View Single Post
Old 2016-08-30, 04:05   Link #38
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
I think here we are getting into "big" and "small" definitions of problem and by your standards many sports, slice of life and comedy anime will have no "problems" to close at all!

IMO, for it to qualify as an problem, it only needs to be an issue the show presented that attracted interest. A team that won twice against the protagonists, regardless of circumstances would seem to qualify. Especially if it can attract people to say " Miho still hasn't defeated Darjeeling in combat." or " I like that she can't beat her."

By the way, technically, it is possible to "close" an issue without beating it. But Girls und Panzer is a show of simplicity (if it was playing complicated, KMM would have won), and the "win after loss" solution is still the most conventional, easiest closure.

But really, I have a question. Are we really quibbling over how big a problem has to be to qualify as worthy of closure, or do you two have some real reasons you either want Darjeeling to win a third match or to leave this issue in its present state?
Some sport series don’t have to end with MCs beating his/her/their main rivals for it to be good and on-point. See the inspiring, massively-praised and successful Hikaru no Go, among others. Also, it’s not just complicated series who did that. A simple sport anime for kids like Ganbare, Kickers! did that too, and there’s nothing wrong with that coz some sport series prefer to focus on the MC’s growth as a goal rather than beating the enemy/rival. So it was never a problem, narrative-wise.