View Single Post
Old 2020-06-03, 19:58   Link #46
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
Index hasn't been important to the story since OT where she spent the majority of the time getting kidnapped. Literally every single plot point related to her has been stagnating in the background since the first volume until it was resolved matter of factly in some unrelated volume, for example, the second controller just got handwaived and destroyed during the Francisca/Lilith arc and Johns Penn mode being the only thing left to be dealt with was destroyed and it wasn't even the main issue of NT.22R.

Her position as Touma's magical information source basically disappeared as soon as Othinus joined, and as has been mentioned she all but disappeared during NT and the times where she was involved she was literally just being carried around by someone else. Heck, her grimories are barely even helping anymore, for a recent example, Touma, Accelerator and Aleister figured out the way the golden magicians secret at the same time that Index and Fran were figuring it out to help... What good is that information if they already have it and figured it out themselves? It's also not like they told other magicians so they could stand up to them or create a counter offensive, so what was the point?

In my personal opinion (you are free to disagree with it, just respect it), as much as I would have liked to have seen her be a proper character (she had the potential at some point) Index as she currently is and has been since OT has overstayed her welcome in the story and serves no purpose other than being the token yamato nadeshiko (as in the girl that is always obediently waiting for you at home)/loli/pet of Touma's group (seriously, what is it with this series and giving the male characters lolis? At first it was a joke, but at this point it's getting creepy, the joke doesn't work when the story takes it seriously), I'm supposed to care about her when I am not give any reason to do so. While other characters have gotten character development she has gotten literally nothing (Misaki has had more character development already and she only entered the picture in NT, Othinus had the same amount of character development as Index and basically replaced her) and that's a shame, especially in this series.
It is true that Index's importance as Touma's magical advisor was lessened a lot (it didn't completely disappear), but her role as Touma's sanctuary makes her just as important, only in a different way as even you yourself admitted. You might think it important, but Kamachi was clearly going for that.

Quote:
Spoiler for NT.22R story details:
Spoiler for NT22R spoilers:

Quote:
As for Misaki, well, I will reserve my judgement for after GT.2 and whatever happens (I hope it isn't yet another thing to do with Touma's memories, we already went through this in NT.22R and the possiblity of having them return, if they do, that would be a giant cop out in Kamachi's part), but personally I am not happy at how both her and Hamazura basically got off scotch free from having helped the villains (not antagonists, outright villains) and how Kamachi just decided to keep the status quo and not give them some sort of punishment for their actions. We'll see how he rewards her in this next volume.
This again, why are you so focused on Hamazura getting off scot free when literally everyone has in this series, including Touma and Mikoto.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote