View Single Post
Old 2020-08-31, 15:47   Link #30
Jaden

I used to watch Kizuna Ai some, thought it was a cute concept, but ultimately kinda cringe.

Then next I checked, there was like a thousand VTubers running around. Great, I thought, a bunch of amateurs hopped in on the bandwagon, and will probably run this fad into the ground pretty quickly.

But, they persisted and grew, until some of my friends started linking VTuber content. One day they dragged me in to watch Hayato Kagami's 3D debut stream together.

Needless to say, stream was epic AF, and I was really impressed. So, I started diving into the VTuber bog on my own time, and quickly revised my opinion of them being "amateur bandwagoners". Clearly, collaboration and competition are breeding excellence in this genre.

YouTube is being pretty nice to VTubers so far. I didn't have to go out of my way to familiarize myself with them, all I had to do is click one random VTuber clip, and the recommended feed algorithm took care of the rest. They also seem to be making decent money. I'm a little worried that YouTube will eventually crush this genre, like they've done with many others.