View Single Post
Old 2023-08-15, 18:24   Link #1027
Lucidrago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dareal_truth View Post
So what's the main focus difference with SD and dxd? tbh he doesn't really need a dept background to grow as a character he just lacks execution. He has a Longinus that’s tied to the supernatural world at large he has the rivals but ish doesn't use them right he the potential folis but it's never set up correctly
About SD I know it has the harem subplot but what's the difference between how it's set up compared to Dxd? Anyway back to something more mundane how would you want next vol to go?
True. He doesn't need a deep background to grow as a character but needs some type of background to have some of the more serious plot points in DxD to be relevant like Tobio's grandmother being a former a former member of the Himejima clan. The whole thing with discrimination against devils not of pure birth doesn't even affect Issei as the only devils seen that actually seemed to care so much about that were Riser and Diodora and do I really need to explain why they were bad examples? He pretty much got engaged to Rias' and regardless of all the nameless naysayers they can do nothing about that since it's the Gremory family's decision. He became a high-class devil in less than a year which is rather extraordinary. And he is now a Special-class devil and only one person in the Underworld has a rank/title that surpasses that and it's Ajuka Beelzebub.

When Ishibumi decided to make the series way more serious starting I'ma the fourth arc, he took away the main thing that made Issue unique SMH the series interesting which was Issei powering up through breasts. While still wanting to keep the series comedic and light-hearted but to be honest it just fell flat. And once Issei became so overpowered he really didn't need them anymore and the series lacked any real stakes starting in Shin, the series just lost what originally made it special and it was only left with its flaws which were there since the beginning but are even more obvious now because of the lack of focus in the series now.

I actually liked Volume 24 besides the Rias vs Vali Rating Game because it was a return back to what originally made the volume so good with a legitimate strong opponent and some real actual stakes and Issei being the actual underdog. And getting a ridiculous power-up at the last second through the power of breasts allowing him to defeat Thanatos. But then again I have a bit of a bias towards badass scythe wielders.

Issei isn't really the only character that has remained mostly static and unchanging. Pretty much all the main cast has. Sure they've gotten stronger and matured a bit but that just naturally comes with the territory. Almost none of their interactions have changed with each other besides how some of the girls address Issei now. Issei is still the same reactive protagonist who takes no initiatives with his harem despite proposing to almost all of them. Almost everyone is just a caricature of their former selfs and the only thing about them we can look forward to is their next power-up.
Lucidrago is offline   Reply With Quote