View Single Post
Old 2014-12-21, 19:56   Link #42
Casshern

Up until the death of Sarutobi I'd give it an 8/10. Compared to how the whole thing ended, the first arc was kinda cute. The chuunin arc introduced some awesome new rivals and the Konoha siege was also a pretty good arc. Sarutobi vs Oro was a great fight. I remember we used to debate on the forum back then if Shukaku was a tailed beast or not.

From the time Sasuke left Konoha and until the end of the series I'd give it a 4/10. I didn't like how the abilities became ridiculous, starting with the sound 4 and culminating up to the VotE fight for part 1, and getting even worse in part 2. It was ok at first with just a couple of characters being monstrous like Oro and Gaara, but not when every character needed to be a freak to stay relevant. In part 2 it got even worse with ridiculously overpowered abilities like teleporting, immortality, unsealing stuff from the death god etc.

The first 2-3 arcs just gave me different expectations. They had some awesome abilities but they were still human and still fought "ninja-like". You couldn't really say that any of the akatsuki were "ninja-like", and that theme just carried on for the rest of the new powerful characters. Then there were too many characters that were outright stronger than the jinchuuriki, which kinda defeated the point of using the tailed beasts as weapons. Apart from 8 and 9 tails, the rest were pretty weak.

The motives and reasoning of some characters was just weird, and by some characters I mean every Uchiha, but especially Itachi, Sasuke, Madara and Obito. Explaining it off by saying the sharingan makes them crazy (or "sensitive" lol) was a pretty cheap cop-out imo. Their behaviour ruined the whole narrative.

The theme of 3 man teams - specifically male genius/male hothead/female healer - was done to death several times over. Also, lol at Neji being the only one of the original Konoha 12 to die, and I think Kishi had even said in an interview than none of them would die.

Overall my experience of Naruto after Sasuke left Konoha was waiting for a few cool fights while being bored to mildly annoyed with everything in between. I wish Kishi had stuck to his original ideas, that Sarutobi was the strongest hokage, that Sakura would be a genjutsu user etc.

Also, -3 points for everything to do with Obito. Jiraiya was pretty awesome though.
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote