View Single Post
Old 2015-01-06, 00:21   Link #104
Darthtabby

So we're on to Part Two. I'm not sure there's going to be enough activity to keep this going until the end of the season, but we're also moving into the part of the series that made it really memorable for a lot of people so perhaps there's hope.

Episode 14: "The Targeted Academy"

For the time being at least I'm going to skip the director's interview quote about this episode since it's somewhat spoilerific.

I've probably mentioned this before, but one of the things I really like about HiME from an aesthetic perspective is its use of colour. The scene at the beginning of the episode showing the bridge being blown away and its aftermath looks gorgeous.

I've often viewed the Searrs arc as being somewhat weak and of secondary importance in the overall scheme of things. But this actually seemed like a pretty decent episode, even if it's largely set up for the next one. From a character perspective, I think it's notable that Mai realizes that there are other victims aside from herself, and that unlike most of them, she actually has the power to affect the situation.

One thing that I don't tend to give a lot of thought to which might be notable for a first time viewer is the scene where Mashiro uses an orphan to animate a doll and attack Alyssa. Her being able to do that certainly has some implications. Then again Alyssa is an (artificial) HiME and she's able to manipulate orphans as well.

Speaking of Alyssa, she's certainly not easy to phase. She looks downright contemptuous of Mashiro's attempt to attack her.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote