View Single Post
Old 2015-03-25, 19:46   Link #57
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Academus View Post
I believe the anime is an adaptation of the game rather than the war. In the game, you only lose kanmusu when you push your luck. In other words, in the game's world, you sink your own kanmusu. In anime, your kanmusu could sink any moment, and you have no control over it, nor any way to prevent it. Is that consistent with reality? Yes. Is that consistent with the game? No. Any subsequent mentioning of Kisaragi's sinking only serves to highlight that the adaptation is in name only.
What is the point of an anime if the series should stick with the game logic to that point?

An anime isn't supposed to just mimick the source material, but it needs it own cohension. Why on earth do we have to stick with such logic that only prevents players to lose their ships due to sheer bad luck?
Does that mean we also need battles that are stuck with 1 shelling phase and voila? How do we explain that a Kanmusu can just tank 3 wo air all day long just because she started the fight without major damage? Do we have to ask DD to launch their torpedoes only after everyone have had their shelling turn?

It is inane at this point because it is plainly the game with different visuals. That's not even an anime under such terms.
If a series centred on military operations have serious battles, I don't see how you can avoid heavy injuries or even casualties here.

Suffice to say, episode 12 "proved" that sinking could be somehow prevented with damage control. Also there is nothing that could stop them to make someone nearly sinking and have another kanmusu to tow them back to base.
So frankly, I see why people are disatisfied with Kisaragi's sinking, but the concept of sinking by itself isn't fundamentally bad, and it is inherent to the franchise due to burrowed source. They really should have handled this matter in another way.