View Single Post
Old 2014-07-23, 12:54   Link #89
VORTIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp View Post
Well, how would you handle it then? Info-dumps aren't exactly good either. I personally had no issues with the "new" abilities used in defeating Ichijou... because they weren't exactly new, nor were they unexpected. As I said, his self-restoration was shown very clearly in episode 3 (shown, and not told by Tatsuya). His flash cast ability was told by him and Mizuki. With the way he was acting there, the feeling was more that he short-selled his abilities. Last but not least, flash cast as a name was mentioned in the last episode. In my opinion it's handled just right for the medium. You can't just apply the LN standards here.
A three minute Superman-style intro at the beginning of episode 1 explaining his abilities, limitations, and how he got them would have knocked probably 75-80% of the criticism of this series out of the park before it even began. Sure, sure, "show, don't tell" but this series already does plenty of telling already. With all the exposition this anime already contains, it fails to do it in a concise, informative way that lets us get back to enjoying the program in a natural fashion. Instead of continually giving us long vague explanations, they could simply tell us "Tatsuya can X, but not Y", and get on with the action!