View Single Post
Old 2016-03-22, 15:18   Link #30
Heir of the Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botan_TM View Post
Not a method to kill Beta, but to kill Laser-class. As I have noticed, before fully engaging Beta armies are trying to kill Laser-class in order to use save aerial/artillery bombardment. So as a last resort if Laserjagd etc. failed. Such loses are tolerable

Both yours and mine idea is about killing those with small nukes.

So basically such order: try get Laser-class with cruise missiles, if if do not work perform Laserjagd or hope they walk close to nuke mine, after succeeding in any of those sent a barrage.
Something like that. I was focusing on using airbusts to minimize fallout, but redundant strategies are always a good thing.

Hum... One way you might be able to address some of the challenges with nuclear land mines would be if you could use 'just-in-time deployment'. Maybe some kind high-speed vehicle that could sally past the MLR and rapidly emplace the mines, along with a bunch of decoys. Ideal decoy would probably be the physics package of the mine with the electronics mimicked as closely as possible (prehaps slightly more) and including anti-tamper devices.

As for yield... the U.S. W80 (produced starting in 1980) has a maximum diameter of 12 inches and is 32 inches long, weighs a bit under three hundred pounds, and has a variable yield that can be set to anywhere from 5 to 150 kilotons.

Popping a few of these off on Nukemap, it appears that the with the W80, the 400+ joule/cm^2 effect zone (this is the range where the thermal flash can be expected to have explosive effects) will have a radius of slightly more than 1.5 kilometers, and the 20 psi blast overpressure zone would extend out to at least one kilometer, and would be signfigantly less affected by terrain features. I believe it is entirely reasonable to expect that any Laser-class caught in this radius would be destroyed.

The rather more... creative... thermonuclear anti-laser stragety I've come up with is a bit more outlandish and possibly less suitable for defensive operations. It's something I call The Strategic Flashbang.
Heir of the Void is offline   Reply With Quote