View Single Post
Old 2022-12-19, 00:25   Link #27
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
My expectations weren't that high to begin with, but I'm honestly a bit disturbed by the glacial pace of this season. I would honestly have far less complaints if we had a regular season of a full cour, but since it is scheduled to be 8 episodes, I'm pretty baffled that we are already past half of it and nothing of note really happened aside of Nishimura fleet being decimated.

My biggest issue is that the anime staff put way too much emphasis on Shigure's trauma to the detriment of her interactions with the cast. Because of this, there are many very awkward "empty" moments left and right. Sure, it is meaningful for a character like Shigure but since she doesn't really interact with other characters, she looks incredibly passive as result, except when Fusou, Yamashiro and the rest of desron 4 got dismissed.
I think they could have balanced this episode much better instead of being too focused on Shigure's PTSD. If anything, I'm more annoyed by the fact they didn't really took this chance to show Yukikaze and Shigure becoming friends with actual dialogues and the likes.

At least they didn't use the self insert Admiral this time around, but he felt more like a background character than an actual important figure in the cast. I think it would have made more sense to have the Admiral as the main focus of the first half. Something like him assessing the gains and loss of that operation, his actual thoughts of being forced to use the 1st Strike Force as bait and the impact of losing its members aside of Shigure and Mogami. Then in the second half, it would have been nice to have some quality time between Shigure and Yukikaze.
I can agree with that. He seems like a good guy. But staying very locked into Shigure's point of view does take away from some things. Would have been nice to spend more time with him. Especially since all of this must be taking a toll on him as well. Would have been good just focusing on that perspective, have him interact with a few other characters while working through the positives and negatives of the latest operation. But hey, at least he counts as a character.

Does feel like they were a bit too focused on the heavy weight of Shigure's trauma and didn't take the chance to focus on other things. It definitely worked for making an episode that felt heavy. But I would have been good with focusing more on the bonding done between Shigure and Yukikaze. Especially since Yukikaze seems rather set up for her own trauma and drama going on. So would be easier to get into that if we got to know her more than during brief highlight packs of her and Shigure bonding.