AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Muv-Luv Franchise > Total Eclipse

Notices

Old 2012-07-11, 10:41   Link #701
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnus View Post
Though my question now is, if it weren't for the romance tags on AniDB or here, I wouldn't have taken it for one (I was getting more Xenoglossia vibes from it). Does this show/franchise truly fall into that category at all, or is it something akin to Gundam SEED? I realize I could do a search on it, but I'm trying to avoid spoilers as much as I can.
The Muv-Luv visual novels are actually a romance to the core. They just start off as a typical romcom and later on shift to a more sci-fi feel similar to what you see in Total Eclipse. However, the romance isn't forgotten and it remains an important aspect of the plot.

I'm not sure how romantic Total Eclipse will get, but I've heard that there is a love triangle.

I hope this helps you out. Keep a good watch out for spoilers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
I see them as quite similar to otakus who have an appetite for 2d high school girls and females, though the desire to "eat" them in a different fashion

*runs out of this thread*
That's a cute analogy, but it falls apart because the BETA would devour/harvest any human regardless of age or gender.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 10:52   Link #702
EroKing

I don't recall a scene where they were eating guys/men which was probably done something off-screen but hey I can dream can't I?
Old 2012-07-11, 12:15   Link #703
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
A lot of people been complaining about the realism of the show's military tactics. Things like "why aren't there more nukes used!?!?" and "why isn't there a mine field!?!"

It's amazing how analytic people can get over this show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Military tactics are not even the point of episode two. The point of the episode is to showcase what Yui went through and how she soldier on to give humanity's doom the middle finger.
Agreed, but that's a side effect of using mecha to appeal to more fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, good news then!

I've just created a new thread now called Muv-Luv Franchise: Military Tactics, History, and Geo-Politics where people who don't want to wait for the anime to reveal these sorts of points can ask questions and get answers from experienced game players (within spoiler tags as appropriate).

As this anime thread is supposed to be spoiler-free, we should restrict the conversation here to only things revealed in the anime, and I imagine that some of these points will come up in future episodes.

So from this point forward, please direct your questions and discussion as appropriate.

I want to note that there is also a general Muv-Luv Game Thread where all topics related to the game can be discussed. And if someone wanted to create a Light Novel thread specific to the Total Eclipse novels, that would be okay too.
So doesn't it make more sense to have a muv-luv subforum, instead of several scattered threads

Quote:
I don't recall a scene where they were eating guys/men which was probably done something off-screen but hey I can dream can't I?
That only shows that BEATA have good taste
AmeNoJaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 12:41   Link #704
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeNoJaku View Post
So doesn't it make more sense to have a muv-luv subforum, instead of several scattered threads
One good reason to have a subforum is for discussion of separate characters. We have very little to talk about in the way of characters from the first two episodes of Total Eclipse. The third episode introduces the main cast, so I'd give Total Eclipse up to episode 5 or later before a Muv-Luv subforum is made, if at all.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 12:47   Link #705
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku

after watching this i want rage kill every damn beta in existence with a single horned white mech that morph into a crimson death machine

is bgm kinda reflex my (rage/ sadness) emotions

Spoiler for ...:
kaizerknight01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 15:13   Link #706
Ray
Garnet

Wow; talk about an overwhelming defeat.

Episode 2 was pretty intense; seeing those inexperienced girls get taken down one by one was horrible.

I quite like the OP song. I'm looking forward to hearing the full version.

And gawd, that Takemi was amazing.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 16:26   Link #707
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvance View Post
magazine scans.

Images
nsfw
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
What I found hilarious is people on 2chan talks more about others characters, specially about Innia, more than Yui or the others who just died .

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, good news then!

I've just created a new thread now called Muv-Luv Franchise: Military Tactics, History, and Geo-Politics where people who don't want to wait for the anime to reveal these sorts of points can ask questions and get answers from experienced game players (within spoiler tags as appropriate).

As this anime thread is supposed to be spoiler-free, we should restrict the conversation here to only things revealed in the anime, and I imagine that some of these points will come up in future episodes.

So from this point forward, please direct your questions and discussion as appropriate.

I want to note that there is also a general Muv-Luv Game Thread where all topics related to the game can be discussed. And if someone wanted to create a Light Novel thread specific to the Total Eclipse novels, that would be okay too.
Thanks, I was lost on the thread with that much mecha-info-talk .
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 16:32   Link #708
Hagoshod
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Hagoshod
Just for clarification: Dead Boyfriend-chan's boyfriend is never actually given a name, right?
Hagoshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 16:38   Link #709
SolarAquarion
Organic Mecha

I like how Muv Luv was heavily influenced by Starship Trooper (the book, not the movie) you kind of see it in the story/the philosophy of Muv Luv.
SolarAquarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 16:57   Link #710
maximilianjenus
[E]

that's an interesting point becuase I think there is japanese fiction on alien invasions that predates star ship troopers.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 17:00   Link #711
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianjenus View Post
that's an interesting point becuase I think there is japanese fiction on alien invasions that predates star ship troopers.
Starship Troopers was published in 1959. The Verhoeven film got released in 1997.
AmeNoJaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 17:22   Link #712
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xezexal View Post
I like how Muv Luv was heavily influenced by Starship Trooper (the book, not the movie) you kind of see it in the story/the philosophy of Muv Luv.
ep2 was Murphy's law "anything that can go wrong will go wrong" or Murphy's law of combat

felt terrible seeing the inexperienced girls being slaughtered/ meet the demise like that .....

noob question why do the people using the Mech in MuvLuv are in ultra tight skin jumpsuit? I know it was base on a VN but kinda surprised about pilot's suit ( guess must be for ecchi purposes )
Old 2012-07-11, 22:17   Link #713
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Yui's team all dead. Totally expected it, especially Aki who got cocky and lost situational awareness, and the girl who was always flying too high.

Also, given how the BETA went after Yamashiro.... That wasn't eating. She was devoured.

So, wonder how history will record this. The Fall of Kyoto? The Rape of Kyoto? The Devouring of Kyoto?

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 22:24   Link #714
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ That depends if there will be anyone else left undevoured.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 22:29   Link #715
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post

So, wonder how history will record this. The Fall of Kyoto? The Rape of Kyoto? The Devouring of Kyoto?
The Battle of Kyoto , more of Siege of Kyoto or better the Slaughter of Kyoto..
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 23:51   Link #716
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizerknight01 View Post

noob question why do the people using the Mech in MuvLuv are in ultra tight skin jumpsuit? I know it was base on a VN but kinda surprised about pilot's suit ( guess must be for ecchi purposes )
The suit is not just a normal suit, it is armor, even thought can't stop the force trauma. There are 2 purpose:
1. Remove the shame from the pilots due there are no private sector for invidinual male or female in frontline (ex: bath together).
2. Since it is a armor, the suit is tought, you can image what happen if a part of your suit stuck in collapsed objects, you can be stuck forever (due you can't rip or take off the suit (mean you take off your armor too), but the skin-tight suit don't has that issue unless parts of your body are stucked.

plus purpose, it is a fan service in a eroage game. Many guys refer see a butt/boobs in skin-tight suit than 80% skin-show in thong/bikini.
Old 2012-07-12, 01:01   Link #717
Ddraig

Quote:
I see them as quite similar to otakus who have an appetite for 2d high school girls and females, though the desire to "eat" them in a different fashion

*runs out of this thread*
At least these girls get eat up which is by far i consider to be lucky than what could happen in Muv Luv game.
Ddraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 01:04   Link #718
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddraig View Post
At least these girls get eat up which is by far i consider to be lucky than what could happen in Muv Luv game.
Hmmm.... Really? I think having instant death via lasers to be much a better way to die than being eaten alive.
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 01:06   Link #719
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerklein View Post
The suit is not just a normal suit, it is armor, even thought can't stop the force trauma. There are 2 purpose:
1. Remove the shame from the pilots due there are no private sector for invidinual male or female in frontline (ex: bath together).
2. Since it is a armor, the suit is tought, you can image what happen if a part of your suit stuck in collapsed objects, you can be stuck forever (due you can't rip or take off the suit (mean you take off your armor too), but the skin-tight suit don't has that issue unless parts of your body are stucked.

plus purpose, it is a fan service in a eroage game. Many guys refer see a butt/boobs in skin-tight suit than 80% skin-show in thong/bikini.
ok thanks for the info will to to research more about Muv_Luv series , but a have a nagging feeling given form what seen the eroge version will be more gory and have "dark side fetishes" most eroge this genre have ( which i really am digusted with and stay sway form that with a 50 ft pole)

guess what draw me was the mech and weapons ( well the girls are nice looking too )
Old 2012-07-12, 01:38   Link #720
DoomRavager

Some small preview images from the next episode showing up on the official twitter.

Spoiler for Preview images:

And some magazine photos.

Images
Possible NSFW magazine photos
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-07-12 at 02:09.
DoomRavager is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, aliens, mecha, romance, science fiction, seinen