Thread: Licensed World Trigger [Manga]
View Single Post
Old 2014-11-08, 18:46   Link #63
James Rye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
I've been sort of busy, and so despite the fact I had already read the end of the Invasion Arc early this week, I didn't have time to write my final impressions till today. What I had expected was that there wouldn't have been much activity in the thread, but it sees like James Rye decided to prove me wrong by posting his very through impressions on the chapters

I wish I could respond in full to a lot of what you had written James , since a lot of it was worth commenting on, but I feel I would be repeating a lot of what I want to say in general about the arc. Needless to say, good posts man!

Some things I wanted to touch on however
Glad to see I am not the only reading and talking about WT in this forum! So you saw the new chapter 82 as well? And thanks!

Quote:
There is more to what you wrote here, and I am sorry I had to cut it down to just these two sentences, but having read what you wrote I agree with you that there s little in what would pass as regular fan service/female objectification that you would find in the more popular WSJ titles. There have been minor cases where he skirted the line. Konami in particular is drawn in her Trion body as ''wilder'' than any of the other female characters, and Volume 7's cover did make me raise an eyebrow over her really ... ''interesting'' pose , but even then I never found it to be demeaning of her but rather portrayed her female fury personality well. In general, I would say that World Trigger so far had shown a very balanced portrayal of both its male and female cast.
Yeah, but I feel like Konami is an expection due her using neighbor triggers. Her body trigger could be done by a neighbor nation as well, which could explain the weird arm protection while the legs are shown.
I'm glad though that WT gives the same uniforms to both males and females. Just try to imagine how it would look like if the boys go in their usual armors but the girls are shown with clevage and free stomach and such. Would kind of destroy the whole credibility of Border.^^;

Quote:
I could make theories as to why Ashiahra decided to not go down that path (his art not being well suited for such things, feeling the story not really needing that sort of thing etc.) but I think it might just all come down to what sort of series Ashiahra had envisioned (a sports series) and ultimately became the blue prints to the current series (a sci-fi series). When you think about it in that way, every member of the cast needs to appear at the very least competent, otherwise it would compromise the entire premise and reduce the level of the threat/anticipation future events might hold. That would mean that there isn't much leeway in terms of letting any of the cast members being ''cheapened'', especially the female cast. Everybody needs to appear at the top of their game. Even the haughty Kitora when she had that minor crisis of fate just told herself to step up her game and show why she was an A-Rank agent in the first place.

I will say that even as someone who likes fanservice a good portion of the time, I really like and hope World Trigger continues to be this neutral in its portrayal. I like it.
I like fanservice as well, as long as it fits to the manga that is and I don't think WT is a manga that would profit from fanservice or doing it as excessive as some other battle mangas.
Besides the fanservice you are right about competence, in many battle mangas, where the females are not the main chara/focus, the female charas tend to be...uhm, "less competend than their male parts" for the most part. Which is obvious due most battle mangas being Shounen and thus made to appeal to boys and who boy likes to read how girl fighters whups the male main charas ass over and over again?

In WT females can be as good or even better than their male comrades. Konami is part of what we got told is the "strongest team of Border". She could probably fight people like Jin, Kazama or Tachikawa on her own as well. And she is part of Border longer than Jin which also speaks for her abilties.
Also despite Osamu and Yuuma being the main charas, osamu with the will-power and yuuma with the experience, Chika is the "power house" of them three. She can, even without a black trigger, reach S-class status if she trains correctly. We saw her shooting a hole into the wall of Border, accidently, while Ilgars failed to do the same.
She is right now a huge variable as she is still young and new to this whole battle and war stuff, but I believe that after witnessing...yeah that is spoiler stuff. XD
Don't read it if you don't want too!!!

Spoiler for Seriously don't read it if you don't have read the raw or Viz translations yet! Invasion arc spoiler ahead!:

So yeah, I like that WT's girls are not there to be "eye candy" bu to hold their own weight and to be as important as the boys. And some girls can even top that.

Quote:
I doubt we will get a change soon to the core group, but maybe if the series lasts more than 2 years lol?

As for Usami, yeah, it was very strange how she appeared there. I did wonder whether there was a bigger reason for her leaving Kazama's old Squad tho. Well see if there is any bad blood between the two parties but from the looks of it things seem normal thus far.

She was cuter with shorter hair tho >.>
I hope it does last that long.
I could see Izuho joining Osamu's team though. if she trains hard enough and joins Tamakoma that is.

Also with Jin giving up on his BT and returning into the A-ranks and a new BT welder been searched for in the A-ranks we are already getting some changes. This system will put people into different positions, ranks and also introduce new people as they raise or fall.

Heh, you also like shorter hair? When I got to see Konami in short hair in her battle maiden mode, I was like "gj, Ashihara!". ;D

Quote:
Once again, I mentioned this way back, but I still love how not a single party in this war looks like they are being worfed in favor of making the other look better. Enedora is a beast, but Kazama took his loss with grace and made the right (?) call by telling his team to fall back. I still love his very blunt and direct style, and his line to his team mates was just great. ''Small but Effective'' indeed!

I'll wait for a day to post my impressions on the overall arc, just to see how caught people are by then. Needless to say, really loved the arc, but it was really risky going with it this early.
Aye, same with Ranbanein who lost to the 3 A agents and 7 B agents. He even praised them and had a good laugh at how he lost. That guy really was a sympathic one. So this does not only apply to Border but to it enemies as well, which I enjoy very much.^^

I hope I can get to read your impressions soon enough, if you gonna talk about the whole arc all at once it gonna become a big comment for sure. :3
I agree that it was risky but I guess Ashihara was told to show not only the readers but also the Jump editors that he can create a good battle arc and I think this Invasion arc was done very well. And unlike other arcs that goes on and on for YEARS this one made it nicely paced, with lots of different battles, well-thought battle plans, consistent power rankings and lots of team play which you hardly get to see nowadays in shounen battles as the usual norm is to spam magic nukes to get the win. XD

Well, chapters got updated till 65. Oh man, that's a lot to talk about...and then there's the new raw as well to talk about...

Spoiler for Spoiler Chapter 82 - don't read it if you don't want to be spoilered:

Chapter 60-65

Gods, if I write everything down I thought about this chapters, the battles and stuff shown/told giving way to new theories about Aftokrator and what not, then this would take forever.
I gonna narrow it down:

Those chapters were awesome, 'nuff said!
James Rye is offline   Reply With Quote