View Single Post
Old 2014-05-31, 16:33   Link #54
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
The main reason why I'm unhappy with the anime conversion is the unskilled heavy-handedness of the script. Certain things (Tatsuya praise/worship, Miyuki broconism) which are already very obvious and most definitely don't need any further emphasis are being played up in a particularly big way. At the same time, many small details to flesh out the various characters properly are sacrificed for it - that's a bad tradeoff. *sigh* ... I wish they would sack the one responsible and pick the scriptwriter of Hataraku Maou-sama. Things cound definitely be handled much better.
Fully agree on that count, as I said I'm starting to blend out the over the top Tatsuya praise and rather focus on the couple of side character scenes that do appear. I liked Mayumi's playfulness and her getting miffed at Tatsuya's reaction in the bus. That follow-up with Hanzou was also pretty funny. And Shizuku's pretty witty with her quick reaction to get Miyuki out of her depression. That V-sign at the end was awesome.
Also interesting was the showing of Mikihiko's abilities.

As for Hataraku Maou-sama, execution definitely much better, however if I remember correctly it adapted like two volumes in 12 episodes with does give more room in fleshing out other things.

Quote:
o Miyuki/Tatsuya are Yotsuba (a "Names" Master clan) and visiting school incognito
o Tatsuya has been experimented on by his own mother
o Aoki reduced Tatsuya's position to "Miyuki Ojousama's bodyguard", who has been tagged as heir/successor to the clan
1 and 3 have been broached in earlier episodes, but also have been buried under discussions about Tatsuya's overpoweredness or the political debates regarding the school system. Together with 2 that has been kind of slightly foreshadowed in another episode it starts to shape up their relationship with their extended family.