View Single Post
Old 2019-09-26, 16:35   Link #1
tyciol
*Artist

"all but obsolete"

From homepage:
Quote:
For many years AnimeSuki tried to be a complete and convenient overview for all unlicensed English anime fansubs available through the file sharing application BitTorrent.

The advent of anime streaming services like Crunchyroll, FunimationNow, HIDIVE, Amazon Prime Video and Netflix (to name a few) has made the site all but obsolete.

The site was effectively defunct for a number of years now, so its closure was long overdue.
I imagine there were many older series not licenses by CR/FN/HD/APV/NF ...

While there are various places like Nyaa which do still have their torrent files, they are mixed in with a bunch of licensed stuff...

That's kind of inconvenient for those of us who only want to find unlicensed series, whether it be for moral reasons or simply safety (ie copyright trolls sniffing IPs using the torrents and starting legal action against them via contacting the ISPs of those not using seedboxes or proxy servers)

Do you think there might potentially be a future for tracking series which aren't licensed, however much that may have shrunk?

Those not licensed would be sort of niche ... not appealing enough for a company to license, whether due to being controversial or due to being old / unloved.

I remember I used to come here to find out about a bunch of stuff like the World Masterpiece Theatre ones from the 80s/90s for example.

It's sort of hard to find stuff like that when searching randomly on other torrent sites like Nyaa due to the flood of more popular licensed stuff.

Baka has some of it but due to their completionist policies, didn't help with making aware of only partially-subbed series. Not to mention that since they went private, it's become difficult to maintain the ratio required to get non-freeleech stuff, which is very tough on the older series that aren't 1080p (most of them)

If it is not possible to track that special niche groups, is there some way to perhaps partner / mentor the restructuring of sites like nyaa with features/categories that allow restricting searches to non-licensed things only?
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote