View Single Post
Old 2015-03-25, 19:23   Link #51
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Actually, I believe the fact someone can sink put the anime "farther" from the game, exactly because it makes sense for kanmusu to sink should a war breaks out. Of course, this aspect of the series is not required if the series is solely focused on slice of life and the likes, which I already explained why I found that detrimental.

I don't need gratuitious victims whatsoever, and I also think the way they handled Kisaragi was awkward. However, the fact they can sink give a certain tension when they are engaging a serious fight. In fact, most anime only viewers were suprised that someone died for real as they couldn't take the fights seriously at all prior episode 3.
The whole problem with Kisaragi's fate is that it wasn't built properly and was quickly washed away after episode 4. It is even worse when episode 6 followed up, as it gives the impression the anime staff has no idea what they wanted to do.

That's why I'm on the same page as Seihai: always referring to the game is a burden because it leads to a lot of troubles and nonsensical comments (like how people claimed the admiral was an idiot despite kisaragi's sinking couldn't be his fault anyway).
There is a certain balance to keep so the anime could just make a "reference" instead of directly borrowing a mechanic that doesn't flow well in an anime environment.

That's why few changes like sinking and combat phases were necessary. I don't mind tongue-in-cheek jokes like the "expedition screen" with the akatsuki, but anything beyond that is a very bad idea.
Oh and it would be best if they keep fun times exclusively for casual scenes instead of jumping the shark right in the middle of the most important operation they ever had.