Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2023-12-06, 19:05   Link #421
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engels View Post
So, will the first ''season'' finish with 24 or 26 epsiodes?
24 episodes.
Old 2023-12-07, 14:32   Link #422
Frontier

Yahiko should know better by now than to suggest Kenshin is fooling around with another woman behind Kaoru's back. But they have bigger things to worry about...like Saito! Slipping in as Goro Fujita !

I love how Kaoru had pretty much written off Sano for dead, probably thinking she wouldn't need to worry about him freeloading any more .

Akamatsu really thought he'd taken Kenshin down? Kenshin tanked all those hits just so he could understand what Saito's plan is, as soon as he has that he quickly frees himself and finishes Akamatsu off. Dude's defeat isn't even off-screen .

Man, Kenshin has it rough. He gets thrown around like a rag doll and returns home just in time to see his arch-rival chilling at his home, ready to fight him. But while Kenshin thinks Saito has degraded himself and the nobility of the Shinsengumi, Saito sees Kenshin as dishonoring himself as a warrior with his no-kill code and letting the bad guys he's stopped get away with too much before he resolved the issue. And both are carrying these feelings into their first duel in over a decade .

Well, this fight definitely got off on the wrong foot for Kenshin, Saito straight up stabs him and then tosses him aside like he did Sano. And that's before he brings in his leg for kick attacks. In the Bakumatsu era you use anything you have at your disposal to win .

Kaoru was worried she'd lose Kenshin in this fight and she was right to be concerned as he slowly transforms back into Hitokiri Battosai, right down to his voice sounding different, as has been building up across all the fights he's had over the course of the series. Saito brought out his full warrior instincts, and he finally gets to fight Battosai again .

Jeez, the fight gets so serious it eventually stops being a sword fight. They lose their blades, Saito throws hands and tries to break Kenshin's neck with his jacket, and Kenshin hits him with his hilt. They're throwing everything they still have at each other .

Kaoru doesn't want to lose the man she loves to Hitokiri Battosai, but the only person that can stop these two who have returned back to the Bakumatsu era is someone who lived through it with them...such as revolutionary soldier and current Meiji Home Minster Okotsu, who orchestrated this whole thing to test Kenshin's abilities. Kenshin doesn't seem too happy to see him .
Old 2023-12-07, 14:40   Link #423
EroKing

The Hitokiri Battousai everyone was waiting for. This did not disappoint.
Old 2023-12-07, 18:43   Link #424
GDB

The way the VA changes both tone and dialect/manner of speech is so disturbing, it really makes Kaoru's reaction stronger.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-07, 18:59   Link #425
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Soma Saito's performance in this episode was stellar. Recasting Kenshin is the best thing this remake has done.
Old 2023-12-07, 19:36   Link #426
grecefar

huh, normally the yell of the main girl stops the match but it wasn't like that here. Hitokkiri battousai is not joke.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-07, 20:52   Link #427
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
huh, normally the yell of the main girl stops the match but it wasn't like that here. Hitokkiri battousai is not joke.
Kaoru already used it once, Kenshin is probably immune now .
Old 2023-12-07, 21:15   Link #428
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
This one is going to be harder to walk back from. Mostly because there wasn't a way for Kaoru to stop Kenshin. They simply lucked out that the mastermind decided to show up and basically blow the whistle on their fight. That's...a rough one.

Obviously it was somewhat expected and highlights a major issue. If Kenshin isn't strong enough in his no-kill state then he can easily get flipped to a kill mode depending on the opponent. The policy is only as strong as the relative strength of his opponent.

I feel bad for Kaoru in this moment and I feel bad for how Kenshin is going to feel later. He's still in a pissed off state. But soon as this immediate situation plays out he's going to have to face a distraught Kaoru and the realization of how ready he was to kill. Very nearly proving Jine right once again.

And of course this whole situation isn't exactly done either. I really doubt they used a mad dog like Saito to test Kenshin just for the sake of curiosity. They almost certainly want to use him for something.
Old 2023-12-07, 21:39   Link #429
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Kenshin vs Hajime and there just destroying Kaoru dojo
Old 2023-12-07, 23:03   Link #430
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Hmmh ...

Spoiler for Episode 23, better not open this if you didn't like '96 or spoiler-ish talks:

Last edited by Tactics; 2023-12-08 at 03:08. Reason: Typo
Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-08, 03:47   Link #431
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

I remember in the 1996 anime they were fighting in the dojo and Himura Battousai was using the walls/ceiling to go against Saito. That was an epic battle back then.

When Kenshin's voice and eyes changed into the old Himura Battousai, I became thrilled that the most enjoyable arc for me was finally underway.
magnumcyclonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-08, 08:37   Link #432
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroKing View Post
This did not disappoint.
I'm actually disappointed by this episode in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
Hmmh ...

Spoiler for Episode 23, better not open this if you didn't like '96 or spoiler-ish talks:
Agreed with most of what you said.

After these very important couple of episodes, I can safely say that the generic episodes of RK23 (easily) surpass the generic episodes of RK96. BUT, the highest peaks of RK23 are not able to top the highest peaks of RK96. Yes, we still have one more episode to go for this season IIRC but now I think I know what to expect from this 23 team (for better & worse). Here's hoping that RK24 or RK25 can get better.

Thank god they actually use male voice for Kenshin this time coz that's actually an essential improvement from RK96 and one of the big reasons for me to keep watching this show pre-Jinchu Arc. Speaking of, Saito's new seiyuu did a pretty good job. I just wish that the animation direction has more style & atmosphere to match the seiyuu's good performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Kaoru already used it once, Kenshin is probably immune now .
It's Battousai who is immune now
Old 2023-12-08, 09:22   Link #433
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
After these very important couple of episodes, I can safely say that the generic episodes of RK23 (easily) surpass the generic episodes of RK96.
I'm the opposite;

Spoiler for On my side, I found RK '96 still got some edges over RK '23:

Last edited by Tactics; 2023-12-08 at 09:48.
Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-08, 10:18   Link #434
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
I'm the opposite;

Spoiler for On my side, I found RK '96 still got some edges over RK '23:
Your Oniwabanshu comment and what follows below it is precisely what I consider RK96 peaks that RK23 couldn't match.

I mean, you'e seen me previously having some debates with others in favor of Oniwabanshu from RK96.
Old 2023-12-08, 12:44   Link #435
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Saito Hajime
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sait%C5%8D_Hajime

Ōkubo Toshimichi
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%8Ckubo_Toshimichi

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2023-12-08 at 12:58.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-08, 17:33   Link #436
Frontier

I enjoy both.
Old 2023-12-08, 17:45   Link #437
Engels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
24 episodes.
Thank you!
Engels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-08, 18:22   Link #438
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
I enjoy both.
Not allowed, not pure enough. Delete your account.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-08, 19:31   Link #439
Uribatake

I thought episode 23 did a generally good job with the Kenshin/Saito fight, and I like the change the director made by having the end of the fight happen outside the Kamiya dojo. The only bit that didn't work for me was the shot where Saito disarmed Kenshin with his belt. I found it too quick and poorly composed/framed.

But man, the comparison with the beginning of episode 30 of the '90s adaptation is brutal. That one had some particularly nice animation and Furuhashi himself handling the storyboarding and direction.
Uribatake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-09, 01:54   Link #440
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
I enjoy both.
I do too.
"Enjoying" and "being disappointed" are not mutually exclusive.

For example, I was disappointed by Avengers: Endgame in general but I can still have fun with it & enjoy it.