View Single Post
Old 2015-05-01, 00:42   Link #89
faiz blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
^ yeah, we kinda knew that, but why on earth does the USNA put her in one of the most crucial leading role within their army? They could have done what Japan did with Tatsuya, incorporate Lina into one of special ops, gave a "special" title with "special" misson, just don't let her bear the burden of being a highly ranked military officer (yet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProxyAccount View Post
It's really contrary to United States military philosophy to put someone in command that hasn't had leadership training + experience at the minimum. Even in Vietnam, the average age of someone in the enlisted ranks was still twenty. The youngest company CPT that I know of was 21 years old and he was a highly decorated, exceptional soldier.

Therefore, I would chalk it up to plot necessity and not look at the issue very deeply. Otherwise, Sirius would be a twenty-something year old butter-bar LT posing as an exchange high school student or, more likely, an English teacher.
I think there might be a misunderstanding about what exactly the Sirius position entitles. The most important duty of the supreme commander of the STARS is to keep the men in line and punish transgressors. As shown in the novel, he is the one put in charge of dealing with any eventual deserter. More than a leader, he is a supervisor.

That's why the Sirius is always the strongest magician, regardless of his qualifications as a commanding officer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonddude42 View Post
I think part of the reason Lina seems to be considered "not smart" has more to do with her not being use to challenging opponents.
Actually, the author himself admitted that he built Lina's character on top of the concept of "someone really strong in a fight, but quite hopeless at everything else", so...