View Single Post
Old 2006-09-06, 08:57   Link #28
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak
Heh, can't say I hate Nina Purpleton (I hate the name, though). She came off more realistically as a character than say... anyone from CE. Yes, although I love CE, and I love its characters, deep down, CE is nothing more than... pure fantasy. In fact, its so 'fantastic' it cannot be redeemed by any measure of 'realism'.
I don't think that neither Nina's indecisiveness nor her relative realism have anything to do with my loathing her. I dislike her because of her stupidity, selfishness, and that she was allowed such a sensitive position to begin with. In particular, she wondered why Kou and Gato had to fight illustrates that. Perhaps she didn't notice the fact that Gato had just nuked thousands of Kou's (and her) compatriots, or maybe she just didn't care. Pulling the pistol on Kou later only mad things worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak
But Aina is one of those rare female characters we should really see more of. She has the kind of strong will that people can put their trust on. A person of reliance. You don't see many of those around. Not to mention, MS08 is as close to a war drama as Gundam could be. Unlike the more fantasy-driven G Gundam, Wing and of course, SEED.
Aina is one of the better-written female Gundam characters, but I don't think that the choice she made at the end was very poor. Trying to evacuate the ship in the face of the Federation siege was both foolish and futile. As it was a hostile vessel, there wasn't any reason for the Federation to not shoot it down, and there was nothing the Zeon forces could do to protect it. It would have made a lot more sense for them to simply surrender.

Even so, Aina did things for humanistic reasons, and I still like her for that.