View Single Post
Old 2021-07-27, 19:03   Link #4
zeando
maybenotimome

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsta666 View Post
Not sure I share your optimism over forums becoming popular again but I hope you are right. You just don't get the same quality responses on chat services.
It's not necessarily optimism in a comeback of forums, but rather the feel that social medias are getting closer to their final rotting stage. Once more people will start getting disgusted and leave them, if they will, either they will go away entirely from internet (or just from public spaces), or they may discover there existed an internet before the socials. (i talk mainly about the phone people, who hardly know how to use a pc, and who are the main drive of the social medias populations)
If that happens, the more classic and less marketing intoxicated forums may be among the spaces getting more attention again, or other new forms may instead.

But yeah, chats by design aren't made to have detailed discussions, the more people in them the more of a stadium cheer they become.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsta666 View Post
Reddit or discord might be your best bet for gaming forums these days although considering discord a forum is probably stretching the definition of a forum. It is probably just a modern version of irc chat.
I would be wary about also calling reddit a forum. Reddit is like a midway between a forum and a chat, a forum with the rhythm of a chat. ... or maybe the closer comparison to reddit, is a nested twitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
There's Beast's Lair, 17th Shard, CBR, Arlong Park, Primetimer, MAL, Spacebattles, Sufficient Velocity Resetera,etc.
Of those I already knew arlongpark, that's an historical forum at this point. (and also mal obv)

Beast's Lair, a Type-Moon focused forum? Pretty funny how these niches manage to remain so active for so long.
17th Shard, hmm ok, an author fan forum.
CBR, the comic books forum or the honda motorcycle forum? (the comic book one is pretty impressive)
Primetimer, oh, tv shows.
Spacebattles, multipurpose?
Sufficient Velocity, also multipurpose it seems, with more attention to rp and the creative side? Ah, it's an offshot of spacebattles, thx SB wiki.
A shame so many forums have taken on the xenforo format, it's pretty hideous in it's habit of hiding useful informations, almost dumbed down for the phone experience.
Resetera, oh a neogaf offshot, that's an other ancient name. Curious design btw.
zeando is offline   Reply With Quote