Thread: Licensed Log Horizon (novel)
View Single Post
Old 2013-10-12, 09:57   Link #61
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estavali View Post
Mamare seems pretty awkward when it comes to narrative; his style is more fluid with MaoYuu's script format.

Another problem, one that also pops up in MaoYuu, is that Mamare have the tendency, an urge really, to be as precise as he can when it comes to details, especially when he's explaining a concept. While this makes good info dump, it can hurt the flow of his writing, which is as highlighted by aohige above.

To sum it up, Mamare is good with world building and he's also good at using tropes and stereotypes to create the effect he wants. His main weakness is the way he tells the story, which I think will be improved on now that he's gone pro and has an editor to work with him =3
Yeah pretty much. Not just info dump, but also seems to kinda wander off into tangent before realizing he needs to come back.

The fundamental "pacing" of writing seems to be amateurish level.
It may be due to his background, starting as an armature writer posting his works on 2ch.
I didn't see any disclosure on his background, but I doubt it's one of formal writing school.

He seems to be ripe with great ideas and conversational narrations, and use those strength to make up for the poorly structured pacing.