AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga > To Aru... Railgun [M/LN]

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun Manga - Daihasei Festival Arc Rating
Perfect 10 9 19.15%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 34.04%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 17.02%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 12.77%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 12.77%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 2.13%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 2.13%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2014-05-30, 19:23   Link #201
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
The scene doesn't retcon anything except the reason that they were in the folk dance in the first place.
Not even that, since IIRC Touma didn't give a reason in the LNs how he ended up in a dance with Mikoto.
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-30, 20:35   Link #202
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
Where do anime original plotlines fall?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
Things like Big Spider, Poltergeist, and Silent Party. Are they gaiden too?
That is a question I toiled with when making the 'A Certain Unified Calendar' in my sig. The way I've reasoned it out is like this:

Index LNs, Railgun Manga, Accelerator Manga, Side Stories ===== Canon

Big Spider, Poltergeist, Railgun OVA, Index Movie ===== Semi-Canon

Silent Party, Railgun PSP + Epilogue, Index PSP ===== Non-Canon

Semi-Canon events are ones that are explicitly not told through the LNs and manga. They are told through the anime (or other media) but the way they are told makes them unable to fit into the canon (whether it be because of timeline, character (Kongou) issues, etc). The defining point that sets them apart from non-canon events is the fact that characters and events from these arcs are explicitly referenced by the canon LNs and manga series. This leads to the following line of reasoning:

"An event similar to the semi-canon event occurred off-screen(panel) in the canon but happened in a way such that it fits perfectly with the canon. The semi-canon events as we see them are an approximation of the events that have actually occurred."

Its a bit hard to understand but there is definitely structure there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTalon View Post
Don't be so sure... Both previous arcs had loose ends that were left and those were used to fill up the rest of the anime episodes. Personally, I'd rather them do LA City and this arc, but 2 past examples of anime original arc based on remaining threads of manga arcs so...

I don't think that counts as filler anyway. The first one actually had one of its characters names in the novels so I'd say Kamachi clearly considers it canon, so odds are he does for the newer one with Shinobu too.
Poltergeist Arc? Not really. Kiyama was arrested and there was no need to continue that story. Silent Party Arc? No. Shinobu was NOT a loose end. Also the obvious loose ends here were left on purpose by Kamachi. They are too important to be told through an anime original arc.

I'd also like them to animate LAC (whether in S3 or a movie). But S3 will be difficult to produce as the Daihaseisai Arc has too many references to the light novels.

Perhaps the word filler is abused too much. It means different things in different contexts. Within an original work (manga) it can mean the events between the important ones. In an adaptation (anime) it can mean the events between canon events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
Not even that, since IIRC Touma didn't give a reason in the LNs how he ended up in a dance with Mikoto.
Fair point. I thought it was a retcon because the character of Saten Ruiko didn't even exist at the time of writing that novel.
Old 2014-05-30, 20:55   Link #203
SilverTalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACertainStark View Post
Why are some of you suggesting it would be "explained" in a anime-filler arc?

that defeats the purpose of it being called a filler then and they're just taking characters and plot points and making something out of nothing rather than it being canon.
Yeah I'm confused why OH&S considers those filler. Those arcs were canon and based on existing plot threads. The anime episode where they model for swimsuits was filler, but poltergeist and study I don't think fall under filler at all.

Quote:
Poltergeist Arc? Not really. Kiyama was arrested and there was no need to continue that story. Silent Party Arc? No. Shinobu was NOT a loose end. Also the obvious loose ends here were left on purpose by Kamachi. They are too important to be told through an anime original arc.
You don't consider the fact that she was stopped prior to saving the children and them still waiting to be saved to be a loose end? Kiyama was part 1: stopping the villain. Poltergeist was part 2: fixing the issue at hand.

You don't think abducting one of the people who assisted the heroine and saying flat out that shes going to be in a bad situation but not saying anything else is a loose end? I definitely consider not knowing what happened as a loose end. Now it isn't a super critical one and I would have been fine with not knowing, but it is still definitely there.
SilverTalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-30, 21:00   Link #204
GDB

Personally, I always view filler as being needless fluff that expands neither the story nor character development of recurring characters. Silent Party fits into this definition, and maybe a couple of one-off episodes (like the bathing suit episode).

As for Poltergeist, I'd say it was a thread that needed to be resolved. It would have felt horribly lacking to know these kids were part of an experiment, were asleep, said sleep was the antagonists primary drive, and then... nothing gets resolved at all.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-30, 21:21   Link #205
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Yeah I'm confused why OH&S considers those filler. Those arcs were canon and based on existing plot threads. The anime episode where they model for swimsuits was filler, but poltergeist and study I don't think fall under filler at all.

You don't consider the fact that she was stopped prior to saving the children and them still waiting to be saved to be a loose end? Kiyama was part 1: stopping the villain. Poltergeist was part 2: fixing the issue at hand.

You don't think abducting one of the people who assisted the heroine and saying flat out that shes going to be in a bad situation but not saying anything else is a loose end? I definitely consider not knowing what happened as a loose end. Now it isn't a super critical one and I would have been fine with not knowing, but it is still definitely there.
What am I considering filler again? I think my previous post displays what I consider canon/non-canon.

Again, the word filler is abused too much. The words that should be used are anime-original, canon, semi-canon and non-canon.

As for whether I think it was an issue: Kiyama? MAYBE. For her it certainly was, but it didn't really have anything to do with Misaka and co. Shinobu? No. She moved independently to Misaka and therefore had nothing to do with her again.

But perhaps it all depends on which medium you view the story through. If you view it through the anime then SilverTalon wanting closure for Kiyama would be something I agree with.
Old 2014-05-30, 21:28   Link #206
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Quote:
What am I considering filler again? I think my previous post displays what I consider canon/non-canon.

Again, the word filler is abused too much. The words that should be used are anime-original, canon, semi-canon and non-canon.

As for whether I think it was an issue: Kiyama? MAYBE. For her it certainly was, but it didn't really have anything to do with Misaka and co. Shinobu? No. She moved independently to Misaka and therefore had nothing to do with her again.

But perhaps it all depends on which medium you view the story through. If you view it through the anime then SilverTalon wanting closure for Kiyama would be something I agree with.
Though Shinobu didn't get much of a chance to shine, she seemed to only exist to give Misaka a hint to the experiment.

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Ravagerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-30, 21:41   Link #207
GDB

Which is weird, since if I recall in the manga she already seemed to be aware the Sisters existed as far back as Chapter 7 (which would equate to episode 1 of Index), talking about the military clones using her DNA when talking to Touma on the bridge. She even calls them Sisters (well, Imoutos).

After that, the information she got about it was from the Sisters, Accelerator, or via hacking. Shinobu really didn't have much of a purpose other than creating a preamble so the arc wasn't just thrust on you.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-30, 23:14   Link #208
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Which is weird, since if I recall in the manga she already seemed to be aware the Sisters existed as far back as Chapter 7 (which would equate to episode 1 of Index), talking about the military clones using her DNA when talking to Touma on the bridge. She even calls them Sisters (well, Imoutos).

After that, the information she got about it was from the Sisters, Accelerator, or via hacking. Shinobu really didn't have much of a purpose other than creating a preamble so the arc wasn't just thrust on you.
She was never aware of the Sisters themselves. To her, they were merely a rumor.
Here's the quote from the Seven Seas Translation
Quote:
With the focus on developing the mind here, it stands to reason that you get all kinds of crazy rumors. For example, there's an army of clones based on my DNA known as the Sisters. They were developed in secret by some laboratory.
Followed by Touma's snarky response
Quote:
Uh...Wow, that sounds...rough. Well, see you around.
My point is, she only heard a rumor but never really cared about it (since it was merely a rumor) until Shinobu's cryptic words like calling Mikoto "The Original".
But, Shinobu was merely a trigger. She was also meant to serve as an example of how deep and inescapable the darkness of Academy City is as she was supposed to have a "fate unknown" status after her capture. Sadly the Silent Party Arc ruined that.
Old 2014-05-31, 00:54   Link #209
coded321
He Who Games

so what's next?
coded321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-31, 00:57   Link #210
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Find out in October Issue since it's taking a break.
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-31, 03:49   Link #211
Bakaizer
Demon Hunter

touma always thinks that whenever he meets misaka, she would kill him
Old 2014-05-31, 03:50   Link #212
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakaizer View Post
touma always thinks that whenever he meets misaka, she would kill him
I would understand if it was pre-memory-loss, but I wonder what caused him to think so post-memory-loss...
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-31, 08:23   Link #213
Miraluka
Banned

^
Sister arc, the very first action Mikoto did when they met at the vending machine was throwing lightnings at him.

Quote:
Imagine Breaker. No matter if he was facing espers,
magicians, anyone wielding unknown
powers, or even divine miracles, anything
supernatural was negated when his right
hand touched it. That was the Imagine
Breaker's special power.
"???"
Kamijou looked at the scowling middle
school girl, who he thought should be
arrested for attempted homicide.
In other words, she made a bad first impression to him, twice.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-01, 00:32   Link #214
SilverTalon

Quote:

Sorry, was referring to that earlier post. Either you were writing that more recent one above my last post when I was writing mine or maybe I didn't refresh the page before I replied.

If you're going to bring in mediums, pick one source medium, and declare parts in other mediums but not also in the source to be filler, then it is just all filler because the source medium is definitely the novels. Just like the railgun manga is expanding on the index universe as a tangent, the anime original arcs are expanding on the railgun universe.
SilverTalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-01, 00:35   Link #215
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Quote:
Sorry, was referring to that earlier post. Either you were writing that more recent one above my last post when I was writing mine or maybe I didn't refresh the page before I replied.

If you're going to bring in mediums, pick one source medium, and declare parts in other mediums but not also in the source to be filler, then it is just all filler because the source medium is definitely the novels. Just like the railgun manga is expanding on the index universe as a tangent, the anime original arcs are expanding on the railgun universe.
If it's not from the source material then it's filler, end of story. Railgun anime is based off the Railgun Manga therefore it's source material, anything not in it is FILLER until Kamachi says it's canon it's not.
That's how it goes for everybody's information

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Ravagerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-01, 03:37   Link #216
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:

TL;DR…
Off-topic Rebuttal and explanation
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
I don't want to discuss this anymore.

In keeping the post on topic, ...um...err...I feel that some of the votes given to the poll seem to be a bit too harsh on the arc.
Old 2014-06-01, 09:15   Link #217
LevelSeven

Quote:
TL;DR…
Off-topic Rebuttal and explanation
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
I don't want to discuss this anymore.

In keeping the post on topic, ...um...err...I feel that some of the votes given to the poll seem to be a bit too harsh on the arc.
Aside from this canon-noncanon discussion:

I think this arc was average or ok!

they didnt make any real new stuff,
Plus point:
the only progress was that we know now that IT = dragon,
more about misakis past + understanding what exterior meant
new char (liquid shadow) (which will drop to the side and will never show up again )

minus points:
misakas lvl6-shift didnt have any aftereffects (which is SSSSSSOOOOOOO toaru-like),
gunha vanished after helping,
touma didnt change in any way (only after vol.22 where it showed up, ruled the battlefield and than recreated his arm),
everything regrading gensei and the experiment is unsolved(or it ended off-screen),

at least for me it is a good reason to not give this arc a better review as 6/10
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-01, 10:49   Link #218
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevelSeven View Post

minus points:
misakas lvl6-shift didnt have any aftereffects (which is SSSSSSOOOOOOO toaru-like),

Like a weird twitch or something from overloading her brain? or Some other experiment happening in the dark side?

gunha vanished after helping,

He probably had to go inject his Guts! into someone else. Gunha is a man of action.

touma didnt change in any way (only after vol.22 where it showed up, ruled the battlefield and than recreated his arm),

Are you referring to that the dragon appeared for the first time since Deep Blood and he didn't freak out considering they told him it was part of the Alchemists delusion?

everything regrading gensei and the experiment is unsolved(or it ended off-screen),

I'm hoping there is a whole arc dedicated to this in the accelerator manga...
I bolded my questions and responses and added them to the quote

The edge of sadomasochism is paper thin
SoloPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-01, 11:32   Link #219
ellifeedn
Thinker

This arc had a lot going for it, but I feel it suffered from trying to outdo the past arcs. Escalation can only get you so far. As for the unresolved plotlines, I'm sure they'll be touched upon in later chapters. It's too soon to write them off as "unfinished".
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-01, 13:40   Link #220
LevelSeven

Quote:
Like a weird twitch or something from overloading her brain? or Some other experiment happening in the dark side?
more like:
having pain while using her powers or needig to visit the HC for some medicaments and help + healing the f*cking (in a logical worrld) demaged organs...

it doesnt matter how i look at it but she was about to change into a being equal to god...
they stopped it and everything is solved?? life isnt so nice (of course => therefore: SSSSOOOOOOO toaru-like)

Quote:
He probably had to go inject his Guts! into someone else. Gunha is a man of action.
agreeeeee...
i simply wanted more screen time with him...
man of action should be one of his epiphets XD

Quote:
Are you referring to that the dragon appeared for the first time since Deep Blood and he didn't freak out considering they told him it was part of the Alchemists delusion?
not really, i can understand why he didnt bother himself with that question after vol.2
BUT this is completly different:
- his arm was severed
- a f*cking dragon showed up
- it destroyed the "so powerful"-dark matter bomb
- all the extra-energy which was in her body vanished
- his arm grow back

come on, even than? being a bit interested in the dragon in your right arm isnt bad

Quote:
I'm hoping there is a whole arc dedicated to this in the accelerator manga...
maybe they need last order for a virus which they upload to this special clone
- this special clone is the core of the phase which the DA-guys want to create/use
- misaki/mitori stroy begins now
- they meet yomikawa/yoshikawa + other clones
- struggle and loose
- accel shows up and a "happy, nice, FSM 6"-killing begins
=> will never happen, this scenario

agree, but we will need to wait for at least three years
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote