View Single Post
Old 2024-04-06, 15:16   Link #432
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Reading through the old posts here, you had done so in both a vociferous and frequent manner. There is absolutely nothing unrealistic about significant decrease in accuracy in close quarters: the fight-or-flight response and the ensuing surge of adrenaline and cortisol causes people to shake and act reflexively. It happens with small arms (most bullets fired actually miss their target), and from a statistical study done regarding the armed forces, the number of rounds fired to achieve a casualty is somewhere between 20000 and 100000. Based purely on real-world observations, it is completely and totally gratuitous to claim that the writers are forcibly trying to accommodate for the story. The reality is that, especially at close ranges, excitement and nerves cause people to act reflexively, resulting in missed shots. This is even seen in video games: at close range, panic causes players to empty entire magazines at one foe, but when the engagement distance increases, players play more calmly and take time to place their shots.

Regarding themes and characterisation, works that have good characters have failed completely for me because they fail to say something significant, and I've gone through fiction with despicable characters that I ended up viewing favourably because the author framed their experiences in a way as to say something significant. There is a reason why the so-called "Western" approach results in stories that have international acclaim: people value the idea of a struggle and what it says about people because at the end of the day, people, East or West, are wired to solve problems. You are free to believe what you choose regarding other works, but in the case of Girls und Panzer, matters of marksmanship are ultimately irrelevant because they do not speak poorly about the characters. In fact, demanding that everyone hits their shots in urban combat is to be unreasonable because it would demand the writers ignore real-world things like adrenaline. If Girls und Panzer featured young girls who were similar to the Lycoris or equivalent, trained to suppress their emotions and act calmly in stressful scenarios, then your expectations would be valid, but here, it comes across as though you're looking for things to complain about where there are none. I do appreciate you taking the time to justify your perspective, but we will have to agree to disagree.