View Single Post
Old 2015-03-25, 19:42   Link #56
Academus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Actually, I believe the fact someone can sink put the anime "farther" from the game, exactly because it makes sense for kanmusu to sink should a war breaks out. Of course, this aspect of the series is not required if the series is solely focused on slice of life and the likes, which I already explained why I found that detrimental.

I don't need gratuitious victims whatsoever, and I also think the way they handled Kisaragi was awkward. However, the fact they can sink give a certain tension when they are engaging a serious fight. In fact, most anime only viewers were suprised that someone died for real as they couldn't take the fights seriously at all prior episode 3.
The whole problem with Kisaragi's fate is that it wasn't built properly and was quickly washed away after episode 4. It is even worse when episode 6 followed up, as it gives the impression the anime staff has no idea what they wanted to do.

That's why I'm on the same page as Seihai: always referring to the game is a burden because it leads to a lot of troubles and nonsensical comments (like how people claimed the admiral was an idiot despite kisaragi's sinking couldn't be his fault anyway).
There is a certain balance to keep so the anime could just make a "reference" instead of directly borrowing a mechanic that doesn't flow well in an anime environment.
I believe the anime is an adaptation of the game rather than the war. In the game, you only lose kanmusu when you push your luck. In other words, in the game's world, you sink your own kanmusu. In anime, your kanmusu could sink any moment, and you have no control over it, nor any way to prevent it. Is that consistent with reality? Yes. Is that consistent with the game? No. Any subsequent mentioning of Kisaragi's sinking only serves to highlight that the adaptation is in name only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosprophet View Post
From this info, Kisaragi's sinking would actually come from the game creator.
Then he should stick back to game development, and anime's stuff should ask themselves why they agreed to such a stupid idea.
Academus is offline   Reply With Quote