Thread: Licensed Hikaru no Go
View Single Post
Old 2004-02-06, 14:52   Link #63
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to complich8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordlucless
Haha, I was really thrilled when I watched the special, because I had only recently been reading some high-ranked amateurs discussing the pros and cons of a tengen opening. So I could actually follow what they were doing ;p
A lot of people I think don't realize that most of the games they're playing now are real pro games. Especially the interesting ones, like the game played out in the OVA.

The actual game hikaru and the other guy played was a match between Yamashita Keigo and Takao Shinji back when they were both 6 dan pros. You can find a kifu of it over on gobase.org if you've got a gobase account (recommended for everyone who likes playing go and wants to get better). Keigo (whose role in the game hikaru was playing) just recently lost his third straight in the Kisei cup finals. He's got to win 4 straight to win the title now. A lot of high dan amateurs and pro commentators were predicting he'd lose the first 3 and then win the next 4 and keep the title, so it could be a pretty interesting game.

Next game is feb 18-19 ... if you're on igs at 10 EST or later on those days, check out the games list, you'll probably see a 9p up at the top broadcasting the title match.
complich8 is offline   Reply With Quote