AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2015-02-23, 00:12   Link #261
marvelB

Translated 31 is out! So yeah, like I said in the spoiler, it's cool that Deku ain't lettin' no family sob stories faze him. Still, Endeavor really is a dick, though....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-23, 01:21   Link #262
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Man that's one ugly family situation. In the end Todoroki is the biggest victim in the whole thing. I'd have some sympathy for the mother if there wasn't the whole burning her kids face thing! No matter what she was going through all she did was take it out on the most innocent party.

His father definitely takes the whole "living through your kid" thing to the most insane level. Literally having the kid just so he can make it about him. Which is completely stupid on so many levels. Plus completely pointless since most heroes are at a level higher than All Might now considering his current state.

Although I think Todoroki's revenge has flaws in it as well. Using or not using his father's power doesn't matter that much. So long as he wins his father will use it to gloat. He'd be better off not bothering to try at all or just taking second place and being completely fine with it.
Old 2015-02-23, 09:54   Link #263
Heat066

Wow...with this sort of heroes what do you even need villians for? right now the manga has a black/white moral sense, but with this recent chapter, this might escalate into something deeper.
Old 2015-02-23, 10:26   Link #264
James Rye

Man, Todoroki is BokuHero's own Zuko. Just without a nice uncle and a crazy sister. XD
And he might still have a younger sibling if his mom remarried and the half sibling wants to prove himself or herself to the big bro or just has something against him for making mom cry, etc.

I liked how Deku admitted that without other people's help he wouldn't stand where he is currently. In that aspects, aka to benefit from other people's skills/help/saving him/etc, he reminds me a lot of Osamu of WT. Weak (without the quirk of AM that is), more brainy but superduperhypersmart, with some wits and getting ahead thanks to people around him helping him out. He wouldn't have made it into the top 16 if it were not for shadow birdy and his quick shadow snatching those points at the last second. Ofc they are different, as in Deku actually has a superpower while Osamu is still average joe dude XD, but they do share quite some similarities.^^

You know, the whole "Quirk marriage" thingie made me wonder how quirks are seen in general in society? From what we saw of Deku's past, quirkless seems to have a pretty sucky life as a quirkless minority under a quirk majority. And I bet that quirkless people have problems to find a partner, jobs, etc as well as people rather marry a guy with cool fire powers (even if he makes her cry later) or give a job to a girl with telekinesis than somebody who got "nothing". And even among quirks we seem to have a "category" and "ranking" thinking as in "what type are you?" or "how strong/useful is your quirk?".
I think the whole quirk being a genetic thing is a lead to future problems of a still young quirk society with potential quirkless and "lesser" quirks racism, political radical parties forming, heroes (which we saw with Todoroki's dad already) going into some kind of "quirk gene" thinking, marrying into superquirk families creating a "superhero" caste, and so on.

Like that one villian who had Kaminari as hostage when he was dumbed down. He said he prefered to not kill Kaminari "because we share the same quirk". He didn't wanted to not kill Kaminari because he was a child or because he has a kind heart for a villian, but mostly because they got the same electrical quirk which seems to be kind of rare.

Also from the looks of it, some quirks like the elementals as electrical/lighting, fire and ice, etc have very few to no outsidish looks. Those people look like normal humans but got amazing powers. Other people on the other hand can morph from normal humans into their quirk form like that hardenskin guy who can get a stoneskin. And other humans always will look the way they do, which can be pretty damn alien in some cases.
I could see that becoming an issues as well for people to divid quirks into quirks that are looked upon higher than others and looks might very well play a part in it.

Reminds me of the book "Wild Cards" where you got normalos, Jokers (people that mutated and looks like mutants, 6 arms, dog hears, etc) and Aces (who look mostly very normal, maybe some weird hair or eye or skin color at max) and where Jokers due their looks have a lot of problem in the society while Aces are more seen as superheros. Not saying this manga will go the same way, but I would not wonder if we run across some people with quirks that look down on humans which got quirks that have changed their bodies.
James Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-23, 12:18   Link #265
Slayerx

Y'know i gotta say, i'm a little disappointed that this is turning into combat tournament. Really the "Tournament arc" is just so common and overplayed in shonen. Honestly i rather liked the idea of a sports festival but with super powers; it was kind of a unique take on the common sports festivals so common in school-based animes. There's a lot of fun you can have with an idea like that.
Old 2015-02-23, 13:19   Link #266
Blankdom

@James Rye,
Quirk Marriages doesn't necessarily equal the child receiving their parents quirks, look at Deku for example, both of his parents have quirks -- mom = attraction (small), and dad was fire breath (weak/limited). -- I would also think that quirkless marriages doesn't necessarily equal quirkless either, though I don't feel like finding an example for that.

Lastly, I think quirkless people can still find jobs, but it's harder, cuz they'll usually look to see if you have quirks that are useful -- then most people want to be heroes, just look at the first chapter as an example.
Blankdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-24, 03:49   Link #267
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

There's still a chance that it's not a straight up battle tournament but rather 1v1 games, that could be interesting.
Thought to be honest, I love tournament arcs xD
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-24, 04:43   Link #268
ChuckE
Provoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Y'know i gotta say, i'm a little disappointed that this is turning into combat tournament. Really the "Tournament arc" is just so common and overplayed in shonen. Honestly i rather liked the idea of a sports festival but with super powers; it was kind of a unique take on the common sports festivals so common in school-based animes. There's a lot of fun you can have with an idea like that.
I like Tournament arcs. Raw fights where characters show off their power without nakama powers - it's great
Though I don't like when mangaka adds unnecessary drama there.

Last edited by ChuckE; 2015-02-24 at 04:55.
ChuckE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-24, 06:32   Link #269
Darius Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rye View Post
Man, Todoroki is BokuHero's own Zuko. Just without a nice uncle and a crazy sister. XD
And he might still have a younger sibling if his mom remarried and the half sibling wants to prove himself or herself to the big bro or just has something against him for making mom cry, etc.

I liked how Deku admitted that without other people's help he wouldn't stand where he is currently. In that aspects, aka to benefit from other people's skills/help/saving him/etc, he reminds me a lot of Osamu of WT. Weak (without the quirk of AM that is), more brainy but superduperhypersmart, with some wits and getting ahead thanks to people around him helping him out. He wouldn't have made it into the top 16 if it were not for shadow birdy and his quick shadow snatching those points at the last second. Ofc they are different, as in Deku actually has a superpower while Osamu is still average joe dude XD, but they do share quite some similarities.^^

You know, the whole "Quirk marriage" thingie made me wonder how quirks are seen in general in society? From what we saw of Deku's past, quirkless seems to have a pretty sucky life as a quirkless minority under a quirk majority. And I bet that quirkless people have problems to find a partner, jobs, etc as well as people rather marry a guy with cool fire powers (even if he makes her cry later) or give a job to a girl with telekinesis than somebody who got "nothing". And even among quirks we seem to have a "category" and "ranking" thinking as in "what type are you?" or "how strong/useful is your quirk?".
I think the whole quirk being a genetic thing is a lead to future problems of a still young quirk society with potential quirkless and "lesser" quirks racism, political radical parties forming, heroes (which we saw with Todoroki's dad already) going into some kind of "quirk gene" thinking, marrying into superquirk families creating a "superhero" caste, and so on.

Like that one villian who had Kaminari as hostage when he was dumbed down. He said he prefered to not kill Kaminari "because we share the same quirk". He didn't wanted to not kill Kaminari because he was a child or because he has a kind heart for a villian, but mostly because they got the same electrical quirk which seems to be kind of rare.

Also from the looks of it, some quirks like the elementals as electrical/lighting, fire and ice, etc have very few to no outsidish looks. Those people look like normal humans but got amazing powers. Other people on the other hand can morph from normal humans into their quirk form like that hardenskin guy who can get a stoneskin. And other humans always will look the way they do, which can be pretty damn alien in some cases.
I could see that becoming an issues as well for people to divid quirks into quirks that are looked upon higher than others and looks might very well play a part in it.

Reminds me of the book "Wild Cards" where you got normalos, Jokers (people that mutated and looks like mutants, 6 arms, dog hears, etc) and Aces (who look mostly very normal, maybe some weird hair or eye or skin color at max) and where Jokers due their looks have a lot of problem in the society while Aces are more seen as superheros. Not saying this manga will go the same way, but I would not wonder if we run across some people with quirks that look down on humans which got quirks that have changed their bodies.
Honestly, I suspect that the world for a quirkless isn't as dark as you seem to think. Sure, everybody wants to be a hero, but it's a bit like everybody wanting to be a famous actor/actress/sports hero/other famous thing.

Childhood bullying is likely going to be prevalent so long as someone is "different". Deku DIDN'T have a quirk, so he was bullied. The first person recognised with a quirk, the bioluminicent kid, DID have a quirk, so they were probably bullied (when not being shoved infront of a camera due to media being stupid). A black kid in an otherwise white school, or a white kid in an otherwise black school has a fair chance of being bullied in our world. This doesn't have an effect on their ability to get a job after graduating, though it might have a lasting effect on their personality.

Honestly, a significant number of quirks don't seem to have any useful effect for normal, every-day type jobs. Okay, sure, there'll be some specialty jobs that are now available for people with certain quirks, such as the electrical ones already mentioned, but that doesn't mean that they're restricting people from getting desk jobs due to a lack of a quirk.
Darius Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-24, 16:28   Link #270
marvelB

Hey guys, the vol. 2 omake were translated! So, remember how a few pages back a bunch of us were wondering how Mineta passed the entrance exams? Well, the author took the trouble to explain it here. Basically, those of us who guessed that he scored for immobilizing those robots were right, after all!

Also, I'm kinda not surprised that Shigaraki was hard for Horikoshi to draw (at least, I'm 99.9% certain that's who he's referring to in the cover flap). I imagine that a creepy dude covered with lifeless hands wouldn't be easy to draw....
Old 2015-02-24, 16:46   Link #271
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Tsuyu was supposed to be a guy....thank god he changed his mind
Old 2015-02-24, 17:37   Link #272
Slayerx

Invisible girl was supposed to be a guy... thank god he changed his mind
Old 2015-02-24, 18:02   Link #273
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

*high fives Slayerx*

Speaking of her....how cruel is it that the possibly hottest and always naked girl has the invisibility power? xD
Old 2015-02-24, 18:25   Link #274
Slayerx

That's exactly where the appeal comes from. The less we know the better, and we know nothing.
Heck gotta love how the characters react to her... its just so delightfully awkward
Though i do also love her quirky, hyper active personality. heh, candid prank shows
Old 2015-02-24, 18:33   Link #275
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

From the looks of things, the author plans on giving her the spotlight a little more in the future, which is great.
Let's hope Tsuyu gets even more of a spotlight as well xD
Old 2015-02-26, 13:27   Link #276
marvelB

Next chapter's scans are out in Chinese:

Spoiler for 32:
Old 2015-02-26, 16:45   Link #277
James Rye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankdom View Post
@James Rye,
Quirk Marriages doesn't necessarily equal the child receiving their parents quirks, look at Deku for example, both of his parents have quirks -- mom = attraction (small), and dad was fire breath (weak/limited). -- I would also think that quirkless marriages doesn't necessarily equal quirkless either, though I don't feel like finding an example for that.

Lastly, I think quirkless people can still find jobs, but it's harder, cuz they'll usually look to see if you have quirks that are useful -- then most people want to be heroes, just look at the first chapter as an example.
I think it depends on the quirks as now we know quirks are based on genes and genes can get transfered to children. Deku was unlucky to have parents with both weak quirks so he got none. Kinda like the whole genes thing that are stronger or weaker than others. Think of GoT and "The baratheon seed is strong".^^
I could see people with strong quirks marrying other each other to create the possibility to bear a child with tremendous power/quirk like it happened with Todoroki. And given how Deku knows about this quirk marriage thing I bet that is not a solo case but that there is a part of society where strong quirk humans marry only strong quirk bloodlines to increase their bloodlines power. And that gives more food to my quirk rasicm theory.^^

Sure they can, but quirkless people are a powerless minority in a society where people can burn you in rage or turn you to stone or even enslave your mind if you speak up against them. Heroes and police aren't always around to protect you. It is similar with how the prestige of police officers went down with the raise of heroes. Quirks are everything and if you got none, you're worth less than the rest as somebody with the right quirk can always outdo your work/achivements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Drake View Post
Honestly, I suspect that the world for a quirkless isn't as dark as you seem to think. Sure, everybody wants to be a hero, but it's a bit like everybody wanting to be a famous actor/actress/sports hero/other famous thing.

Childhood bullying is likely going to be prevalent so long as someone is "different". Deku DIDN'T have a quirk, so he was bullied. The first person recognised with a quirk, the bioluminicent kid, DID have a quirk, so they were probably bullied (when not being shoved infront of a camera due to media being stupid). A black kid in an otherwise white school, or a white kid in an otherwise black school has a fair chance of being bullied in our world. This doesn't have an effect on their ability to get a job after graduating, though it might have a lasting effect on their personality.

Honestly, a significant number of quirks don't seem to have any useful effect for normal, every-day type jobs. Okay, sure, there'll be some specialty jobs that are now available for people with certain quirks, such as the electrical ones already mentioned, but that doesn't mean that they're restricting people from getting desk jobs due to a lack of a quirk.
Well, unlike famous actors and stuff where you need to be "discovered" or land a "hit", becoming a hero is "easier". We have academies and schools for heroes, companies, heroes who look for sidekicks, etc. Becoming a hero seems easier than to become a moviestar, plus given the advertise we saw in chapter 1, heroes have already replaced actors and atheleths and the like in advertisement. Becoming a hero is your real way to fame. I bet more people know hero names than actor or sportler names in this kinda world.

And yeah, probably the quirkless don't suffer a horrible life, but I bet a lot of them wished themselves to have quirks "to be normal" and feel more accepted in their quirk-concentrated society. I wouldn't wonder if there are swindlers who sell stuff to quirkless people, telling them that with this powder for a million yen they might develop a quirk.

Plus no matter how useless or weird a quirk might seem in the end it is still a quirk. A quirkless could be the best dancer, the best politican or the best cook or best in math in the end even the most worthless quirk user would be more special than him because "can you create bubbles out of your hands and make them explode?".
Quirks are special because you cannot learn them like normal human skills and because no matter how much talent you have you won't be able to copy a quirk if you got no quirk. Thats the reality the quirkless have to face daily. Quirks in TV, Quirks in the newspaper, Quirks in the streets, Quirks in the advertisement, Quirks in school, at work and in the tram, Quirks everywhere! Either you got a quirk or you are a loser who people laugh about your dream to become a hero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Next chapter's scans are out in Chinese:

Spoiler for 32:
Ojiro is such an awesome guy!!! <3 <3 <3

Spoiler:

Dayum, guys! This is what I meant with Tsuyu being awesome at french kisses. XD

Spoiler:

Last edited by James Rye; 2015-02-26 at 17:39.
Old 2015-02-26, 18:22   Link #278
coded321
He Who Games

i think which scenarios are most likely to happen are:
a)deku makes it to the final round, but loses in the end.
b)he makes it to the final round, but the fight ends in a draw
c)he gets a technical win or loss, i.e, he wins the fight but loses the match
also its kind of ironic that deku's first opponent is someone possesses a quirk that deku's quirk can't much against, i.e, physical ability vs mental ability. Basically, the all for one quirk, despite how potentially strong it is, cant do anything against a mind control quirk, or at least as far as we know. I wonder how deku is going to get himself out of this.

Also, James Rye, I don't think, story wise, deku should lose in the first round. while that would be very original, i personally think that would defeat the purpose of this arc all together. If deku loses in the first round, then what incentive do the readers have to continue reading through the rest of the arc? Its like trying to read a book series where the mc died during book 2 and was never brought back or replaced with another new mc. thats probably why a lot of shounen fight tournaments are always alike.

Last edited by coded321; 2015-02-26 at 18:42.
coded321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-26, 21:46   Link #279
marvelB

@James Rye:

Spoiler for 32:
Old 2015-02-27, 09:33   Link #280
James Rye

Quote:
Originally Posted by coded321 View Post
i think which scenarios are most likely to happen are:
a)deku makes it to the final round, but loses in the end.
b)he makes it to the final round, but the fight ends in a draw
c)he gets a technical win or loss, i.e, he wins the fight but loses the match
also its kind of ironic that deku's first opponent is someone possesses a quirk that deku's quirk can't much against, i.e, physical ability vs mental ability. Basically, the all for one quirk, despite how potentially strong it is, cant do anything against a mind control quirk, or at least as far as we know. I wonder how deku is going to get himself out of this.

Also, James Rye, I don't think, story wise, deku should lose in the first round. while that would be very original, i personally think that would defeat the purpose of this arc all together. If deku loses in the first round, then what incentive do the readers have to continue reading through the rest of the arc? Its like trying to read a book series where the mc died during book 2 and was never brought back or replaced with another new mc. thats probably why a lot of shounen fight tournaments are always alike.
Well, there was a book that had a typical beginning and typical stuff happening to a guy that seemed to be the MC of the series and in the end it was a red herring and said MC guy died an undeserving and emotional death:
Ed Stark from GoT.
He was the guy you'd expect to find out the truth, bring justice and peace to the lands, defeat the cunning Lannisters and then either go home to his family or become the next king. All he became was a corpse due a child not honoring promises, wanting to see blood and humilition.

Same might happen here with Deku. This chapter ended with Deku being under the mind control, we as the readers expect the MC to obviously somehow break out of the mind control and win to advance to the next round. That's the shounen MC style. And it is what all readers, even me, expect to happen.
However, Shinsou's quirk, and personaliy which seems to detest hero students, is perfectly made for humilition. He could be the next King Joffrey. With his power he might be able to tell Deku to do lots of humiliating stuff which the teacher might not be able to prevent as it is not harming to Deku's health. This way Deku's defeat would weigh even heavier, and we readers would be even more shocked (and intrigued) as to Deku's already defeat and how it came to be, going against our own expections.

Not saying, that it will happen as it is very unshounen-like, but if it would happen all our expections would be thrown over board as with that move everything would seem possible again. Heck, even Uraraka could win against Bakugou with her special move for all we know while we expect him to be Deku's or Todoroki's final opponent. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
@James Rye:

Spoiler for 32:
Spoiler:

Tags
action, coming of age, great supporting cast, shounen, superhero, unique art/plot