View Single Post
Old 2004-01-03, 19:01   Link #5
ClassicDrogn
Raving Mechafreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
Funimation did this with DBZ, and irritated many DBZ fans. TOKYOPOP is raking Initial D over the coals with this (not that the original music was any good to boot) and people hate them for it.
No, I said someone who knows their ass from their elbow: the DBZ dub is therefore an example of 'what you will be fired for producing' not 'see, this is what we want' The old Pioneer Tenchi stuff that had redone, english OP/ED themes is more along the lines if what I mean, or (somewhat less so) Bubble Gum Crisis. With the cost of the licence for M7, it has to be aimed at the mass market, not us crazy fans who have enough sense to realise how much better that Japanese VAs generally are (I would have said always, except for Excel Saga, where the dub track is absolutely incredibly good... and I watch the subtitles anyway because it's the only way to understand Excel's ranting) and can read fast enough to use subtitles. We're a niche market, 8-12 robot toy buyers are a mass market, and damn it, I'm sick of year after year of bloody Power Rangers. Let's show these kids a real mecha show for a change, eh?

- CD
ClassicDrogn is offline   Reply With Quote