AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2015-06-21, 12:18   Link #281
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
You know what would solve some of the long battles? Reducing the enemy's total HP. Of course, doing that would also either force them to either reduce the amount of damage the characters can deliver or make it harder to do consecutive attacks to balance out the game.
Interestingly enough, the older titles of the series have some of the best bosses. The FFI remake had chronodia, a boss with 8 different possible forms depending on how you fared during the 8 trials you had to undergo beforehand. Max HP around 40k IIRC, tons of single-target damage, so definitely strong...but an entire dungeon run was an hour long in her hardest form. Then there was Gilgamesh, Shinryu, Omega, etc. which were all really fun fights, because, while they were most certainly powerful, they didn't require five hours of praparations beforehand. With all that into account, my money is on building bosses that bring the party to unfavorable conditions, making you actually think whether you should attack, defend or heal.

Quote:
Aa for mini-games. I don't know which is more tedious, breeding chocobos on VII or the treasure hunting from IX.
I also prefer Triple Triad over Tetra Master
FFIX's treasure hunting was one of the best minigames in the entire series IMO. Searching for chocographs (or whatever they were called), coffee brands and the stellazzio coins was a good way to kill time between all the dungeon crawling.

To get back to FF7 though, I agree that the chocobo breeding could use some tweaking when it comes to making a golden one...at least it races fast!
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-21, 12:28   Link #282
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Personally I don't see any reason for them to make the optional bosses easier. That's why they are optional bosses, to be an actual challenge.

If anything I'd rather they focus boss changes on the last boss. FF games around that time were really turning the last boss of the game into a paperweight. I want some challenge in the last boss. He's doesn't have to be optional hard, but considering the story significance it'd be nice if he wasn't a pushover.
Old 2015-06-21, 13:11   Link #283
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Fair enough...it's mostly because of the addition of limit breaks come FFVII that final bosses are easy. Sephiroth actually had a lot going for him too, lots of HP, heartless angel, super nova, etc. Thinking about it, FFX and FFXIII took it a step further by making them susceptible to death and poison respectively...I mean, seriously, death on the game's last boss.

Another plus for Sephiroth is his relevance to the plot! Think about it, FFIV had no Golbez, but the Zemus, who makes an appearance of...2 hours, the game's last ones. FFV had Enuo instead of EX-Death, FFVI had the warring triad instead of Kefka, FFVIII had freaking Ultimecia, FFIX goes past Kuja and even past Garland to make you face off against Necron...yup, Sephiroth is definitely the most plot-important and relevant boss
Old 2015-06-21, 13:20   Link #284
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post

FFVI had the warring triad instead of Kefka,
Kefka was still the final boss and relevant to the plot. Sure he got his power from the warring triad and he makes you fight them on your way to him but he was still the big bad and central to the plot. He also committed various acts that were important to the plot and impacted the characters including wiping out the espers, brainwashing Terra, controlling Celes, poisoning the water of a kingdom costing Cyan his wife, and reducing the world to a ruined state.
Old 2015-06-21, 14:03   Link #285
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one above all View Post
Kefka was still the final boss and relevant to the plot. Sure he got his power from the warring triad and he makes you fight them on your way to him but he was still the big bad and central to the plot. He also committed various acts that were important to the plot and impacted the characters including wiping out the espers, brainwashing Terra, controlling Celes, poisoning the water of a kingdom costing Cyan his wife, and reducing the world to a ruined state.
Agreed, Kefka is still extremely central to the plot and a central boss. Sephiroth was a risk to the life on the planet....Kefka already ruined the planet by the time you fight him. Kefka turned the world into a wasteland where it will be a miracle if the world ever recovers. And I agree you were still fighting him in the end. He just had almost unlimited power so you had to do a lot of fighting to get there.

I do think the lowering the difficulty on the last boss started with FF6. Getting to Kefka was tough, beating him wasn't that bad. Sephiroth as well wasn't overly tough. There were reasons for it, but it was a pretty smooth ride all things considered. I just think it'd be nice if they could scale the boss a bit so he matches up to you more.
Old 2015-06-21, 14:22   Link #286
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

Enuo was just an old tale in ffv and an optional boss, Ex-death was the villain for the entirety of ffv

and isn't JENOVA the big bad of VII?

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-21, 14:26   Link #287
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post
No. Sephiroth's will took over Jenova, rather than the other way around. Sephiroth was definitely the big bad, which is why he manifested in Advent Children through the Jenova cells, rather than Jenova herself.
Old 2015-06-21, 14:30   Link #288
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
No. Sephiroth's will took over Jenova, rather than the other way around. Sephiroth was definitely the big bad, which is why he manifested in Advent Children through the Jenova cells, rather than Jenova herself.
that and they also just wanted to keep Sephiroth as Cloud's personal rival
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-21, 14:35   Link #289
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Well that too, but it was apparent even in Final Fantasy VII, with how Jenova kept manifesting in Sephiroth's form rather than operating in her own. It was why the Sephiroth Clones were all trying to reunite with Sephiroth, rather than Jenova.
Old 2015-06-21, 15:22   Link #290
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post
Enuo was just an old tale in ffv and an optional boss, Ex-death was the villain for the entirety of ffv

It's been about a decade since I finished FFV but I was pretty sure that Enuo was the final boss that emerged from the rift after Exdeath...apparently, I was wrong, so sorry about that.

Quote:
that and they also just wanted to keep Sephiroth as Cloud's personal rival
Yeah we all know how the fanfic goes, Sephiroth wants all of Cloud...and his JENOVA cells xD
Old 2015-06-21, 16:14   Link #291
monster

Quote:
Fair enough...it's mostly because of the addition of limit breaks come FFVII that final bosses are easy. Sephiroth actually had a lot going for him too, lots of HP, heartless angel, super nova, etc. Thinking about it, FFX and FFXIII took it a step further by making them susceptible to death and poison respectively...I mean, seriously, death on the game's last boss.
It's been a while since I've played FFVIII, but I believe Ultimecia was susceptible to Selphie's The End, although at least it can take a lot of patience to be able to do it.
Quote:
FFIX goes past Kuja and even past Garland to make you face off against Necron...yup
To be fair, Necron is the embodiment of what made Garland and Kuja did what they did. It is the ultimate enemy of every living thing that can never be truly beaten.

As for making the final boss harder, I think I'm fine with FFVII because of the journey to get there. It's even represented in the final battle being a guaranteed win.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-21, 19:12   Link #292
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Necron is the same as Zemus and the Warring Triad IMO, some amazingly strong power that is mentioned right at the end of the game because...who knows. It's something completely new, right at the end of the game, it doesn't have to be there since the plot worked just fine with the already established villains.

Quote:
It's been a while since I've played FFVIII, but I believe Ultimecia was susceptible to Selphie's The End, although at least it can take a lot of patience to be able to do it.
I think it only works on one of her 3 forms, can't remember for sure though.
Old 2015-06-21, 19:18   Link #293
n0m@n
C-Z

Its 99% guranteed that there will be a ps4 bundled version (at least in Japan). Im so poor right now that I dont own a ps4 yet lol.
I definitely want to buy it, but the competition will be intense.

.....But it really has been almost 20 years huh. I feel old....
n0m@n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-21, 19:50   Link #294
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
I think it only works on one of her 3 forms, can't remember for sure though.
The only enemies that The End won't work on are those that are Undead. All of two bosses are undead, neither of them are Ultimecia.
Old 2015-06-21, 20:13   Link #295
monster

Quote:
Necron is the same as Zemus and the Warring Triad IMO, some amazingly strong power that is mentioned right at the end of the game because...who knows. It's something completely new, right at the end of the game, it doesn't have to be there since the plot worked just fine with the already established villains.
Regardless, I think its addition did not detract from the plot for the reason I stated.

But speaking of IX, as good as it was, I do remember it had a glitch or two, and maybe even more. Is there any glitch in VII that should be fixed in the remake?
Old 2015-06-21, 20:29   Link #296
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Only one I can think of is the W-Item duplication bug, but most people would protest that getting fixed because they found it useful, and you had to be practically at the end of the game to even utilize it anyway.

EDIT: FFVII has one major bug that makes the Magic Defense stat in armors completely worthless, because the stat is never used when calculating damage on a target--this was fixed in the PC re-release in 2012. The other major, negative bug is the usage of the Darkness stat. It halves accuracy, but only on a select number of physical attack commands for the player. None of which are used by enemies, so Darkness actually does nothing to enemies.

Last edited by Rising Dragon; 2015-06-21 at 21:58.
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-21, 21:22   Link #297
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Regardless, I think its addition did not detract from the plot for the reason I stated.

But speaking of IX, as good as it was, I do remember it had a glitch or two, and maybe even more. Is there any glitch in VII that should be fixed in the remake?
what was the glitch in 9?
Old 2015-06-21, 21:37   Link #298
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

The most notable glitch for IX was that Steiner's Thunder Sword attack had an accuracy of 0% and would never hit any enemy whatsoever. Other than that, there's an airship glitch involving the Quicksands area. Board it after entering the Quicksands? Once you exit the airship, you'll find yourself stuck in the middle of the ocean.

PAL versions of the game have fixed those glitches. NA PSN version is still bugged for the Thunder Slash attack.

Last edited by Rising Dragon; 2015-06-21 at 21:50.
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-21, 21:37   Link #299
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Only one I can think of is the W-Item duplication bug, but most people would protest that getting fixed because they found it useful, and you had to be practically at the end of the game to even utilize it anyway.
I think they should "fix" it anyway, but indeed, some glitches can be useful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
what was the glitch in 9?
Steiner's Thunder Slash has a lower hit rate than it should, although supposedly the same glitch also raises his Iai Strike hit rate.
Old 2015-06-21, 21:50   Link #300
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Steiner's Thunder Slash has a lower hit rate than it should, although supposedly the same glitch also raises his Iai Strike hit rate.
It does. The glitch is that the hit percentage chance for Thunder Slash was mistakenly added to Iai Strike instead. Beatrix can only use it to great effect because she doesn't have Iai Strike in her moveset.

Tags
final fantasy, mako energy, rpg