View Single Post
Old 2014-04-10, 16:43   Link #31
millie10468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
First 12 volumes.

I don't follow. I'll also add that magicians don't exist, so saying he represents the magicians in current society isn't saying he's some form of social commentary.

If you write a story where God himself descends to tell the MC "by My will, you're not the strongest. Because you need to go save the world". Then the character's strength is justified by the plot. Both the how and why. I'd still find it rather... unsatisfying writing.

Tatsuya, to me, is the culmination of what it's meant to be a magician in their society. Simply put, an effective weapon. How and why he got there isn't of any particular interest to those who make use of him. Isn't that why the Yotsuba were even able to go that far in trying to make him a better magician. Of course, that's what I personally got from the novels, therefore he wouldn't be a character whose OPness would bother me. However, I can also see how him being seemingly "overspecced" can bother other people.

And I meant "justified by the plot" in the sense that he was written with a specific set of powers that advance the idea of magicians=weapons and how they could get there. The example you gave could also make for an interesting plot depending on how it's written. A character who's strength is justified by the plot doesn't give the author a free pass in the actual writing of the story so maybe it is the way the author went about the writing of Tatsuya's strength that leaves you unsatisfied?

But it might hit an iceberg...
millie10468 is offline   Reply With Quote