Thread: Crunchyroll Solo Leveling
View Single Post
Old 2024-01-27, 20:11   Link #88
Rasty

The first episode was impressively unimpressive (and I rather liked the web novel version).

They clearly have a decent budget, since the animation itself was solid, but everything else felt off. They jumped all around, lots of action that I don't have any reason to care about and lots of infodumps that should have been done either better, later when relevant, or not at all. Because of that, I have no attachment to any character and no tension can be built in 15s chunks. All in all, we got like 2min with the main character and about 10s of his motivation. They completely skipped BGM and the OP isn't my style (though I guess it's not objectively bad). It looks like the first work of a new studio, but it's done by an established one, so no idea why it turned out like this...

Anyway, I continued watching and the quality improved massively. Though, the whole series would be better if they just threw away the whole first episode and left just 2 to 3 minutes of quick intro into the second. It's the worst start of a decent series since Arifureta (still better than that), but I wonder what they were thinking. The first episode is the most important as it decides whether people will continue watching or not.

As for the 4th episode. The quality was great, but the MC deserved to die against the snake. Seriously, he knew the boss is much stronger than him, had no idea what it is and his weapon was obviously about to give out and yet he went for it. That's clearly just unnecessarily complex suicide. If they at least left out the part where he knows it's stronger before going for it, it could be just blamed on overconfidence and high adrenaline.

Last edited by Rasty; 2024-01-27 at 21:08.
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote