View Single Post
Old 2016-02-08, 02:36   Link #10
Heir of the Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick05 View Post
While I agree in what you say, I will say that not everything was ethically or tactically correct.

While it was necessary to nuke out Athabasca Hive, the US should have waited and helped more in the evacuation plans before overnuking the BETA and THE CANADIANS without asking permission.

I will admit that they did better in Operation Lucifer when they did the same but gave a 4 minute warning. Japan was angry that they used experimental weapons in their soil, and their best engineer/designer was killed in that operation (Takamura).
That's wonderfully idealistic, but far too dangerous. If there were any laser-class in the second lander, giving them time to deploy and for the haze of vaporized rock to clear is an unacceptable risk.

See, Athabasca is a tiny town (population of slightly under three thousand today) in the middle of nowhere. It counts as part of the the 'couple of fences' between Kansas and the North Pole. If you don't launch the missiles, those people are going to get eaten anyway; there's nowhere to evacuate them to, and no way to deploy conventional forces in time to stop the chomp.

(And going slightly off topic, I usually assume that the 'turned half of Canada into a radioactive wasteland' thing was a bad joke, because atomic bombs do not work like that. At all. Except maybe in Fallout games. But seriously, if it's an in-joke, it's actually hilarious.)

As for Lucifer... The fact that they got the reaction they did after the G-Bombs turned the fight around pretty much vindicates not asking permission. The smart move would have been to start the heavy bombardment to get the Laser-class firing and building up heat (plus the AL cloud - Serious question, how much good does that actually do? It didn't help half of Yui's squad in Total Eclipse), then drop the bombs without bothering with the landing.
Heir of the Void is offline   Reply With Quote