View Single Post
Old 2016-08-04, 12:45   Link #24
gocav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semblance_of_Power View Post
Has there even been any significant number of actually good live action adaptations from Japan? talking specifically about cases where the original material was high on fantasy aspects and not just character drama type of shows.

The only one that comes to mind are the Samurai X/RK movies. As far as I know everything else has been terrible or maybe acceptable in keeping with the spirit of the original source but still pretty bad when compared to mainstream entertainment.
Wasn't there one based on Ring, I think. Never saw it but I heard it was good. Also, The Magnificent Seven was based on Seven Samurai(both awesome). I should point out that both of these were films used as a basis and not something like SAO where they are trying to simply make a live action version. It would have been much simpler and better if they had chosen to do the former rather than the latter. At this point, I think the best case scenario would be if they told the story of a guild based in America rather than the primary characters of the LNs/anime. This way they could do whatever they want with race and won't have a Starblazers-type but use the characters we know in periodic appearances to provide familiarity to the fans.
gocav is offline   Reply With Quote