View Single Post
Old 2020-11-01, 22:06   Link #73
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
treating idols as people instead of assets would be an improvement, but I don’t see how it would prevent all of this from happening?

I feel like it’s 2 different issues?

As you said bad actors will weaponize what they can and they don’t even need to be actual fans
Because a good chunk of the fan base expect them to be perfect and infallible rather than actual people.

Hold the wrong political view? They don't just lash out and drop them like with most entities that become involved in such things, they harass for months on end and even try to get them IRL because there's the added element of perceived betrayal. It applies to any other controversial view also.

The weaponization of whatever issues loses its potency if the viewers weren't so sensitive. You can't cancel someone whose core base will just shrug and go "whatever, that's life. Not as if the VTuber is a murderer or something."

If you want demonstration just go roam Bilibili or 4chan. Those people are hurt as if someone killed their loved one. Some think they are defending Aqua or whatever girl they worship from evil Artia/Coco. It's pitiful to see.

In case it isn't clear, I don't mean Cover treating their people right, because by most accounts they are OK in the staff-staff interaction aspect. What I mean is nurturing of a saner viewer base. Hell, it might even catalyze reform in the idol industry as a whole if people see they can get by without exploiting otaku with issues.

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2020-11-01 at 22:18.
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote