Thread: Licensed Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha
View Single Post
Old 2018-10-19, 00:07   Link #6
Nymene

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1412 View Post
wait, this one is already licensed ???
Yes, under Japanese publication. I thought the licensed tag meant, "WNs that have been gotten an LN publication", and didn't knew about the tag's actual meaning of "English licensed publication".

Anyway, I'd like to make a brief review of this WN.

How is the story ?
Great, with a gripping plot about a conspiracy from a fake demon lord and how the MC has to uncover the truth after his reincarnation.

Characters ?
All cool, cute, badass and interesting. As a comparison, I have read these 2 other magic battle school fantasy LNs, Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records and Mahouka Koukou, and I think Maou Gakuin is more entertaining than those other 2. 1 thing I disliked about Rokudenashi is that the story is too cliched and gave a strong Shounen Manga feel to it, but Maou Gakuin doesn't have that feeling.

Perhaps the characters in Rokudenashi are too childish and hyper for my tastes ? In contrast, Maou Gakuin has more elegant, regal, noble, cool, badass and stylish characters similar to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei. Maou Gakuin also has a side couple/side pairing, with the guy in the couple being the one named Rey, who's standing beside the MC in the cover of Volume 3 of the LN you can see on my first post.

IMHO, the 2 main heroines of Maou Gakuin, Misha and Sasha, are more interesting than Rumia and Sistine from Rokudenashi, because Sistine is too childish and too loud/noisy at times, and Rumia is depicted as a damsel in distress girl that always needs saving many times, and Riel is too klutzy and airheaded for my tastes.

In comparison, one of the 2 main heroines of Maou Gakuin, Misha, might be the silent type and not talkative, but despite talking slowly, softly and with as few words as possible, she is not dumb or airheaded like Riel, as she has demonstrated a good level of intelligence and high perception/analytical thinking of others despite her quiet personality when reading the WN.

Her character design is also more cuter than Rumia and Sistine, and both Rumia and Sistine also have too friendly or too hyper/tsundere personalities that I find too noisy, childish and lacking in nobility and elegance, and both of those qualities are present in the 2 main heroines of Maou Gakuin, whose names are Misha and Sasha.

Overall Score : 9 ( This is the best Ore TUEEEEE ( Overpowered MC ) fantasy battle school novel that I've ever read so far, and it even ranks higher than Magi's Grandson, which I gave an 8. For making a comparison, since I hate battle LNs that have a very strong harem feel to it, I gave Seiken Tsukai World Break a 3, Juuou Mujin no Fafnir a 2, and Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance a 4. In comparison, Mahouka Koukou's harem element is not too strong or overly obvious, and there are multiple male friends of the MC, and multiple other side couples formed as the story progresses, so I gave Rettousei an 8.5.

So, here's my Top 3 most liked battle school JP novels ( for your reference )
1. Maou Gakuin ( Score : 9 )
2. Rettousei ( Score : 8.5 )
3. Magi's Grandson ( Score : 8 )

Since Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi's harem element is not as strong as the ones mentioned above like Seiken Tsukai, Juuou Mujin, etc, I gave Akashic Records a 5.5, which is higher than Seirei Tsukai's 4 which I gave. The only reason I didn't give Akashic Records a higher score is because I don't quite like Rumia and Sistine due to the reasons I already mentioned. In fact, Cecily from Magi's Grandson, and the sisters Misha and Sasha from Maou Gakuin does a better job as MC's heroines compared to Rumia, Sistine, and Riel, IMHO.

The common similarities of those Top 3 novels that I like is, they all have side couples/side pairings for other characters in MC's group of core character comrades other than the MC/heroines.....
Nymene is offline   Reply With Quote