View Single Post
Old 2016-09-04, 22:18   Link #45
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
- The villagers aren't wrong when they blame Emilia for what's happening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
That's like blaming someone who was hit by a car for other people getting hurt while the ones in the car that hit them speeds away in a panic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
If she wasn't around then there would be no reason for the witch cult to attack the village.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin-san View Post
Strange logic. Instead of blaming the actual perpetrators, blame the victim of said perpetrators? That's like people caught up in a bank robbery blaming the bank for the harm they suffered.
I'll probably post on the episode as a whole in a bit, but I wanted to comment on this interesting back-and-forth first.

GDB and Kakurin-san, I certainly understand that moridin84's comment might be morally displeasing to you. I get why you take exception here.

That being said, moridin84 does have a point. "Blame" is a strong word, and I'm not sure I'd go that far, but this much is almost certainly true - If Emilia had chosen somewhere else to live, somewhere much farther away, these villagers would have likely remain unharmed. That's cold, maybe even as cold as Puck can be, but it's still true.

Whether Emilia likes it or not (and I suspect it's mostly "not"), she is a special person. And as a special person, she draws special attention. This is why the car accident and bank robbery analogies honestly don't work that well. With one important exception, Emilia is like a wanted freedom fighter hiding out near a remote village - The dictator's brutal forces are drawn to that village because she's there. For the villagers in my analogy, and for the actual villagers in this show, if this special wanted person wasn't living near them, they'd be safe. So the villagers in this show have a point, their fear and anger are understandable. Yes, it's nasty, but their lives are truly at stake, and so are the lives of their families. The main thing I take from moridin's point here is that we shouldn't condemn the villagers. They are in fact technically correct that if Emilia was living far away from them, they would be safe. The danger they sensed is very real, as they have now been brutally attacked, with it seeming like some have been massacred.

This episode has actually given me a greater appreciation for Emilia and her plight. It's good to truly see that her desire for equality likely goes beyond simple bland platitude to something very personal and very real. Emilia's special status causes her, and the people living nearby her, major problems. It makes sense that she'd think something like "Why can't all people just be equal? Then I wouldn't have to put up with the horrible curse of my special status!"

Yes, Emilia's situation is brutally unfair, in all likelihood. Because that's the important exception to my analogy above - Emilia likely did nothing to cause this, whereas the freedom fighter did in fact take up arms at some point in order to gain his fame/notoriety. It appears that Emilia is wanted and targeted purely due to what she is (a half-elf with silver hair), and not anything that she's done. Nonetheless, the villagers are truly separate 3rd parties in all of this, so while their position is cold/harsh, it does make practical sense.