KR series are good ppl
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-22, 22:36   Link #3666
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:

Recommendation, IMHO ...

If you wanted a story with solid framework from start to finish: Agito, W, Build

If you wanted an enjoyable light-hearted entertainments: Den-O, OOO, Fourze

If you wanted classic taking of Rider vs. Monsters: Kuuga, Hibiki, Wizard, Drive

If you more about idea of the story rather than execution: Ryuki, Kiva, Gaim

If you prefer to have drama at some point of the action: 555, Blade

If you looking for rule of cool taking over the ride after first half of story: Kabuto, Zero One, Saber

If you wanted to be the brave that walk into dangerous territory: Decade, Ghost, Zi-O.

When it comes to "must watch", my choices are strictly: Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, 555, W and Build.
Surely it doesn't mean other are inferiors, there are several hidden gems in other Riders series I'd like people to see it as well.

Such as Den-O which, despite being kid show by nature, Takeru Sato acting is top notch you can see how Ryotaro managed to landed him role of Kenshin Himura for Rurouni Kenshin live action. Mind that Takeru Sato during Den-O is barely popular-- now he's one of three most asked cameo for Rider series movies alongside Odagiri Joe (Godai, Kuuga) and Mizushima Hiro (Tendou, Kabuto) both also gain notable popularity after became Rider; Kusaka from 555 often requested too which is interesting after you learned his attitude. LOL.

OOO casts got such a great chemistry that after the series ended you will understand why Eiji and Ankh considered the best duo by Japanese audience, taking over Philip and Shotaro duo (W) popularity; maybe learning why Drive antagonist are more popular than the protagonist is something to be noted too? Its up to you.
Old 2021-12-25, 09:32   Link #3667
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Since we don't have a dedicated merchandise thread, I'll probably start to post some YT reviews here, starting from these ACTION-reviews

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
YouTube
Old 2021-12-25, 10:13   Link #3668
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
*snip*
I don't get all the hype Build gets. The story is rather generic, there's no sense of scope (how can they travel from Tokyo to Aomori in like 3 minutes?), and it's just generally all over the place. The only thing I felt it really had going for it was that the main characters were mostly well written, but I feel like that's the case for most of the better Kamen Riders to begin with so it doesn't make it special in that regard.

To me, it just felt like a half-assed Gaim that uses the "double" feature of W.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-25, 10:44   Link #3669
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Speaking of recommendations, here's a review of KR Ex-Aid for your consideration:

YouTube

And we got a X-mas present from Toei, a special episode (1972) of the very first Kamen Rider in all its campy glory

YouTube

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2021-12-25 at 11:33.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-26, 01:34   Link #3670
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I don't get all the hype Build gets. The story is rather generic, there's no sense of scope (how can they travel from Tokyo to Aomori in like 3 minutes?), and it's just generally all over the place. The only thing I felt it really had going for it was that the main characters were mostly well written, but I feel like that's the case for most of the better Kamen Riders to begin with so it doesn't make it special in that regard.

To me, it just felt like a half-assed Gaim that uses the "double" feature of W.
Being character driven well-written story alone already far better than most of it predecessor.

Especially when looking back to its predecessor, especially ones that do same, where most of it trapped on archetype of their character;
Such as Eiji who trapped on being pacifist they resorted to Putoryra to break status quo or Tomari who is a policeman so its impossible for him to develop in a way that good-natured policeman wouldn't do. Sento willingness to approach governments after spending first half playing hero while Banjo, a musclehead, always questioning about what future holds for him, bonding with Kasumi and Gentoku in process, is a great leap since W; I really can't imagine any Rider team from OOO to Ex-Aid willing to do the same given each of their attachment.

On the contrary, I don't understand hype of Gaim.

I hardly knew anything about Yuya and Hase then 20 episodes later I have to feel bad about their death? Kachidoki justified-- because the forest avatar claim the result is always the same (what's the point of promoting idea of rivalry between Gaim and Baron if the game is rigged)? A girl welcoming you into dance club easily equal to your older brother never cares about you? Distance is an issue indeed but at least Build is consistent with power between three nations, Gaim dance stage is closer to reach but its relevance effectively in the gutter as Ichigo Arms made debut.

I expected something great from Gen after Gargantia being solid character growth story as he told in interview Gaim MC growth is something to look forward while also saying Zangetsu is like Ouja-- what I got is Jounouchi, Zack, Oren and Takatora ended up being best written part of the story; act and take both benefit and consequences naturally. Really didn't like what happened to Kaito, he started as man of his word later struggle to keep his own relevance until plot armor gave him equal footing to Kouta. Gen admitting Kaito is originally planned to die but his popularity among children resulted in last minute change giving him Lemon Lockseed instead doesn't help. Reminds me not to take Gen words seriously when it come to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
And we got a X-mas present from Toei, a special episode (1972) of the very first Kamen Rider in all its campy glory
Emissary of Hell that's not Supaidaman and its glorious Leopaldon?

Old 2021-12-26, 07:08   Link #3671
kiak666

Huh, so it was the Chameleon Deadman that got the Christmas special... Surprised that Hiromi wasn't the one who took him down, but I guess the writer wants to show how conflicted Ikki feels for killing his enemies, no matter how despicable they are. With Chameleon gone, the Deadmans are now split into two factions, one led by Orteca, who appears to have his own ambitions for world domination, and the other led by Aguilera, who wishes to retrieve the Giff statue, which survive the destruction of the Deadmans Base and is now under FENIX's custody.

Speaking of Hiromi, our guy got promoted to Commander, replacing the late Wakabayashi. However, things still don't look good on Hiromi, as the Demons Driver's side effect seems to be taking a toll on his body. George seems to know the reason behind this but suspiciously remains silent on the matter.

And the big twist of the episode, Genta lacks a heart, literally!!! Looks like the patriarch of the Igarashi family has a huge connection with Giff itself. So I guess that's why all three Igarashi siblings are able to manifest such unique demons. Also curious about whatever it is that Sakura found at the Ushijima's basement...

Next week, we'll be introduced to a new type of monsters called Gifftarian, learn about Julio's past, as well as a training arc for Ikki and Vice before they get their next upgrade, which is equivalent to Zero One's Shining Assault Hopper.

Last edited by kiak666; 2021-12-26 at 10:10.
Old 2021-12-26, 18:08   Link #3672
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Chameleon was so dumb. Everyone knows Wakabyashi's face, why did he keep using it so sneak around? At least he's gone now.

And a new upgrade already?!
Old 2021-12-28, 04:53   Link #3673
iko_uwais

Finally bought the Showa Rider Movie 4K Blu-ray box. While watching, I realized I really miss the scenes of the Riders riding their bike through the countryside and village roads, showing us the beautiful sceneries surrounding it. This is one of the main reason I really enjoy watching Hibiki, it's location shooting and beautiful cinematography is just wonderful. Even the lesser quality 2nd half is still enjoyable for it's scenery alone. Heisei phase 2 and Reiwa really lacks the location shooting in comparison.

Honestly, watching Bima Satria Garuda (a Tokusatsu franchise co-production between Japan and Indonesia, specifically, Toei and MNC) with it's extensive location shooting in Indonesia, really hammers this further.

Last edited by iko_uwais; 2021-12-28 at 05:22.
iko_uwais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-28, 08:18   Link #3674
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I never liked Hibiki but a new Rider series that doesn't entirely take place in a urban setting would certainly be nice.
Old 2021-12-28, 09:23   Link #3675
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

> Riding bike through countryside

Rather than lacking I suspect its more of extension of riding laws.
I consider Zi-O to be the most visible example of it due to its execution.

Remember when Sougo have to hurry to reach Geiz as he surrounded in parking lot?
Sougo also got some blockade, and his decision is to transform and fought them instead of just ride the bike through an open field that not blocked.
Also several base is located in remote area; back in previous batches of Heisei, we usually got shot of main Riders riding through quiet village / forest area to reach it (e.g. Ryuki, 555, Blade, W and Wizard) to further convince you its a far place. In Zi-O they simply arrived there either via portal or unexplained method.

When riding laws explained as the main issue of bike stunt (around Drive), the team said the most futureproof solution is to take the picture in another country.
Back then I didn't understand, is it really that bad they have to take picture in another country? After Zi-O being environment and law-friendly, I kinda get it. Jumping around prefecture is only matter of time until safe riding totally applied and extended.

> Forest setting

This pique my curiosity.

Back then fighting in forest or lake is totally normal, such as Putotyra vs. Kazari or Wizard vs. Wiseman
Now the forest should have a big open field, like Zero One, and/or obvious prep items like Gaim (fruits) and Ex-Aid (items)?

Shrine also not as used as before, Hibiki and Kabuto got some of them fighting in shrine.
I don't recall it happened for long time until ... Ghost? It appears in Zero One during Dodo Magia but we quickly move to park.

I wonder if this is because of law as well.
Old 2021-12-28, 17:51   Link #3676
iko_uwais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
> Riding bike through countryside

Rather than lacking I suspect its more of extension of riding laws.
I consider Zi-O to be the most visible example of it due to its execution.

Remember when Sougo have to hurry to reach Geiz as he surrounded in parking lot?
Sougo also got some blockade, and his decision is to transform and fought them instead of just ride the bike through an open field that not blocked.
Also several base is located in remote area; back in previous batches of Heisei, we usually got shot of main Riders riding through quiet village / forest area to reach it (e.g. Ryuki, 555, Blade, W and Wizard) to further convince you its a far place. In Zi-O they simply arrived there either via portal or unexplained method.

When riding laws explained as the main issue of bike stunt (around Drive), the team said the most futureproof solution is to take the picture in another country.
Back then I didn't understand, is it really that bad they have to take picture in another country? After Zi-O being environment and law-friendly, I kinda get it. Jumping around prefecture is only matter of time until safe riding totally applied and extended.

> Forest setting

This pique my curiosity.

Back then fighting in forest or lake is totally normal, such as Putotyra vs. Kazari or Wizard vs. Wiseman
Now the forest should have a big open field, like Zero One, and/or obvious prep items like Gaim (fruits) and Ex-Aid (items)?

Shrine also not as used as before, Hibiki and Kabuto got some of them fighting in shrine.
I don't recall it happened for long time until ... Ghost? It appears in Zero One during Dodo Magia but we quickly move to park.

I wonder if this is because of law as well.
Bike being less used is definitely because of the new laws. In the case of location shooting, that's one probably because of budget. In fact, AFAIK, Hibiki's first half being rather expensive because of the location shooting is one the main reason for the retools of the 2nd half. Probably why we generally can only see bike action and extensive location shootings in the Movies (Crossover or otherwise) now, since it has a bigger budget and longer production schedule.
Old 2021-12-28, 18:59   Link #3677
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'd say it's rather telling that Ikki's main mean of transportation is... a bicycle. I think Saber had a bike in the OP but I don't remember if he ever used it in the series.
Old 2021-12-28, 19:56   Link #3678
kiak666

Quote:
I'd say it's rather telling that Ikki's main mean of transportation is... a bicycle.
Either that or they don't want to blow their budget by using CGI on the hoverbike...

Quote:
I think Saber had a bike in the OP but I don't remember if he ever used it in the series.
The bike did appear, in the infamous CGI fight scene in episode 2, as well as the episode that properly introduces Kento as Espada.
Old 2022-01-01, 07:00   Link #3679
iko_uwais

The cast for Shin Kamen Rider's Hayato Ichimonji/Kamen Rider Nigo has been revealed, he will be portrayed by actor Tasuku Emoto
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasuku_Emoto

https://twitter.com/Shin_KR/status/1...668672/photo/1
https://twitter.com/Shin_KR/status/1...267008/photo/2
https://twitter.com/Shin_KR/status/1...733568/photo/1
Old 2022-01-09, 08:06   Link #3680
kiak666

We're officially starting the 2nd arc by introducing Hideo Akaishi, FENIX's director. I don't know, but this guy's face just straight up screams villain...

Looks like Revi Volcano Rex has the potential to cancel a Phase 3/Giftex's contract, the catch is that Ikki and Vice needs to be in sync with each other, otherwise they'll suffer major side effects.

So Gifftarians are demons created by stamping a human with the Giff Stamp. Unlike a Deadman, Gifftarians straight up devour their hosts before manifesting and is much stronger than a standard Deadman.

Sakura appears to sympathize with Julio after learning the latter's back story and wishes to help him regain his humanity. While Ikki is understanding, Daiji is skeptical about the idea and matter-of-factly states that the only thing they can do to the Giftexes is to take them down. Somehow I can see this as a future source of conflict between the siblings...

Tags
henshin, kamen rider, tokusatsu